cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accidental purchase

I purchased an item accidentally.. it somehow happened when my phone was in my pocket. Its not an item i would ever consider buying so not sure how it was even on my screen. It was for $25 which included $12 shipping.  I messaged seller and they said i can only return and i have to pay shipping plus will only be refunded the cost minus her shipping costs. I cant seem to figure out how to contact ebay for additional support, if there is any, in this case. please advise. thank you! 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: accidental purchase

Only the seller has the power to cancel a transaction, calling eBay will do nothing for you.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@kriskelle 

We have heard about Ebay purchases done while the phone was in a buyer's pocket. Problem with that story is that it is impossible, since a person has to go through several steps in order to purchase an item, not possible if the phone is in the pocket the whole time. Did your pocket PAY for the item, too?.

No need to contact Ebay.

Accept the item. You can file a Return Request when you get it. If your return is approved, you will need to ship it back at your expense

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

First of all it IS possible because it really did happen but thanks for your rude, non-helpful response.   I was searching prices of pyrex pot set to sell and some pyrex baking pan ended up in my cart somehow.  Something I would never order personally.  I was pulling my phone in and out of my pocket a lot that day because I was taking tons of pictures and moving around a lot and my ebay app was open. If my screen doesn't go completely dark like it should,  I have had photos and videos randomly send to people on my messenger.  Second,  there was no time to cancel the order because I did not even know it was ordered until I got an email saying it shipped.  Per my original post, I already contacted the seller.  I have never come across this either as a buyer or a seller on ebay so I was not sure if there was anything that could be done - besides sending it back and losing money on shipping costs.  I am not in the habit of stealing from sellers on ebay considering I am one as well.   

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I did not even realize the item was ordered until I received an email that it was  shipped and I messaged the seller and it was already too late by that point to cancel.  I have never come across this issue as a buyer or a seller on ebay so i was not sure if I had any other option besides shipping back and paying for shipping.  I suppose I could just resell it on eBay or elsewhere to recoup any money lost. thanks! 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

OK, maybe the purchase was made while you were pulling your phone in & out of your pocket.

I am very curious of how you managed to pay for the item?

When I pay for an item I have to go through the Ebay checkout page, then click on how I want to pay (credit card/Paypal/Paypal credit/debit card) then I have to log into my Paypal account, select how I want to fund my payment (bank acct. or 1 of 2 credit cards), then submit. That would be extemely difficult to go through ALL those steps with your phone in your pocket.

When you receive your purchase, you can resell it or give it away.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 6 of 6
latest reply