cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 year Norton subscription was only a 90 day trial

I purchased a Norton Internet Security 1 year key from a seller in November. Now 3 months later, I am getting a message that "the key you entered is registered to a different account, and has no licenses available." The seller has deativated the key they sold me, or it was really only a 90 day trial they sold me fraudulently and ebay.com is telling me I cannot contact the seller or take action because it is over 30 days ago, but the key was supposed to last 1 year. What can be done? This seller needs to refund me or reactivate the key. I read their feedback and many people are having the same problem with this seller in the last 6 months. And the key was sent via email, not mail, so it's not a package I can return for the paypal refund.  This seller needs to be stopped. Any advise? Thanks.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: 1 year Norton subscription was only a 90 day trial

@pjgirl1974,

The seller is now Nolonger A Registered User (NARU)  Thier account looks like it was a hi-jacked account. No selling activity and very few purchases before this year. Suddenly they are selling 1 year Norton Security Keys which normally sell for about $50 for $10? all in the last 6 months.   I'm sorry you got taken but the price alone should have been a warning.  Yes there are others selling the keys for about the price you paid, but chances are they are scams as well.  The real keys cost much more.

There is no way to get a refund because this was a digitally delivered item.  In the future do not buy digitally delivered items on eBay there is no protection when you buy them, and if a price is too good to be true, stay away it is likely a scam.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@pjgirl1974wrote:

What can be done?

Any advise?

Buy from authorized sources ONLY.  Chances are NO seller here is authorized to sell such items of any kind.

You could TRY a claim with PP, but I don't know if they covered vaporware claims (digital keys).

One last thing ...  friends don't let friends uae Norton.  Among other issues, it tends to bury itself so deep in machines that it cannot be removed without complex steps.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@pjgirl1974,

chrysylys, is right  Friends don't let friends use Norton.  There are better security systems that are not as intrusive for personal PCs, that cost less.  Start going through your Programs list in your Control Pannel and deleting all of the Norton Programs. Restart your computer after each one. Then check tomorrow, a week from today, a month from now... and you'll find more to delete.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Norton is the worst. It takes over your computer. I would never use them. There’s a free program that’s much better.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@mg152wrote:
Norton is the worst. It takes over your computer. I would never use them. There’s a free program that’s much better.

Norton is awful.

I've used a free programme for several years and I haven't had any problems so far..

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@pjgirl1974wrote:

I purchased a Norton Internet Security 1 year key from a seller in November. Now 3 months later, I am getting a message that "the key you entered is registered to a different account, and has no licenses available." The seller has deativated the key they sold me, or it was really only a 90 day trial they sold me fraudulently and  is telling me I cannot contact the seller or take action because it is over 30 days ago, but the key was supposed to last 1 year. What can be done? This seller needs to refund me or reactivate the key. I read their feedback (ebay user name: safespace-0)  and many people are having the same problem with this seller in the last 6 months. And the key was sent via email, not mail, so it's not a package I can return for the paypal refund.  This seller needs to be stopped. Any advise? Thanks.

This advice won't help you now, but will help you in the future.

With all due respect, the time to have read the feedback comments, which document problems going back six months, was before you bought, not after.  Had you read those comments then, you could have made an informed buying decision to hit the back button and NOT buy.  And too good to be true is generally just that.

Hoping that this helps in the future.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

"friends don't let friends use Norton" - laughing

Learned that lesson about 16 years ago.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@inverted_flat_spinwrote:

"friends don't let friends use Norton" - laughing

Learned that lesson about 16 years ago.

me too, it was easier to just replace the computor!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

It became obvious the "run away as fast as you can" was the best course of action almost 25-30 years ago when Symantec took over.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@*madison

@inverted_flat_spin

@jrinam

@chrysylys

@mudshark61369

For those IT amateurs complaining that Norton is too "intrusive," take it from an IT professional---a proper antivirus program is BY DEFINITION intrusive,  It HAS TO BE, because it's job is to monitor every process happening within the operating system, looking for malicious code that wants nothing more that the operating system to run it so it can do its dirty deeds.

I did notice that most of those complaining about Norton chose a free alternative.  A telling indicator that they are not objecting to Norton per se, rather they are objecting to having to pay for something that they could otherwise get for free.  I like free as much as the next guy, but then again, the old saying "You get what you paid for" is still valid, there are some things in life that you may not want for free.  Antivirus programs, condoms, and government cheese, for example. 🙂

Go to any public help site and ask "What's the best antivirus program?" and then duck, because you'll start a food fight like you have never seen before.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@flyerfandan999 wrote:

I did notice that most of those complaining about Norton chose a free alternative.  A telling indicator that they are not objecting to Norton per se, rather they are objecting to having to pay for something that they could otherwise get for free.

Then you haven't been reading.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I did notice that most of those complaining about Norton chose a free alternative.  A telling indicator that they are not objecting to Norton per se, rather they are objecting to having to pay for something that they could otherwise get for free.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm objecting to Norton because it's rubbish, and not because I paid for it.

The free one I use gives me no problems, Norton gave me plenty of problems.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Has anyone mentioned Norton isn't that great. I wouldn't know. In the overall scheme of things, this there may a silver lining.

Aside from getting the "Jack" (ACDC song) from the seller, you now have the opportunity to research a better software package and we know you won't be getting it from some door-knob on eBay.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

To get this back on point:

After having seen posts by sellers who sell software keys, I would never buy from any of them. Sellers who sell keys on eBay seem like a dodgy lot. First of all, they always list them against eBay rules. They're supposed to list them in Classifieds because they're downloadable objects, but they always seem to list them as if they're disc-based software packages. So right away, this tells you that they don't exactly care about doing things by the book and being honest.

Secondly, most of the publishers in question insist on selling their software through authorized dealers only. The sellers I've seen offering software keys are highly unlikely to be authorized resellers. There's this one guy in Vietnam who posted a while ago, who was clearly listing bootleg copies of various software packages. So there, too, they're showing obvious disregard for eBay rules, and even laws regarding intellectual property. Do you really want to do business with people like that?

Message 15 of 16
latest reply