cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

363% sales tax!!!!

Hello fellow ebay seller. 
Tonight I was shopping for some watch batteries and I noticed that most battery listings are suddenly showing an insane amount of taxes being charged. For example I have included a screenshot of some batteries with shipping that cost $1.95 + $1.00 shipping adding $10.71 in taxes (363%) I am in Wisconsin and the tax should be 5%
It took a lot of clicking around until I found any sellers with listings that had the correct 5% sales tax. Looking at other items in their stores and adding to my cart showed correct sales tax. Only watch batteries are suddenly showing a crazy tax. 

Anyone know what is happening?

363%  Sales Tax!363% Sales Tax!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: 363% sales tax!!!!

Just checked here and it looks like the correct 5% is being applied. 

Seems the problem has been solved!  At least for me. 

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

I was just helping a seller on social media who experienced this in NY as well.  His numbers worked out to an extra $5 on a battery, which fits in line with NY's lead acid car battery "return incentive payment". 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/86024.html#:~:text=When%20Purchasing%20a%20New%20Lead%2Dacid%20Batte....

My guess is someone at eBay goofed up an update to account for various state's regulations/fees regarding the sale/recycling of lead acid car batteries and just applied them to all batteries. 🙄

Good to hear it sounds like maybe they have fixed it, but my question is will they do the right thing and automatically refund any fees that were charged in error? 🤔

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

It's been fixed for me as well.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

tyler@ebay  brian@ebay  brittanie@ebay 

Please get this to the appropriate teams to make sure that not only is the calculation issue corrected, but any buyers who were charged excess fees are refunded as well.  Thanks!

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  brian@ebay  brittanie@ebay 

Please get this to the appropriate teams to make sure that not only is the calculation issue corrected, but any buyers who were charged excess fees are refunded as well.  Thanks!

Of course eBay has an ethical obligation to the sellers as well since they would have been charged Managed Payments or PayPal fees on the tax amounts.

eBay needs to get out in front of this, take immediate public responsibility & do the right thing for buyers to head off negative feedback and chargebacks, then clean up the rest of the mess by refunding sellers any excess fees as well.

tyler@ebay brian@ebay brittanie@ebay 

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Hi @valueaddedresource - I've sent this on for more clarity and will update as I hear back. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Im being charged a fee on all batterys also its 2.5.22 im in Washington state.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

December 2020 thread, can you please lock

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply