cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants a refund for iCloud locked iPhone 7 plus

I'm going to try to keep this as brief as possible but still give the background and reason for my question. I bought an iPhone 7 plus off Craigslist about a year ago. I met seller, looked over phone, was in good condition, turned it on, seemed fine so I went home. Later when I turned it on and started the setup process I got my first introduction to the iCloud activation lock. Of course I could never get ahold of the seller again. I didn't stress at first figuring there would be some work around. We all know where that got me. So after months of searching I gave up and had read somewhere that people buy iCloud locked phones on eBay to sell for parts. So I got an eBay and PayPal account and listed it. And spent months learning about all the eBay scams people try. On the 13th of this month I got a message from what I thought was a legitimate buyer... feedback over 200 and all positive... asking for imei. I gave it to him and he messaged back shortly after offering $200. At this point I had it listed at $275 obo. So I agreed and he paid right away through PayPal. I shipped it and it was delivered on the 20th. Of course PayPal holds the money for 3 days after it's delivered in case of dispute but I'm not worried because I was honest in my listing. 

Title:. iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Black, Verizon - FOR PARTS ONLY! READ ENTIRE DESCRIPTION!

Description: iPhone 7 plus 128 gb, jet black, Verizon. It is iCloud locked. Cannot be activated! However it is in excellent condition, no marks or scratches. Has an Otterbox case and I'll even throw in a hot pink charger. NOT original charger. Not in original box. Has Sim card for Verizon if you can get it unlocked. Sold AS IS. NO REFUNDS.

I thought that it was written so there would be no issue, I had given him imei prior to him buying it. Then on the 21st I had a message on eBay that he's requesting a return. 

Reason

Doesn't match description or photos

Comments

Hello. I want to return it, because the seller or original owner put iCloud status in Lost Mode. So, we can you use it for parts. It’s never been opened and ready to send to seller. Please, accept our return as soon as you can. Thanks

And he sent a screenshot of the imei check he did on the 13th and another one he did on the 21st on the same site, sickw.com. On the 13th, 
iCloud Locked: On
iCloud status: Clean
Blacklist status: Clean

Then on the 21st,
iCloud Locked: On
iCloud status: Lost

Now I didn't turn on find my iPhone because it's not iCloud locked to my account. If it was I know I could have sold it for a lot more than $200 if it was unlocked. I had thought that all iCloud locked phones had find my iPhone on. And that only blacklists showed the phone as lost or stolen. And considering I've had the phone for close to a year it would be a huge coincidence that the original owner suddenly decided to turn on find my iPhone a year later during the exact time I finally sold it. So one of my questions is...how is it possible for it to show as clean one day and lost a week later? Could the buyer have done something to make it show up as lost now? I've dealt with so many scammers over the past months I feel like if I don't fight the return I'll end up refunding his money and end up with who knows what if anything returned to me. My other question is would it even make a difference if he planned on selling it for parts if it was iCloud locked clean or lost?? I've been searching for an answer to both these questions for days and can't find an answer. I just want this phone gone but I'd like to at least get some of my money back especially after all the headache it's caused me! Any insight would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for this being so long!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Buyer wants a refund for iCloud locked iPhone 7 plus

If the original owner has it in lost or stolen mode, the guy you bought it from might not be the original owner.

eBay will give you no choice but to accept the return.

Once you get phone back, there are ways to get it unlocked.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Actually this one you have a chance at winning because you listed it corrected. You listed it for parts or not working in the item condition field and you stated that it is icloud locked. To win, you have to call customer service. Ebay has been refusing to close snad returns in the seller favor so it might be difficult and you might have to call a few times. I will say that.....it is probably in your best interest to accept the return and get the phone back. Winning an ebay case isn't always the end of it-the buyer can file with paypal if they used their paypal account to pay or do a credit card chargeback if they funded the payment with a credit card.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

This is why I do not sell electronics on ebay. Have you called ebay about this? I would not even try to guess what they will or will not do in this case. Please just call them on the phone and demand to speak to someone you can communicate easily with. And don't go back and forth with this buyer. I think you should fight this until it is resolved because you have nothing to lose but a little time and it just may end up in your favor. It seems to me you did everything right. Good luck. 

energy flows where attention goes

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

My main concern with issuing a refund is that this buyer is trying something...even though he has decent feedback it just seems...off. That's why I'm hoping someone can answer my questions about the iCloud status changing after he received it and about whether the iCloud status being clean or lost would even make a difference if he's just selling it for parts anyways. I would assume that with it having the iCloud activation lock that the lost status wouldn't have any added impact on selling parts...but I have been searching for days now for an answer and haven't been able to find anything. Cause honestly, even though it would suck to lose even more money over this phone having to pay it return shipping and what-not, if I was sure he wasn't pulling something and would return the phone as I sent it to him I might just refund it cause I'm over all the scams I've seen people try to pull! How do these people sleep at night??? Unbelievable!
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@freak_74 wrote:

.......all the scams I've seen people try to pull! How do these people sleep at night??? Unbelievable!

They sleep with a sense of accomplishment of having had another successful day of earning a living or of being better off now than before. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@freak_74 wrote:

.......all the scams I've seen people try to pull! How do these people sleep at night??? Unbelievable!

They sleep with a sense of accomplishment of having had another successful day of earning a living or of being better off now than before. 

I am truly missing something here ... what?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I am sorry you feel so frustrated about this buyer. However, none of that matters in the scheme of things. With all that being said, did you call ebay? Did you call Apple? I know Apple can't resolve your ebay issue but maybe someone there can answer your questions about the Cloud. The clock is ticking so don't let your time run out or you may get no resolve from ebay.

energy flows where attention goes

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Ok so as of right now, there is no dispute opened. It's just a refund request. I sent buyer another message last night basically saying I believed that the item was exactly as described and with all the buyers out there trying to scam sellers using item not as described return and not returning original item I didn't think a refund was in order. Still no response from him. So should I just let it be for now or should I go ahead and open a dispute?
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@freak_74 wrote:
Ok so as of right now, there is no dispute opened. It's just a refund request. I sent buyer another message last night basically saying I believed that the item was exactly as described and with all the buyers out there trying to scam sellers using item not as described return and not returning original item I didn't think a refund was in order. Still no response from him. So should I just let it be for now or should I go ahead and open a dispute?

Way to go, antagonize an angry buyer. I bet that will turn out just great.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@freak_74 wrote:

The buyer DID open a dispute. A request=a dispute. If you want to fight this, you have to CALL customer service to plead you case-explain that it was listed for parts or not working and that it is iCloud locked. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@stepmea10 wrote:

@freak_74 wrote:

Way to go, antagonize an angry buyer. I bet that will turn out just great.

And your input is helpful how?

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Well for your next sale it is exceptionally helpful advice should you decide to take it.

Don't antagonise a buyer.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Ok so it's been almost a week. After my last post, and I mean within seconds, the buyer closed the return request and filed a item not as described dispute. 8 minutes later, ebay made a decision...in the buyers favor with instructions for them to return phone. Seriously?? 8 minutes? Smh. So at this point I'm pretty much at "whatever" i'll get the stupid phone back and burn it. Well a couple days later I get an email saying ebay refunded buyer because item was returned! Umm no it wasn't!!! So I appealed. And they pretty much instantly overturned their decision in my favor.

although originally the case was closed in buyer's favor because the item was already delivered back to you, I am happy to tell you that I granted your appeal and issue a courtesy refund amounting to $4.38 to cover the return shipping cost charged to your account. Please allow upto 48 hours (excluding holiday) for the funds to be credited back in your account.

I'd like to explain further why we only refunded you the return postage in this transaction. Chris, please know that all our decisions are based on all available information. Please understand that since eBay is an online marketplace, we do not have any means to inspect the items physically. We believe that the best option that we have is to have the item returned to you so that you can inspect it upon receiving it back before issuing a refund. Since the item you received is in the same condition when sold to the buyer, the refund is due to the buyer since he successfully returned the item.

AGAIN...NO he didn't!!! So appeal AGAIN! And this morning...

Good news - we reviewed your case again, and we refunded $ 206.70 to your original payment method.
Just allow up to 48 hours to receive the refund.
For more information about this case, please refer to the email we sent you. This case won't be included when we evaluate seller performance. Note: It may take up to 24 hours to update in your Seller Dashboard.

And also....

Your funds will be available on: 09/02/2018

Well....nothing is showing up in Paypal, it still says closed in buyers favor, buyer issued refund. Why do I get the feeling I'm gonna get screwed anyways?? No money, no phone...hey at least I got my $4.00 shipping back....
Message 15 of 17
latest reply