cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidding question

Hello,

I place a bid on a item. The starting bid is 135, and I placed a max bid of 135 also. If I increase my max bid to 300 (I’m the only bidder currently), the price to me will stay 135 is that correct unless some makes a max bid of 301 or higher? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Bidding question

Yes to the only bidder question . Someone must bid $140.00 (Not sure of bidding increment ) or more to move the bidding from $135.00

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

If you are the only bidder, then the bid will show as $135 no matter how many times you bid.

If somebody bids against you, they must bid at least $2.50 higher than you because that's the bid increment in that price range. eBay will keep you as the high bidder, at one bid increment above the newest  bid, until/unless you are outbid.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/automatic-bidding?id=4014

__ bid increments.png

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

If you could block any bid below your max, everyone would who placed the first bid on an item would bid a ridiculously high amount, and win at the starting price.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

Correct

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

No. It will stay at $135 unless someone bids 137.50, then you'll be bumped up to $140. And so on...

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

If you could block any bid below your max, everyone would who placed the first bid on an item would bid a ridiculously high amount, and win at the starting price.

Imagine how many auctions you could win for $0.99 if you just place an opening bid of a trillion dollars! 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

@soxfaninfl 

>the price to me will stay 135 is that correct unless some makes a max bid of 301 or higher? 

Here are a few ideas I use in bidding on eBay auctions. They have worked well for me over for over 20 years.

1) Never bid on an item until the last few seconds. This takes some planning and you must be awake and watching when the item closes. Never show your hand until the item has less than 15 seconds to go.

2} Because of eBay's proxy bidding system, bidding just a bit above the current high bid is useless. When you do bid, if you really want an item, bid at least twice the current high bid. Thrice would be better.

3) There are websites that will (always for a fee) do the last second bidding for you. I don't use them as I don't like giving my eBay login info to a third party.

HTH.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

@bimm_corp wrote:

@soxfaninfl 

>the price to me will stay 135 is that correct unless some makes a max bid of 301 or higher? 

Here are a few ideas I use in bidding on eBay auctions. They have worked well for me over for over 20 years.

1) Never bid on an item until the last few seconds. This takes some planning and you must be awake and watching when the item closes. Never show your hand until the item has less than 15 seconds to go.

2} Because of eBay's proxy bidding system, bidding just a bit above the current high bid is useless. When you do bid, if you really want an item, bid at least twice the current high bid. Thrice would be better.

3) There are websites that will (always for a fee) do the last second bidding for you. I don't use them as I don't like giving my eBay login info to a third party.

HTH.

No matter how often you repeat it, your point #2 is horrible advice. You bid what you’re willing to pay, whether that’s 10 times the current bid, or only one increment above it.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

There are two circumstances where placing a new bid while you are the current high bidder can cause the "current bid" to go up immediately.  In neither case are you bidding against yourself:

1.  If it is "Reserve not met" and the new bid is high enough to meet the reserve, the current bid goes up to the exact amount of the Reserve Price without need of another bidder.  You are  not bidding against yourself, you are bidding against the Reserve Price which you must meet to win.

2. If you are in the lead by less than a full increment (including having an earlier-placed tying amount) the current bid might go up to the full increment over the underbidder's maximum bid when you  place a new bid (this does not apply when the "current bid" is at the Starting Price because you are the only bidder).  You are not bidding against yourself, you are bidding against the underbidder (the question being WHICH of your bids is used in calculating the price) and the general rule is that the price is 1 increment more than the underbidder's maximum bid.  Then if there are no new bids by anyone except you before the end, the price might go down to the amount of the earlier bid after the end.   This is a long story that has to do with a class action suit about a decade ago.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

Depending upon whether or not the seller has placed a reserve on the auction, the high bid would remain at the starting bid amount until a different bidder places a bid.  If you place another bid of $300 and there are no other bidders bidding, the high bid would stay the same since you cannot bid against yourself.  Provided, of course, there is no reserve.  If there is and your $300 bid meets or exceeds it, the high bid will jump to the amount of the reserve and the reserve being met, the bidding will continue from that point.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

@releasethekraken_1 

>No matter how often you repeat it, your point #2 is horrible advice. You bid what you’re willing to pay, whether that’s 10 times the current bid, or only one increment above it.

Like I said in #2, "IF YOU REALLY WANT AN ITEM". Bidding one increment above current bid is useless. Has always worked for me.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

@bimm_corp wrote:

@releasethekraken_1 

>No matter how often you repeat it, your point #2 is horrible advice. You bid what you’re willing to pay, whether that’s 10 times the current bid, or only one increment above it.

Like I said in #2, "IF YOU REALLY WANT AN ITEM". Bidding one increment above current bid is useless. Has always worked for me.

The usefulness of a bid amount is entirely dependent on what other people bid. If the bid on an item worth $100 is currently $90, and I'm willing to pay $100, your advice is to bid $300. But you don't see the problem there; how sad for you. Here's a clue: tell us what happens when two bidders follow your advice.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

@soxfaninfl 

HTH.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Bidding question

@bimm_corp wrote:

@releasethekraken_1 

Yes, bidding in single increments can be useless.  But placing a ridiculously high bid, for more than you're willing to pay, is also a bad idea.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply