cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free insertion for listing promotion no longer getting them

hi. just need a little help. i am a part time small seller on ebay.  aleast once a month i have gotten a free  promotion to list for free on ebay, this stopped for me in march, i know they are still having them and  are by invite only but i really need these to  survive on ebay. calliung ebay is a waste of time, today i finally got a little info, ebay marketing department has changed the way they send out the free promotions and who they send them too, they now send them to sellers that really need them. does this mean they send them out the high selling ebayers who move items every day and they dont send them out to the small sellers like me, so i need a little help. please respond here if you used to get the free lsiting invites and they have suddenly stopped or if you have any info on them, i plan on gathering info and making one last push with ebay to send out the free listing invites again. this post isnt to offend anyone just trying to find out if more sellers like me have stopped getting the free lsiting invites, thanks so much

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: free insertion for listing promotion no longer getting them

Folks, I sell small dollar items.  Most of the video games I have listed here are priced below $20, most toys under $30.  My pricing model assumes that the item won't sell for a full year.  Granted, as a store subscriber, my insertion fees for toys are 20¢ instead of 30¢ each per month, as I list everything as GTC fixed price.  That's still $2.40 for insertion fees per item, per year.  Video game insertion fees are 60¢ per year, at 5¢ a month.  I don't include the free listings or promos each month into my calculations.  I have to get at least $11.95 per toy and $7.95 per game to break even, including shipping and other selling expenses.

Not every item is best listed on eBay, or even online.  Sometimes the cost of selling, particularly shipping, is just too high to turn a profit on a single item.  For example, I never list any single Atari 2600 game, unless it's Swordquest: Waterworld, Crystal Castle, Mario Bros., or another rare title that will bring at least $7.95.  I sell most 2600 games here in lots to fetch a profitable minimum price.  Same thing with NES, Sega Genesis, Saturn, Turbografix, and most other older game systems.

Let me repeat Atari's old marketing slogan for the Jaguar system, "Do the math!"  Run the numbers and figure out how best to list the items you have in stock for the most exposure and the least amount of money.  The more you list, the more you can sell.  Inventory is no good unless it's listed and can be sold.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Well said and describes my views also. I've got alot of inventory and the .30 per listing just won't work for me, considering how much the other fees are and paying for the free shipping too.
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

RARELY any of their CSR for anything know ANYTHING about eBay. If you're a seller and you need help, you can forget about it. I got an email from eBay that said to give them a call by entering a PIN, etc. It was a legitimate email coming from them. I confirmed what it said and what address it was sent from and asked why I got this email. For 15 minutes, the CSR had no idea what I was telling her and she kept saying they didn't send an email. So how did I get one if they didn't send it? At the end, she changed the subject on her own and talked about my TRS status and entirely ignored why I called to begin with.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

I make money when my listings are active and when I make money, ebay makes money. That's why this new listings policy does not make sense. I know they have been pushing the stores but you have one. You should definately be getting free listings offers! 

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Same thing happened to me.  Have not got a promotion in some time.  At .30 a pop, I loose a lot of profit by putting up extra items.   I will now be forced to just list the free 50 items and do it for 30 days, even though I hate 30 day listings.  I am beginning to lose my interest in ebay because of this

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Found this - Try it?> Promotional offers

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

yeah, it's blank. That's the point. Nice they give it to you though.
Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Agree....other than for listing stuff for a few cents, which I'm sure you referred to this loosely.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply