cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceptional (left & right) Pair of original Bose 501 Speakers 70's RESTORED.

Original price to buy now was $399.00. I bought on Monday Apr.15th at 11:01 pm for $300.00 plus shipping Came to 461.49. On Apr.24th at about 11:00 Am i received the speakers, found the boxes undamaged , I had them hooked  up to my Sansui amp and Kenwood turntable in less than two hours. The tweeters worked on both, but the woofers didn't on either. So i texted the seller immediately, and told them the woofers didn't work, but i was an certified electronic tech. and could check out the problem ( already knowing probably what the problem was, having rebuilt 2 sets of Bose 501s before). The seller told me to check it out, and document what i found and report to them. When  I told the seller it could be difficult to remove the grill because the rebuilder had not only not replaced the staples with Velcro (standard technic when removing stapled grills) , but he added many brad type nails, some too long. The seller replied it was easy and that this type of speaker only had a few parts that could go bad. Now( I'm thinking  why didn't the seller do all of this before they sold the speakers as being fully restored) . They are in good condition for their age so I decided to not worry and try to repair the speakers and document what I found. As i suspected the rebuilder turned the woofer too many times before installing the rebuilt woofer back into the case, causing the old wiring to break. Feeling good about, and after I tested the speakers, I decided to take another hour to repair and Velcro the grills. I then sent my exact documentation of close up pictures of the failures to the seller, and stated that I would be happy with a $50.00 refund, but if no refund I would give feedback that the seller misrepresented their product. the seller told me not to threaten them. I responded that I really didn't care what she did, I fixed my speakers and They could give me the refund or get a bad review. I still haven't given my review, and the seller is not giving me a refund. WHAT SHOULD I DO? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Exceptional (left & right) Pair of original Bose 501 Speakers 70's RESTORED.

>> stated that I would be happy with a $50.00 refund, but if no refund I would give feedback that the seller misrepresented their product. <<

@77yo-75 

The seller could report you to Ebay for feedback extortion.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Re: Exceptional (left & right) Pair of original Bose 501 Speakers 70's RESTORED.

Thank you for taking the time to read my explanations. 🤔

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@77yo-75 

< WHAT SHOULD I DO? >     

The first thing to do is an attitude adjustment.  You do not negotiate with the threat of negative feedback.  That is a policy violation and eBay will remove it if reported.  You could have left a negative feedback for misrepresentation if you'd not threatened with it, but not now.  The seller knows that the threat can be reported.   

If the seller refurbished the speakers, doesn't that include a trial run afterwards?  Do you think it's likely that the seller deliberately sold the speakers, knowing that the woofers were inoperable?  That's a sure recipe for a NAD, which means paying for the return shipping ... that's big bucks for two speaker cabinets.  Where was the signal wire broken?  At the solder?  If the solder job was no good, the jostling of delivery might have broken the wire loose.  As an electrical tech, of course you knew this already. 

By the way, my system has a Sansui amp, too.  

Message 4 of 4
latest reply