cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying from a new seller with zer feedback

I want to bid on a guitar, but the seller is new (joined December 2023), and has zero feedback. Thinking I could get a feel for this person I messaged him/her,  but no reply was forthcoming after three attempts.

I also noticed one of the pictures had some writing in Russian, although the sellers address is North Carolina, USA.  I have several Russian friends and I’m certainly not trying to disparage anyone but I’ve been scammed by a Russian guy once before.
   Should I bid on this item? What if the seller sends mails me an item that is not as advertised? Or worse yet, an empty box/package?

IMG_6220.png

Doesn’t EBay release the money to the seller once the package arrives? How much grief and how long do I have to deal with and wait to get my money back from EBay? Will I get my money back from Ebay? This is $1000  a substantial amount of money (for  common folk like me anyway). 
   I’ve included the picture with the Russian writing.

Any help from the experienced EBay community would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@raz_ma_taz 

< Should I bid on this item? >     

The replies you get can have more informed advice if you will provide the eBay item number of the listing. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Looks like it is a Russian cellphone.

It could be anywhere in the world.

I would never buy a $1k item on Ebay from any seller I did not know.   Too many people know how to game the system,

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Here is my advice:  Never enter into any transaction if it involves a substantial amount of money and you have doubts about it.  Trust your gut.

-

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

The EBay item # of the instrument I’m referring to is: item number 126270845679

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@raz_ma_taz wrote: ... zero feedback.... I messaged him/her,  but no reply was forthcoming after three attempts.

I also noticed one of the pictures had some writing in Russian... 

New seller, no replies to three messages from you, and Russian words plus Russian electric outlets in the background of the images.  This listing has more red flags than the Moscow May Day parade. Do not bid.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Scam in progress.

Loose Cannon
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for your reply!

There are several of these top of the line Fender Guitars(four up for bid right now) all from new EBay accounts with no feedback and all with a similar format listing. That doesn’t seem suspicious does it?!

Unfortunately they’re quite a few people bidding who are apparently not very suspicious and don’t find these listings unusual enough to prevent them from bidding. I have a feeling someone is going to get ripped off.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

To answer one of your questions, no, new sellers do not get their money as soon as item is delivered,

New seller funds can be held up for as long as 30 days.  But as others have stated, there are enough seller anomalies here that you should run the other way. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

If he's not responding to messages in the "honeymoon period" before the sale, what's it going to be like if you have a problem after the sale?

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I know, right!

Lots &  lots of red flags! Big ones to, like the kind they fly over car dealerships.

Humorous & poignant reply. It’s amazing how naive one can be when you want something to be true., but the skeptic in your mind really knows better!

Thanks so much for your response.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

 To: nobody’s _ perfect

PS.   I’m an Electrician and I didn’t even notice the European style electrical receptacles! I believe Russia uses similar devices.

These pictures were taken in Russia.

YIKESlll

IMG_6221.jpeg

Thanks for pointing that out and making me  feel really stupid!

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I’ve sold & bought lots of stuff on EBay, but want exactly sure about the payment schedule.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@raz_ma_taz 

The seller registered and started that auction close to the same day.   Most new accounts have selling limits, and I think they are usually lower than the starting price for this auction.  The serial number got a hit as being sold on a Yahoo Japan auction but with different pictures, and since it google won't translate the page I can't tell when.  No direct hits on Google Lens. 

They probably should have cropped the Russian out of their "phone pics".  LOL. Looks like perfect fodder for the fake tracking scam.  

Of course, it may be legit even though too good to be true. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I would not risk it.  The fake tracking number scam is very popular these days. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply