cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another "fake tracking" scam - this time with the package in hand.

On January 17th I found a "too good to be true" deal on an acoustic electric guitar. The seller was new with 0 feedback and a weird-looking username. I figured no biggie if it's a scam, eBay will always have my back, so I went ahead and purchased for ~$700 and crossed my fingers. I now see that I was a bit cocky in that assumption, but I digress.

Yesterday the package was delivered and signed for by someone whose name I didn't recognize. My wife checked our porch and didn't find anything, so I immediately requested a callback from eBay to speak to someone directly. The agent was very helpful - I told him why I thought the seller was scamming me, and he went ahead and set up an INR case on my behalf. Afterward I called my local post office and was able to speak to the postmaster directly. She told me that the package got sent on a different route than it should have been according to the tracking number, and was able to contact the driver. Fortunately the driver remembered the package and was able to go back for it. It had been delivered to a local bank (the same bank that I use, coincidentally) with both the bank's name and address on the label, despite the tracking number giving my actual home address when pulled up. So the postmaster and myself both concluded that someone had altered the label before it was stuck to the package. The postmaster told me that the label purchased was for a legal size flat rate envelope with a weight of 12 pounds, and indeed it was a small bubble mailer with a printed label stuck directly to it with nothing inside. A bank employee had opened it and was confused to find that it was empty.

Last night I went to the post office and picked up the fraudulent package directly from the postmaster. She said she would be happy to write a letter on my behalf if her testimony is required, and she also has a black and white scan of the envelope when it came through the post office.

In addition to the INR case on eBay, I've opened a case with my credit card company and messaged the eBay For Business profile on Facebook. The representative there told me that they have referred the seller to their risk team and provided the order details, and that I would have to wait the full 3 business days before they can do anything else. I also sent them photos of the bubble mailer I received.

Because I do now have the "package" in hand, I'm considered closing the INR and opening a new INAD claim. What do you think, should I wait until Friday and potentially let the seller drag this out as long as possible or try to initiate a return?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I've opened a case with my credit card company 

@ilovecumminsturbodiesel 

Since you opened a case with your card company, eBay will no longer help you.   Hopefully, your card company will so long as you made it clear that this was NOT an item not received issue, but rather a fake tracking scam problem. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

So far it doesn't appear as though my credit card company has processed the request yet. I can always cancel and re-open a request with them later if I must.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@ilovecumminsturbodiesel,

Because you filed a claim with your card provider you lost your ebay Money back Guarantee (MBG) protections. That should always be the last option you consider.  However, you should get the note from your post master in writing on USPS stationary in case the scammer decides to fight the claim.

Had you filed an INR dispute it would have been turned down at first, but you could have appealed with the photo and a note from the P.M. and most likely won. However, if you lost the appeal you still would have had the social media option left.

In the Future I think you need to read the terms and time frames of the Money Back Guarantee policy before making risky purchases, and even then you should follow what your gut tells you. Scammers aren't dumb after all, and they know what to do to get around the first layer of  buyer protection policies on all of the 3rd party listing sites. They count on most people not knowing what to do if they lose the first round.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

If you've now received your item, albeit with a lot of trouble on your part, what kind of case are you opening with your credit card company? 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

He didn’t receive the item. He received an empty package.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Doing a dispute with your credit card company. Just have to wait 2 weeks and should get the refund.

I really don't think you have to do anything else. The bank is the one doing the process now and eBay is usually out of the picture.

I am surprised eBay called you.

I am surprised "was able to speak to the postmaster".

I am surprised the bank returned it to you.

I wish I had that kind of luck.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Now that I've been informed that you had a "fraudulent package", an INR case won't be successful either if there is tracking showing it was received.  

If you have not opened any kind of case yet, and you now have the empty package, why not open an NAD case?  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thanks to everyone for their helpful tips - I was definitely not aware of the Credit Card dispute rules regarding MBG protection and will keep that in mind for the future.

First thing I did was cancel the dispute with my credit card company because they had not processed it yet. I then chatted with an eBay CSA online and explained the full updated story to him. He actually assured me that I get my money back - no questions asked - which I didn't expect to hear from anyone. Because I had the package in my possession he recommended I go ahead and cancel the INR and simply start a INAD return, which I did. I now have a return shipping label and will gladly send back the same amount of air that was sent to my originally. 🙂

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Getting a callback from eBay was surprisingly easy. I just went through the help options, clicked a few times, scrolled to the bottom and requested a callback. The rest was definitely perks of living in a small town, although the bank handed the package back to the mail carrier - not to me. The postmaster was very kind and helpful, and even answered the buzzer after normal business hours to hand me the envelope.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply