cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers - Pay extra attention to shipping costs on large items due to new "Dimensional Weight" rules.

Buyers are probably in for some sticker shock due to the new "Dimensional Rate" rules on Parcel Select shipping that the USPS put into place over the weekend. The new "Rule of 166" is going to have a huge impact on the cost of shipping medium to large parcels. I recently listed a large, but not that heavy, item that will go in a 26x15x14 box with a shipping weight of 8 lbs. However, the new rule means that this will be charged as if it weighs 33 lbs., due to the size (26x15x14/166 = 32.89). This results in a "Economy" shipping rate of almost $70 to the West coast. In effect, for many items, the "Economy" shipping option is no longer a factor. As a result, Ebay may no longer be a viable option for purchasing some items. It may be back to brick and mortar. This may also be why Amazon is starting their own delivery.
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Buyers - Pay extra attention to shipping costs on large items due to new "Dimensional Weight" rules.

It didn't charge my customer the correct price either.  He bought on the 22nd. Now I have to pay $6 more to ship! The weight and dimensions are less than I had on item. How on earth are we supposed to know what to put in now?! Can't wait to see how much more it will cost me on the other large one I need to ship. The guys lives 25 minutes from me. This is nuts!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@tootsygirl wrote: .... How on earth are we supposed to know what to put in now? ...

Measure the box?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You need to get a scale and a measuring tape. Pack your item in a box, weigh it and measure it. Then you input that information when you write the ad. YOU MUST use calculated shipping.  Then Ebay will automatically calculate the rate.

remember to add a handling fee if you want.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@mopata wrote:
Buyers are probably in for some sticker shock due to the new "Dimensional Rate" rules on Parcel Select shipping that the USPS put into place over the weekend. . . .

No, it's the SELLERS who have to be aware of it.  The buyer is entitled to rely on the seller's s/h calculations in the listing, whether those are based on an accurate calculation or not.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Actually, buyers should have always been paying attention to the S&H of an item they are purchasing.  However, it is the seller that needs to be aware of the particulars such a weight & dimensions of items being shipped when setting up one's listings.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Have you researched rates of other couriers ?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply