cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Pay For An Auction - Not Something I Want

I was surprised today when I made an offer for an item to an eBay seller, and while waiting for a response, found that the item had been paid for by charging my PayPal account.

I had NO idea eBay was doing this now, and I find it invasive and downright creepy.

I pay my obligations immediately. Always. No exceptions.

Surely eBay can give the opportunity for a buyer to pay for purchases - Even if only one hour - Before they cram their hands into a buyers pocket and snatch out the funds owed.

I feel certain certain I am not the only eBay user that feels this way. Why was I not asked or at least told this would be happening?

If there is an option for this - I need to know now to turn it off. I prefer to pay my own obligations!!

Thank you for the opportunity to voice opposition to what I feel is, again, a CREEPY practice for eBay to be doing.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Automatic Pay For An Auction - Not Something I Want

@tennistom 

For quite a while now, Ebay has used the Automatic Payment function when buyers make an offer/bid.

You cannot turn it off.

Ebay is not  "cramming their hands into a buyers pocket and snatch out the funds owed." They are just avoiding buyers not paying for the item when the seller accepts the buyer's offer.

Personally, I find it very convenient. I make an offer, and if the seller accepts my offer, the item is automatically paid for from the payment source I chose and will be shipped without me having to do anything. Easy peasy.

EDITED TO ADD: You would have seen the automatic payment message when you made the offer:

Make offer (2).png

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 2 of 2
latest reply