cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

So the book has to be written by a hippie not one about them or one that was read widely by hippies?
Message 991 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

To match the previous question, I would say so. A hard call. I do not know that any bibliographical work has been done that would give a positive identity on what book would have been the first. There are quite a few from the underground culture. Are we talking city scape political titles or country rural edenists? Religious ecstatical WOW books or mundane how one may survive on no money a day books or books devoted to various aspects of illegal smiles?

I used to have a sizable collection of beat literature in firsts, which then spilled over into a large collection of "hippie" literature. There are a lot of basement, hand-cranked publications in the latter. It was a large, untidy, sloppy even, amassment. While a good many hippies idolized people like Kerouac , there is a point at whic one says beat not hippie, or hippie not beat. And then , of course, as the underground became more radically political , one added "yippie" ... and there were always those who preferred the word "freak" over "hippie".

Those, like Camille Paglia, who ignorantly maintain the hippies did not read, or appreciate literature, were living on another planet. The planet Blinkerblind, I suppose. By the way, if one has not read Camille Paglia , one has missed out on some excellent and sharply witty and insigtful literary criticism.
Message 992 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Pagglia? Don't have her in front of me ...
Message 993 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

satnrose
Guide
Kerouac was no hippie.
Message 994 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Who said he was?
Message 995 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

satnrose
Guide
If you can remember, you weren't there.
Message 996 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Another myth.
Message 997 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

A hit is as good as a myth here.
Message 998 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

jimkalino
Enthusiast
This is a guess on the first hippie book...Steal This Book by Abbie Hoffman
Message 999 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Steal This Book was issued in 1971 ... It certainly qualifies for one of the most notorious books from the underground culture, but not the first hippie book. Hoffman was a yippie, not a hippie. His own coinage, I think.
Message 1000 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2*many*cars
Enthusiast
1 and 1000
Message 1001 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

1 and 1000? ... People sure do like to make cryptic remarks. Most people do not have the ability to peer into your mind to follow the route which leads to your post.
Message 1002 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2*many*cars
Enthusiast
Reply #1
Reply #1000
Message 1003 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2*many*cars
Enthusiast
Guilty, your honor, on the cryptic - I'll work on it.B-)
Message 1004 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

That's what all those damsels in old vampire movies say.
Message 1005 of 7,715
latest reply