cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Pendant/charm ???? please HELP

Hi everyone, 

Can someone please help me identify this pendant I have?  I bought it at an online auction.  What I know about it is, the main stone is Aventurine or Serpentine (not sure) it has a small Ruby at the top front and two cabochons on each side which are unknown but could be red spinel? I have tested the raised wire and it tests to 10K - 14Kt. It has no markings, and the base is quite tarnished but has a gold lustre to it or could have been gilt? But the wire is definitely gold. There is a round dome on the bottom of the pendant, and it is very gold. I have searched the internet to find out where it may have come from or if it is a pendant, a charm, or a Talisman?? To know avail. When I bought it I thought it was flat, however, now it has arrived it is a cubic shape.  It weighs 16.4 grams and is 40 mm from to bottom and just under 20 mm wide and thick. I first thought it might be Etruscan Revival, but it is not a bright gold.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks and kind regards Wendy

Pendant 2.jpgPendant 4.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Antique Pendant/charm ???? please HELP

Hard to tell what the central stone is from the picture but it does look like it could be aventurine. The aventurine/ruby combination and gold work makes me think it resembles Mughal/India-style jewelry. Couldn't say if its antique or a reproduction.

What does anyone else think?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hi Bijom, thank you so much, my husband said it looked Indian, but I  pooh-pooh'd him!

I will start and have a look at Mughal style.  When I look at it closely it looks old, (but maybe made to look old).

Anyway, you thoughts are so helpful, thanks for taking the time.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

agree. as Mughal has a Persian element, I'd also check Isfahan and other major Iranian cities.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks fidbald, I have been searching since I received Bijom's post, and have found Mugual has many similar items, wedding Thali's and Amulets, however I have not found anything the shape of the one I have.  I will now look at Persia and Iran.  Thank you again I think I would have given up by now on my own.  I am determined to find something.  Kind regards and thanks again. Wendy

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If the green stone is opaque it's probably chalcedony. An old piece would be a higher gold value, the red stones look like ruby cabochons. Never seen a similar piece in India, I am guessing  Middle East,  maybe Iran. The filigree looks like Turkey.

Will look some more. I actually have PAPER BOOKS with jewelry from all over.😊

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

IMG_1998.jpgIMG_1999.jpgIMG_2001.jpg

Hi Sathya, Oh I would SO appreciate any help you can give!  I have been searching 24/7 and although I have found lots of similar flat objects I have not seen anything that is four sided?? I have added some more photos below as I gave the pendant a bit of a clean and I think the base might be silver.  The raised filagree work is definitely gold, although these images don't show it.  The first ones are better. I put the piece near the window to take these shots.  The little half circle on the bottom is definitely gold, but could be gilt?  It is an unusual shape and the more I look I wonder if this is maybe the bottom drop of a bigger piece or maybe I am on the wrong track with it being a pendant? I am so totally confused but at the same time in wonder of what it is? If you have time to look at your paper books, I would appreciate it. In the meantime I will keep looking and maybe concentrate more on Turkey or even Ottoman?  thanks again, let me know if you need any more photos.  Wendy

IMG_2002.jpg

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

the form of those red cabochons look a bit like the ones that were used on ladies wrist watches in the art deco period.

https://www.juwelenmarkt.de/U2346H1.htm

the big stone could be polished Serpentinite; the best to work was often from Zöblitz (former GDR). so it could have a connection to the European East or even Russia.

https://www.google.ch/search?q=z%C3%B6blitzer+serpentin+dunkelgr%C3%BCn&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiug7T064...

I wonder if it couldn't be opened ?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi Fidbald,

Thank you so much for your reply, yes I agree the Cabochons do look the same.  And yes, Serpentine is definitely an option as it does look very similar.  I have been researching away, to no avail.  It seems that the  cube or four sided shape is the issue, I can not seem to find anything?? the only thing similar, but not the same is etruscan charms, but this pendant, is so different from any charms I can find.  So frustrating! I will definitely look at European East, as I have looked at Turkey and Persia to no avail.  Thank you again for your help it is much appreciated. Wendy

Message 9 of 9
latest reply