Did you mean: 

Are manny Good Buyers leaving ebay

What are some of the reasons ?

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are manny Good Buyers leaving ebay

Absolutely. I used to be an avid buyer myself but now I only purchase something on eBay if I can't find it cheaper elsewhere (which doesn't happen often anymore). I used to buy clothing and shoes on here regularly, both new and used, and rarely ever had bad experiences. Now my favorite large sellers have closed shop due to high fees, poor sales and abundant scams so there's not much good stuff to buy anymore.

With pre-owned sellers I've found that a lot of the best sellers have vanished. The majority of used clothing sellers I'm finding have bad photos and poor descriptions, and no measurements. On top of that everything is grossly overpriced - which I understand, because how else are you going to make money on here? Once in a while I find awesome deals on here, but that sort of experience is few and far between. It was common for me to get good prices on really nice items on eBay years ago, but for the most part buying isn't fun anymore.

As a seller, I've found that bad buyers keep cropping up at an alarming rate. Very many of the buyers who have been left behind are scammers, people who want to pay as little as possible, and people who are impossible to please. Buying and selling on eBay has become highly unpleasant all around.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Now you're going to have to track down even more people & ask them.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

I am an international buyer (I'm in Australia) and I now find where I used to buy most items on eBay from US and UK, things have changed.

I consider myself a good buyer, and sellers have been kind to me re feedback (I am a prompt payer, allow for slow postal service instead of blaming sellers, like giving good feedback etc) HOWEVER.....

My overseas buying has been seriously curtailed since the advent of the Global Shipping Program.  I've only bought one large item that needed it (and in fact I had no choice as the sellers all used it), but when I look at my usual smaller and cheaper collectables and odds and ends where the GSP charges double (or worse) for shipping I am getting  fed up with eBay.  It was bad enough when the US got it, but now this cancer has spread to the UK.

I'f you've got an inexpensive BIN item and offer the GSP to expand to selling overseas, with $38 for shipping (or more - and NO customs charges) to Oz all I can say is, 'Good luck with that.'

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Ebay doesn't send me promotional ebay bucks offers so I stopped buying.  Why should I pay 10% more than other buyers who get promo deals?  

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Global Shipping program is so slow I find the whole process so annoying. Shopping internationally is equally frustrating "may not ship" is so off putting. A seller should be given 2 options either they ship overseas or they don't. Buyers hate this "may not ship" notice its time wasting for both buyers and sellers.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

Some were past sellers that no longer sell here for one reason or another so they don't buy here either

too many china sellers trying to hide as GOOD USA sellers

search sucks here now. Ebay thinks they know what you want but they don't have a snowball clue. 

Money is tight.

others that do have money are playing it safe and holding on to it to see where the USA economy is going.

To many sellers here selling the same thing so did the number of  good buyers  actually go down or just got spread out thinner? 

postage is getting to the point where it is cheaper to drive to the stores and buy want you need.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

ebay isn't the only game in town anymore. 

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

too many reasons, and most that left didnt bother to stop here and post why. i shop/shopped ebay because it 'was' conveinant. anything i wanted was found here and multiple sellers kept prices low. actually finding the item has become a chore, finding it in my country is even harder. cons and scams are increasing, misleading are vague descriptions are deceptive and every item i consider needs to be carefully investigated! a good example is the recent post on a single boot! some argued it was fine, others fealt it was deceptive, myself, i would rather just shop where i dont need to worry about that. dont care to rehash that particular issue, just that many listings imply one thing but mean something else, either unintentional or on purpose, the end result is the same!

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Too many scammers and ebay doesn't seem to have any desire to stop it.  This is both on the buy and sell side.  As a buyer, I recently was scammed by a new seller and brought it to ebay's attention IMMEDIATELY.  There's even a thread in the help section on it.  I got screwed out of $745 which blows my mind (i'm not giving up on that though).    On the sell side, too  many scammy buyers trying to abuse the returns system for their own gain.  Claiming non-delivery, returning fake items after authentic ones are sent to them, etc. Then there's the chargebacks and the constant raising of fees and regulations, which screws the smaller sellers in favor of the big boys.   Ebay is trying too hard to be amazon and it's going to be their demise.  

If my recent debacle is not resolved, I will no longer buy on ebay and will close my ebay store of 10yrs and hang it up.  

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

You're not asking a question, you're asking for validation of a premise that, in my experience, is doubtful.

I don't see the buyer pool getting worse, or decreasing. I see normal attrition and turnover. The people buying from me now are not the same people who bought from me when I started selling, but it has always been the case that people come and go. The names change, but the nature of the buyers has not gotten worse. If anything, I get much fewer NPBs than I used to, fewer buyers who fuss over things or give me a hard time.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Considering what ebay sells (or at least the sellers on eBay if you want to split hairs) it surprises me that there are so few buyers with thousands and thousands of feedback.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 11 of 34
latest reply

@ed8108  Too new to Selling to give a good answer ... One ID here shows slow but steady growth, another is like a roller coaster, one month up the next down ... the 3rd ID is simply steady but no growth, too few categories for that one seems to be the main issue.

I think a lot depends on what one is Selling ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 12 of 34
latest reply

I have not left , YET .  In the past I would spend 40-45 k a year ( because I have the financial resources  to do so ) under different buying IDs on ebay but not so much any more. Ebay is an entity that has  abused both buyers and sellers  it seems in order to preserve what they think a busness should be . If you post anything that is critical of any level of ebay your post gets removed or you get an " official warning" about what you say about ebay REGARLES OF THE TRUTH.  As the years have gone by I   see  more negativity from all parties. My favorits is the make a best  offer. Ebay gives you three chances to make a BEST OFFER which is in contradiction in terms. It would appear to me that you need to offer at least 95 of the asking price or no deal or your offer gets ignored. Last but , not least there  are  the trollers that at times offer advice but seem to get a thrill out of attacking a poster regardless of what the poster says ( U know who  you are ) .

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@highlow72-10,

"If you post anything that is critical of any level of ebay your post gets removed or you get an " official warning" about what you say about ebay REGARLES OF THE TRUTH".

That is not true at all,  I am very often critical of ebay in what I post on these boards, and do not get warnings often.  When I do get warned, it is not because of what I wrote, but how I wrote it. 

"As the years have gone by I see  more negativity from all parties... Last but , not least there  are  the trollers that at times offer advice but seem to get a thrill out of attacking a poster regardless of what the poster says ( U know who  you are ) . "

All we have to go by is your profile, which shows you started coming to these boards, just before eBay management made its biggest policy shift ever. Those policies were directly responsible for setting sellers against buyers and vice-versa. Those who opposed the policies were called "noise" by the CEO back then, and even though this site gained popularity by making the hard to find and unusual items available to buyers, we were told the "garage sale atmosphere was going to be claened up.

eBay took 3 years to give sellers any help whatsoever, and even then it was only in dribs and drabs, and in the meantime, they kept adding more burdens on sellers. 

Depending on the topic, there can be a lot of vitriol in the replies, and some subjects end up being vehement arguments between a few members, with no resolution possible. Most of the regulars who spend time on the boards, at times have to correct misconceptions, often backed by policy links or quotes.  Often those corrections are seen as attacks on a poster if they are too thin skinned to accept that they are wrong. Other times despite being shown policy, some will argue until doomsday that they are right, and the policy can go to HE-double hockeysticks, and accuse anyone  who posts policy of being an ebay cheerleader.  That can be a huge insult to some members.

"My favorits is the make a best  offer. Ebay gives you three chances to make a BEST OFFER which is in contradiction in terms. It would appear to me that you need to offer at least 95 of the asking price or no deal or your offer gets ignored".

If you feel strongly about Best Offer, then start your own topic about that subject, rather than piggybacking on someone else's. 

FYI,  Buyers and sellers have 5 chances to come to an agreement on a price.

"You can make up to 5 Best Offers for most items. Expired offers, declined offers, and retracted offers all count towards the limit of 5 Best Offers".  Quote from best offer policy

https://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/best-offer.html

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Anything heavy has turned into a major problem, because the shipping rates are too high and we are charged 13% commission on shipping. The shipping calculator either comes up short and the seller loses money, or the price is too high and the item will not sell. I recently received a letter from a buyer asking to lower the price and lower the shipping and to double-box the item. The larger box size increases the price still further.

Message 15 of 34
latest reply