cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

363% sales tax!!!!

Hello fellow ebay seller. 
Tonight I was shopping for some watch batteries and I noticed that most battery listings are suddenly showing an insane amount of taxes being charged. For example I have included a screenshot of some batteries with shipping that cost $1.95 + $1.00 shipping adding $10.71 in taxes (363%) I am in Wisconsin and the tax should be 5%
It took a lot of clicking around until I found any sellers with listings that had the correct 5% sales tax. Looking at other items in their stores and adding to my cart showed correct sales tax. Only watch batteries are suddenly showing a crazy tax. 

Anyone know what is happening?

363%  Sales Tax!363% Sales Tax!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

363% sales tax!!!!

From this page, I found the following:

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 5.32.32 PM.png

Is the seller located in Texas? Are the batteries lead acid?

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

No these are not lead acid batteries.. These are small lithium or silver oxide button cell watch batteries. And its not just one seller... I checked at least a dozen sellers from all around the country. 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

Check the category the item was listed under.  That is what eBay relies on to classify it for applying sales tax categories for the taxing state.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

The category is single use batteries and seems to be affecting most batteries in that category.

Watch batteries. AA batteries, etc...

I've done some more experimenting and I think I have figured it out. 

If I buy a $1 battery. The tax is 5% +$10

If I buy a lot of 10 $ batteries, the tax is 5% +$10

If I add 20 single batteries to my cart (not as a lot) then the tax is 5% + $200

The best I can figure out is that in Wisconsin there is a $10 lead acid deposit required at purchase (like a car battery) But not for regular household batteries!

Clearly there is a mistake. Any ideas on how I would bring this to Ebays attention?

The weird thing is though is it is not applying to every single seller. Just most of them.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

Chiming in  to report the exact same issue. Went to order a pack of button cell lithium batteries and I'm being charged 33% in sales tax. Same issue with most battery sellers. I found one seller selling the same battery in bulk for $30 and on that listing the sales tax was the appropriate 8% here in California.

So what's going on, ebay?

battery tax.JPG

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

Clearly there is a mistake. Any ideas on how I would bring this to Ebays attention?

Is there a TELL US WHAT YOU THINK option on these listings?

You might also want to post this information on this board:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/bd-p/technicalissues-db

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

I'm on it.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

SOOOO glad I'm not the only one with this issue!  What the heck is going on?Notice the tax???  HUH???Notice the tax??? HUH???

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

It gets really crazy when you add multiple batteries to your cart. 

crazyebaytax.jpg

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

@darren_happyhappyjoyjoy  You should add yourself to @megaman 's thread here https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Multiple-reports-of-people-being-charged-overcharged-...

Since apparently ebay monitors that board I think it will be useful to have everyone experiencing this to post over there. 

I've also messaged a couple of battery sellers to alert them. Since this will hurt their sales (and possibly feedback if people feel they are getting ripped off) Then they might help try to get ebay to notice the issue. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

We are experiencing the same issue:

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 12.31.55 PM.png

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

08:08:15 UTC lions7751
I fully understand and appreciate the eBay collects sales tax and that the system generates it, but there is a glitch.
08:08:30 UTC lions7751
There is a glitch in your system. See the links to the forum threads that I have sent.
08:09:02 UTC lions7751
People are being charged $1 tax for a $3 purchase.
08:11:13 UTC John Angelo
Yes I did see that. If ever there will be a glitch on system, please sumbit the details here. https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/mudcwf?deptName=IST I do apologize for the inconvenience as I dont want this for you to experience. We will try to investigate and see what we can provide to you, for now I suggest to contact your Tax Advisory and also wait for the response within 24-48hours. After you sumbit the details on the link.
08:12:52 UTC lions7751
I am not a tax-exempt buyer. Many of the items that I buy are tax-exempt.
08:14:19 UTC John Angelo
Yes, I can see that here. I know that there is a confusion specially for the item that you are concern today. We will investigate and forward this to our gift card team. As of now I am sending it to our gift card team.
08:14:40 UTC John Angelo
Im sorry Sales Tax Team I mean.
08:16:45 UTC John Angelo
Hello , just checking you're with me?
08:17:58 UTC lions7751
Yes. When do you expect that I will be refunded the sales tax? Also, the last item I bought was just a trial to see if tax would be collected from a state I purchased before. Can this sale be voided?
08:19:12 UTC John Angelo
You can try to cancel the order first ask the seller to cancel it. Or wait for the response of our Sales Tax team.
08:19:42 UTC lions7751
Will the Sales Tax team contact me directly?
08:20:06 UTC John Angelo
THey will update you through your email that associated on your account.
08:20:17 UTC lions7751
ok thanks
08:21:23 UTC John Angelo
Thank you very much for contacting eBay, don't hesitate to contact us back if you still need our assistant, I am hoping your experience today matched your expectations, again my name is John and Stay safe and Happy Holidays
08:21:42 UTC
Chat ended by John Angelo

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

Another update.. It seems that listings I was able to find and purchase from that did not have the incorrect tax now all have the tax added. 

It now appears that as far as I can tell everything in the single use battery category is overcharging taxes. 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

363% sales tax!!!!

@rarehorology wrote:

@darren_happyhappyjoyjoy  You should add yourself to @megaman 's thread here https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Multiple-reports-of-people-being-charged-overcharged-...

Since apparently ebay monitors that board I think it will be useful to have everyone experiencing this to post over there. 

I've also messaged a couple of battery sellers to alert them. Since this will hurt their sales (and possibly feedback if people feel they are getting ripped off) Then they might help try to get ebay to notice the issue. 

That board is as dead as a stump.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply