cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Argon38 - One was Dune, but I don't know if it is "notoriously susceptible to oxidation."  Another was While England Slept but didn't look closely at why that came up in my search after I saw The Man with the Golden Gun

This book question will be an easy one for those who have been reading articles posted on the BSB.

845. A first edition of what highly collectible book has the issue point of “sick in tired,”?

Message 7711 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I remember when this thread was pinned.

Message 7712 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Finebooks:  nice to see your post here.  I learned a lot from your posts.

Message 7713 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

@fine.books wrote:

I remember when this thread was pinned.

Over here they call that 'showing your age'. I don't mind showing my age - but feeling it is not my favorite thing.

I think I joined the board about 4 months after this thread began. Lot of changes since then.

Found anything interesting tucked in ancient bindings recently? I recall you found two pieces of Egyptian papyrus once. Still waiting for my spectacular discovery.

If anyone knows this it is you - what is a good indicator that work done on a book was done by a top-shelf conservator as opposed to someone who is just good at it? And what do you look for (to tell that something happened there) if the work is so good it is difficult to tell anything was required to be done at all? The Schott item in another thread is basically what I'm referring to. I can see where some work has been done as it would have been very difficult, if not impossible, to perfectly reinstate. But there are things that could well be either original paper faults or some craftily-disguised repair.

Have a joyous Noel, a fat and prosperous new year and a fun election - we get ours as a pre-Xmas treat. Do you think our current national leaders would make a good pair of book-ends? We've probably got both of them for another four years or so.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 7714 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Oh what a wonderful surprise! So nice to 'see' you fine.books and others who have been long missing.

sigmapsidelta - Speaking of bookends

Old friends
Old friends
Sat on their park bench like bookends
A newspaper blowin' through the grass
Falls on the round toes
Of the high shoes
Of the old friends

Can you imagine us years from today
Sharing a park bench quietly?
How terribly strange to be seventy

Old friends