cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Paint, or not to paint...? Opinions on painting antiques

My husband bought this chair for a few dollars from a friend at work. Obviously it is very old! I'm no antique furniture expert by any means. I know everyone is painting/chalk painting furniture (including antiques) these days. This chair is in rough shape and needs some help but I cringe every time I think about painting an antique. I've spent hours stripping paint off family pieces that my mom painted back in the 70's. What would you knowledgeable antiquers do with this piece? As you can see there is some damage to the back, and I'm not sure it has much value anyway considering its current state....?IMG_6778.JPGIMG_6780.JPGIMG_6781.JPGIMG_6782.JPGIMG_6783.JPGIMG_6785.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

In general, it's best not to paint antiques you're going to try to sell but, instead, leave that up to the buyer.

In particular, I see no reason to paint this piece.  Unless you are planning to repair and restore it, it will be sold to someone as a "project" and whoever buys it to do all the rest of the work will want to decide on its finish, as well.  

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

If your selling it,  don't paint it.  Original as much as possible is always best.  New seat cushion yes because of functionality.  People are so into old distressed things and if they are buying it it's because of its old craftsmanship.  Only fix what's necessary,  it would be worth more w a mint condition original seat,  right? But since it's not possible fix it's function and enjoy what's left. If you would have to replace some of the wood then I would say paint but if not leave everything u can.  People want and pay top dollar for items that they can get as close to the original piece.  If it's a keeper for. You,  then have fun and do whatever makes it interesting for you.  . Google when and when not to paint or refurbish antiques

Jennifer Walter
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If anything Color match that back corner,  leave the small edge that's chipped for character and   clear coat to protect what's left in an identical finish. The clear coat will help blend ur color match.  Sometimes it's hard W chips wo filling them in so I'd leave it original and a little imperfect. 

Jennifer Walter
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If anything Color match that back corner,  leave the small edge that's chipped for character and   clear coat to protect what's left in an identical finish. The clear coat will help blend ur color match.  Sometimes it's hard W chips wo filling them in so I'd leave it original and a little imperfect. 

Jennifer Walter
Message 5 of 5
latest reply