cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free insertion for listing promotion no longer getting them

hi. just need a little help. i am a part time small seller on ebay.  aleast once a month i have gotten a free  promotion to list for free on ebay, this stopped for me in march, i know they are still having them and  are by invite only but i really need these to  survive on ebay. calliung ebay is a waste of time, today i finally got a little info, ebay marketing department has changed the way they send out the free promotions and who they send them too, they now send them to sellers that really need them. does this mean they send them out the high selling ebayers who move items every day and they dont send them out to the small sellers like me, so i need a little help. please respond here if you used to get the free lsiting invites and they have suddenly stopped or if you have any info on them, i plan on gathering info and making one last push with ebay to send out the free listing invites again. this post isnt to offend anyone just trying to find out if more sellers like me have stopped getting the free lsiting invites, thanks so much

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

i barely get free listing invites anymore, auction style.   Pretty much, I'm on my own.  

I really need them though.   oh, wait....   I guess I don't really need them if ebay knows better than I do about that.   Silly me.   I have thousands of listings sitting in queue for when ebay determines I need them, I guess.

Wonder how ebay knows who really needs them.    Wish there was a sign up.   I would be a happy girl with monthly free listing invites.

I still can make good money without free listings....   But its like the floodgates open for me and the sells come in fast when I get the invites.

hmmm, It actually really bothers me that the all-knowing ebay knows who needs them, and I've not been on their list.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

and you believe their marketing dept? i don't believe anything they say, its just to get you off the phone asap

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

i honestly dont believe their customer service reps know anything and it was probably a way to get me off the phone, i do know from me and some other sellers i talk to that they used to get invites aleast once a month and no longer do, i myself believe they are reducing the free listing promotion on purpose, which is really going to hurt alot of small sellers that neeed them

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

after calling ebay every week for the last 6 weeks and picking up little bits of informations, im taking a guess here whats going on. by reducing the people who receive the free promotions for free insertion listing and changing the format of the 50 free listing to auction style only, they are trying to make sellers do 2 thing, first i think they are pushing sellers to buy stores and second trying to reduce the amount of listing they have on their sites,lets say i put 50 fixed listing on their site every month with the 50 free lisiting and only one sells, the other 49 listing have to sit on ebays site for 30 days, now with the new format, they would sit for only 10 days at the most and ebay has freeed up space for the other 20 days each month and by not offering free promotion for free lsitings  to sellers who hardly sell their items, they have freed up mega space, i think they are giving the free promotion to those sellers who move their items quickly on ebay and cutting out those sellers who sell very  little, which to me is complete b.s. again this is just what i think is going on

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

If you look at the categories that have been marked at the new policy...you will notice one common trend...

"Used items"

My guess....eBay is trying to eliminate the seller who sells USED items...and focus more on their refurbished drop ship China Garbage!

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@mintrobmint wrote:

My guess....eBay is trying to eliminate the seller who sells USED items...and focus more on their refurbished drop ship China Garbage!

Just means fewer reasons to shop here.

Tiny Reminder... eBay started with second-hand items.

Putting a "USED" stamp on the back of a guitar headstock doesn't make it used.

It just means the it is a REJECT.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

First, ignoring the 50 free auctions, eBay only charges 30¢ per listing.  If 30¢ kills your bottom line, then you really need to rethink your selling strategy.

Second, if you subscribe to a basic store, you get 150 free listings in either format, every month.  15.95/100 = 0.1595 or about 16¢ per listing, ignoring the first 50 listings.  Put another way, you save almost 50% on insertion fees over the first 50 items, every month, promos or not.  With a store, those first 50 can still be listed in either format.  And the final value fee is dropped by at least 1%.

eBay runs promos whenever they feel it will benefit them.  Sometimes they run a lot.  Sometimes none at all.  You can't assume that the promotions will continue indefinitely.

So, run the numbers and figure out how best to list the items you have in stock for the most exposure and the least amount of money.  The more you list, the more you can sell.

I never sit on inventory for more than a day or two.  It does me no good to have stuff to sell that my customers can't buy because it's not listed.  That just lost business for no good reason.  I'd rather spend a few cents to list it, make a sale, and turn that money, than sit on stuff waiting for eBay to do something (seasonal items excepted, of course).

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Very well stated.  I pretty much adhere to this system also.  And it works fairly well. 

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Start a 2nd seller account. You can tie it to your same PayPal account, but you need a different email address and you have to use 2 different internet browsers to keep things straight between the accounts.

Good luck - I wouldn't want to depend on ebay for any kind of income!

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

minty, I hadn't caught that - I'll have to go back and read that schwizzle again. I did notice clothing, which I had hoped to finally get around to listing - and I still can, at auction.

Wow, this change is going to hurt a lot of USA sellers. Whatever. There are lots of other sites ramping up and getting better.

I've been on the internet for 20 years, and like life, the only thing constant is change.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Hi, that makes total sense! I have many items, but stuggling with pricing it  to sell, without giving it away. My sells have been in a slump. Now I  am not getting promos, or invites. I think they are pushing stores. I feel it is their loss, I am sitting here with about 500 items not listed. I will not open a store.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

glad you posted, b/c i've had the same problem.  They were coming every 2 or 3 weeks last year, sometimes for fixed price, other times for auctions.  They were coming so often that a lot of times I would end current FP listings and relist on the promo to get a couple of extra weeks.  Other times I'd have to spend time reformating from auction to FP, or vice versa to get the most out of using promos.  I'm also a small seller but amped up inventory to really take advantage.  I got the last promo last month and that's it.  So now my inventory will have to sit until or if there is another promo.

I agree that there was more to it.  I think they gave the promos for the past year so sellers would get used to FP, so they can do what they are doing now and trying to push us into opening a store.   I also agree with the comment, " i think they are giving the free promotion to those sellers who move their items quickly on ebay and cutting out those sellers who sell very  little", adding and/ or to the big sellers.  I always laughed with the promos were for 5k, 20k, 200k listings.  Obviously small sellers are not going to use that many free listings. 

As far as 30cents killing a bottom line, Yes it does for a small seller.  Not all items move fast.  Sometimes my items don't sell for a few months.  30 cents might not seem like much on an individual sale (IF it happens to sell immediately), but it adds up, especially when you may only profit a little bit anyway.  I don't mind only making a $5.00 profit on something I paid 50 cents for, b/c $5.00 here and there adds up too, but if I have to pay 30 cents over and over for several months, that little bit of profit is eaten up.  Right now for example, if I am (lucky enough) to end up with about 50% profit a month, that's a good month - with 10% fv fee, 3% paypal, 20%-30% (free) shipping, + my investment cost (and not factoring in my time).  Now they want another 10% (at least) insertion fees.  For me around $100 a month.  I don't make enough to pay that.  Especially if I have to list an item several times before it sells.   

Another impact - I will no longer be able to do small lots of items.  For example - I recently purchased a large mixed lot of tupperware items (same with clothes, shoes, build a bear, etc).  I usually break them up into smaller lots and list individual small lots (or single items), since buyers are usually looking for a specific item.  I may have 20 individual listings.  A few may get bids and sell right away at auction.  Then I switch to FP because it gives a longer exposure time and eventually the buyer comes along.  I also think buyers like BIN because they get tired of looking through 100s or 1000s of listings and/or waiting for an auction to end.  If it's priced right, they just want to buy it and be done with it.  Now, I will have to rethink even buying these types of items and being able to give buyers a decent price (usually with free shipping).

sorry such a long post.  very frustrated with ebay at the moment. 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Well said - especially about the "bottom line"Smiley Happy

I've had to 2 eBay reps agree that a store would not be to my advantage given my inventory and sales. EBay really needs to offer packages that fit sellers in different ways. Not all of us are WalMart.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@billy_biggle_fan wrote:

First, ignoring the 50 free auctions, eBay only charges 30¢ per listing.  If 30¢ kills your bottom line, then you really need to rethink your selling strategy.

Second, if you subscribe to a basic store, you get 150 free listings in either format, every month.  15.95/100 = 0.1595 or about 16¢ per listing, ignoring the first 50 listings.  Put another way, you save almost 50% on insertion fees over the first 50 items, every month, promos or not.  With a store, those first 50 can still be listed in either format.  And the final value fee is dropped by at least 1%.

eBay runs promos whenever they feel it will benefit them.  Sometimes they run a lot.  Sometimes none at all.  You can't assume that the promotions will continue indefinitely.

So, run the numbers and figure out how best to list the items you have in stock for the most exposure and the least amount of money.  The more you list, the more you can sell.

I never sit on inventory for more than a day or two.  It does me no good to have stuff to sell that my customers can't buy because it's not listed.  That just lost business for no good reason.  I'd rather spend a few cents to list it, make a sale, and turn that money, than sit on stuff waiting for eBay to do something (seasonal items excepted, of course).

Excellent post! This is my thinking and why we opened up a store. I did the math on it and it works out just fine. You need to average 5 listings a day to hit 150 in a month. Usually, we are close to that, if no promotion maybe we relist a few items near the end of the month. I signed up for a year and figure, the worst case scenario is I would be out $180 if I didn't list a single thing.

If we get free listings, it just gives us a chance to relist a lot of things I didn't sell the first time around and helps clear out some inventory.

If you want to make extra money on ebay, listing 5 things a day should not be that difficult. On the flip side, if you don't have the time to do that, $.30 an item (after the initial 50) should only add up to a few dollars extra a month because you would be nowhere near the 150 listings you get with a store.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply