cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question and comment.

Question: I'm wondering why a lot of my past purchases have disappeared especially those from China. I used to buy MANY mini handcuff keychains  from them to put in thank you cards for Police officers, Deputies, etc. Now the ones I bought from are gone and the prices are so high now that I can't afford them anymore.

Comment: It bugs me when I'm looking for, say, a white pair of pants and they are shown against a white background to where you can barely make out the pants. Grrrrr.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: A question and comment.

Ebay has been actively advocating that sellers use white backgrounds for their photos. I don't know if they mention what to do when you have a white item.

How long ago did you purchase these cuffs? If the seller ended the listing because they sold off their stock, the data is removed from ebay after 90 days. Also it's possible that sellers just end the listing and relist it later on under a different listing ID and page. Did you add these listings into your watch list?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

it's important to do your research when buying products online and to read reviews from other customers before making a purchase. Additionally, if you're having trouble finding a specific item or seller, it may be helpful to reach out to customer support for assistance.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@luckykey3,

Not knowing what your search title is or what category yo choose when searching for the key chains are, it's hard to say why they are harder to find and more expensive.   Instead of searching for keychains, you might want to try key rings in clothing shoes and accessories.

I found a fair number of those items listed using a couple of different searches, and yes some are high priced.  The reasons for that could be,  the suppliers aren't making as many anymore. The sellers have no stock but instead of ending the listings they raise the price (typical chinese seller trick)  Shipping costs have risen....

As for your comment: 

Most individual ebay sellers have no photographic training, so they do not think of the consequences when photographing white items on white backgrounds. They will also use their flash when photographing shiny items, or when they are too close to the item, and other mistakes.

Product photography takes time to learn, and most don't take the time to try to figure out how to take the photos correctly. A lot of them use their phones for taking the photos as well. Phone cameras do not offer enough features to do product photography correctly, they are designed for general photography, like scenes or selfies...

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

When I go to my Purchase History, I can see my purchases back to 2021.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I'm talking about items I've bought only back to what eBay shows ... 2021.  And I've noticed that when I go back to an item I bought sometimes that item is no longer on there, but instead there is another item so obviously the sold out and just put on another item.  I guess that when the cuffs sold out and they didn't have anything else to sell that their whole thing disappears ... which has been MANY.  As for the white on white issue ... I'd think the seller would be smart enough to photograph an item to where it could be SEEN. Obviously not so. Lol.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I've been doing eBay since 2000. I know all of that. But thanks for taking the time to share that advice just in case I wasn't aware.  I was just curious why so many China sellers have disappeared.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@luckykey3 

Most likely because those sellers were selling items that violated Ebay policy.  Not uncommon.  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I've searched for the item in many different ways. The thing is the sellers ... always from china ... that used to sell them for like a tad over a dollar are no longer on here. I used to buy up to 40 at a time depending on how many they had for sale, so I could put them in the thank you cards.  I guess I bought them all ... lol ... but not funny because I want more and can't afford the higher prices. 

I agree with you that a lot of sellers don't know how to take photographs.  What amazes me is that some sellers will use other sellers photos. Can't they see that white on white isn't a good choice.  Pitiful.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Same here. I'm not trying to go back any further than what eBay allows ... 2021 for now.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The mini handcuff key chains have been and still are being sold by many.  They do not violate eBay's policy.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply