cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

I am confused too. I started selling on eBay a couple months ago. I actually made a little money this past month, then got my invoice and saw eBay took HALF my earnings. I don't understand what all these fees are...??

Message 391 of 438
latest reply

Ebay charges 10% on the total sale, including shipping.
Also, if you had reserves, 1 or 3 day auctions etc.
PayPal charges 2.9%, 3.9% intl.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 392 of 438
latest reply

I totally agree! It's getting ridiculous. Its not fun as it use to be!!!! Seems to be a waste!!!
Message 393 of 438
latest reply

I agree. I just sold my last item on Ebay. I find Craigslist to be much better for the items I SELL

Message 394 of 438
latest reply

If there is anything the community can help you with, we we try.

Message 395 of 438
latest reply

Try again. Oops.

If there's anything you need help with, let us know. CL is okay for somethings, but not everything.

Message 396 of 438
latest reply

I agree, the fees are getting out of controle!

It is going to make it more difficult for average non business ebayer to sell a few items as the costs add up.

I just realized that the items I sold could have been donted for a write off on taxes instead of spending all my time trying to make a buck!

Mabe they should give everyone a break and charge you less for providing free shipping or some other arrangment that would benefit ebay and the sellers!?

Message 397 of 438
latest reply

@kf8250 wrote:

I agree, the fees are getting out of controle!

Basic fees haven't changed in 3 or 4 years.

Message 398 of 438
latest reply

I will NEVER sell on Ebay again.... The fee is just not accepted.
Message 399 of 438
latest reply

@kweines wrote:
I will NEVER sell on Ebay again.... The fee is just not accepted.

The fee that you knew about before you accepted it and listed your item? How is that possible?

Message 400 of 438
latest reply

I don't know what to do. I have small income and divorced. Used to get clothes on ebay. Now I just can't afford. With all those shipping fees. And it's got very expensive. I will need to think what to do. I can't afford it anymore
Message 401 of 438
latest reply

Only 15% really???? Thats like saying "good thing I only have cancer in my colon. I could have it in my lungs and liver!" I am done selling on Ebay! They have priced me out and now with the increase on shipping. I used to be able to sell a guitar with shipping at around $27. I just sold some saddlebags that were less than half the the size and less weight and it cost me twice the amount! I actually paid the buyer to take my saddlebags! Goodbye Ebay!

Message 402 of 438
latest reply

fees are the expense that are the same as paying rent + utilities etc in a brick store....there is always cost to a busines....

what you need to do is learn exactly what your expenses/cost are and price items to make a profit...

shipping is always tricky , so you have to decide a few things there...depending on what you sell ...

and face it...if YOU can find something that works better for you..lower fees and still provides sales...then Busines is Business, you'll go somewhere else... If that happens  a lot...then Ebay will decide if they need to match it...by lower fees or whatever....

I guess I'm just saying that you signed up and the fees were presented...You weren't made by ebay to join and sell...so why do you think it is so unfair.....

and last, remember EBAY is a busines, and they are in it to make money for the shareholders/employees/etc....so gotta pay the price to play using them...

Message 403 of 438
latest reply

@wussysells wrote:

Only 15% really???? Thats like saying "good thing I only have cancer in my colon. I could have it in my lungs and liver!" I am done selling on Ebay! They have priced me out and now with the increase on shipping. I used to be able to sell a guitar with shipping at around $27. I just sold some saddlebags that were less than half the the size and less weight and it cost me twice the amount! I actually paid the buyer to take my saddlebags! Goodbye Ebay!

I'm not seeing how shipping costs are eBay's fault. But good luck wherever you land.

Message 404 of 438
latest reply

Yes, I am revisiting my listings and slimming down. I have found other sites to be more reasonable and at least one with better exposure. eBay presents itself as taking less than 10% but ultimately taking 20% and really much more with all of their monthly fees. That's too much in my opinion. There are items I will no longer sell on eBay due to their fees.

Message 405 of 438
latest reply