cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do sellers go to complain against buyers?

Do sellers have recourse against buyers? Can I file a report with ebay?  This is what happened, you tell me:  I sold 2 new eReaders to buyer in Canada.  Buyers claims they dont work. I sold over 25 of these and hadn't a complaint til now.  I offer refund if buyer mails them back to me. Buyer refuses cuz shipping them back would cost too much.  And to add insult to injury, buyer wants to report me for selling for fradulent items/maybe leave neg. FB.  Makes me wonder if buyer is trying scam me. For one, why would you keep something that doesn't work?  Two, I didn't know they didn't work, buyer coulda got a bad batch. I have 100% feedback, so I am a good seller. And Buyer wants to report me.  What can I do? What is my recourse? Where are sellers protection against these buyers?

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

@jtropics11 wrote:

Will not be Ebay, I have been complaining about sellers that sell Solar lights for 3 years...the batteries are permanantley glued into the lights....you set the solars up in your garden, they work so you leave a good feedback,  the lights stops working, you try to change the batteries, you cannot the are either glued or soldered into the units....Call Ebay, all they say is  "We will escalate this problem"....it has been 3 years....nothing has been done!!  The list of problems are endless on line...check it out, I don't understand how Ebay is still in business, guess we are trusting thinking when we buy something on Ebay we will get what we pay for...NO, not in all cases, then you call Ebay with a complaint and you are to get your money back, YOU as the buyer ends up waiting 8 days...but, when you buy an item, you are to pay that second!!!

@jtropics11  What I don't understand is why you are mad at an eBay seller when you should be mad at the manufacturer of the solar light that you are buying?  The seller has no input into the design/manuacture of the products they sell just as long as they work.  It is up to the buyer to research the product to make sure that it will meet their needs.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 46 of 61
latest reply

You are absolutely right..I agree...BUT...can you imagine buying a flashlight...use it for a while...it goes out, you try changing the batteries, can't, they are either glued or soldered into the flashlight...you end up throwing the flashlight out....a good flashlight is NOT cheap as with solar lights....I have mentioned over and over to EBAY...tell your sellers to INFORM potential buyers the batteries cannot be changed, because they are glued or soldered in...3 years now, reason they won't, who would buy them, would you have bought anything that contains a battery, knowing you cannot change the battery....I think not!

Message 47 of 61
latest reply

Ummm, buy an inexpensive soldering iron? Problem solved. They're not difficult to use.
Message 48 of 61
latest reply

Oh trust me, I CAN change those batteries out. Not difficult at all with the proper tools. I've had to do that to professional music keyboards and MIDI controller pedal boards that have batteries permanently soldered and glued into place. It's not difficult once you learn how to do it. And you can do it for others as a service and make money from doing it. You're missing out on an advantage to make more money.
Message 49 of 61
latest reply

Ummmmm easy said than done...how does that iron work if they are glued in....?

No way can you use a soldering iron to remove the batteries...NO WAY!! As for the

glue, the manufacturers pours a solid clear seal over the batteries, like a varnish..

the ONLY thing you can see is the very tips of the batteries....you will destroy the

lights trying to remove them....

Message 50 of 61
latest reply

So True. 

Message 51 of 61
latest reply

useless

Message 52 of 61
latest reply

I just sold some gorgeous new Dooney and Bourke purses for my sister on Ebay. She didn't have an Ebay account so I listed them under mine. I took several photos of the purses with my cell phone's camera and listed them as "Buy It now" items. We took some really nice close-ups of the purses at various angles. Almost immediately one potential buyer started asking me about the color of one of the purses. I told her it was CHESTNUT - the color it says on the purse's tag, on our listing and in our photos. Before listing them, my sister and I had compared the photos to the purses to be sure we were accurate with their colors. This same lady kept asking me if my photos were actually true to the purses color. She even wanted me to watch a D & B video on Youtube because she didn't think it looked the same color as the chestnut one in the video. The color of these purses do look different in different lightning. And the chestnut or any D & B purse color for that matter can vary according to the grain of the leather. Following email after email asking the same questions over and over and becoming a pest to me, I finally told her to PLEASE NOT BUY THE PURSE if she had any doubt about the color because our policy was "NO REFUND." It was a brand new purse and there was absolutely no reason to return it. She then turned around and bought it, even after I had asked her not to because she had been so wishy washy about the color. The one thing she did agree on was that $230 was a good price for the purse since it was half of its original price. My sister shipped it within two days of the the three days we had allowed for handling it, but I already had serious doubts and misgiving about this buyer! Sure enough, the shipping was slow. And she complained about it being too slow. Not our fault, once it's out of our hands. Then several days after it arrived, she started saying she didn't like the color and that we lied to her and it wasn't the same color as in my listing photos at all. So here we go emailing each other back and forth. I tell her that our policy is no refunds and it says so in our description and I have that option checked off on our listings. I remind her that I asked her not to purchase it if she was unsure about the color because of the no return policy we chose. We go back and forth again and the emails keep getting ruder and ruder and more frequent. I turned her into Ebay for the rude emails, misuse of the return option and for for leaving me horribly negative feedback. It dropped my 100% feedback for the past 19 years now, down to 99.1% because of her ugly comments. She has shipped the purse back to us but we haven't received it yet. I had to block her from buying from me again and block her emails so she couldn't contact me anymore. She has tied up my PayPal account funds until this is settled. She has caused me and my sister so much mental anquish that once this is resolved I am closing out my Ebay account. I have been a member there since 1999 and in all those years have never come across anyone like her. I called Ebay at least 4 or 5 times and they eventually came straight with me and told me I had to honor the refund even if I had stated no refund and selected that option. I can tell you right now, EBAY DOES NOT HONOR THE "NO REFUND" POLICY. In my mind, my sister and I should have never gone through all this! Ebay should have stepped in and never let this buyer put us through all this. They should have stopped her and told her no more emails and positively no refund. PLEASE BEWARE that any time you sell on Ebay, do not chose the "no refund" option because it's just useless to do so. Ebay shouldn't even offer this option. I was finally told by the last Ebay rep I talked to that I was liable for the refund no matter what, even if I started a dispute claim. So I'd just as soon refund her her money and get it over with because they would be siding with the buyer. That would be the outcome and basically I had no case against her! It's a sad day for me after selling and buying on the auction site for so many years. It paid for many doctor bills and it was our yearly Christmas money that otherwise we may not have had. I know the money my sister made from me selling her purses for her was much appreciated and she put it to good use. We always like to help each other out when we can. And I thought that's what I was doing. Now she has to come up with the $230 which she no longer has. Remember we didn't expect any returns as that was the option we had chosen for our listings. If you sell on Ebay, I pray this never happens to you. Just please be aware that Ebay always sides with the buyer. Even though they don't tell you that, IT IS THEIR POLICY!!!!!

Message 53 of 61
latest reply

@webcat12345 wrote:

I just sold some gorgeous new Dooney and Bourke purses for my sister on Ebay. She didn't have an Ebay account so I listed them under mine. I took several photos of the purses with my cell phone's camera and listed them as "Buy It now" items. We took some really nice close-ups of the purses at various angles. Almost immediately one potential buyer started asking me about the color of one of the purses. I told her it was CHESTNUT - the color it says on the purse's tag, on our listing and in our photos. Before listing them, my sister and I had compared the photos to the purses to be sure we were accurate with their colors. This same lady kept asking me if my photos were actually true to the purses color. She even wanted me to watch a D & B video on Youtube because she didn't think it looked the same color as the chestnut one in the video. The color of these purses do look different in different lightning. And the chestnut or any D & B purse color for that matter can vary according to the grain of the leather. Following email after email asking the same questions over and over and becoming a pest to me, I finally told her to PLEASE NOT BUY THE PURSE if she had any doubt about the color because our policy was "NO REFUND." It was a brand new purse and there was absolutely no reason to return it. She then turned around and bought it, even after I had asked her not to because she had been so wishy washy about the color. The one thing she did agree on was that $230 was a good price for the purse since it was half of its original price. My sister shipped it within two days of the the three days we had allowed for handling it, but I already had serious doubts and misgiving about this buyer! Sure enough, the shipping was slow. And she complained about it being too slow. Not our fault, once it's out of our hands. Then several days after it arrived, she started saying she didn't like the color and that we lied to her and it wasn't the same color as in my listing photos at all. So here we go emailing each other back and forth. I tell her that our policy is no refunds and it says so in our description and I have that option checked off on our listings. I remind her that I asked her not to purchase it if she was unsure about the color because of the no return policy we chose. We go back and forth again and the emails keep getting ruder and ruder and more frequent. I turned her into Ebay for the rude emails, misuse of the return option and for for leaving me horribly negative feedback. It dropped my 100% feedback for the past 19 years now, down to 99.1% because of her ugly comments. She has shipped the purse back to us but we haven't received it yet. I had to block her from buying from me again and block her emails so she couldn't contact me anymore. She has tied up my PayPal account funds until this is settled. She has caused me and my sister so much mental anquish that once this is resolved I am closing out my Ebay account. I have been a member there since 1999 and in all those years have never come across anyone like her. I called Ebay at least 4 or 5 times and they eventually came straight with me and told me I had to honor the refund even if I had stated no refund and selected that option. I can tell you right now, EBAY DOES NOT HONOR THE "NO REFUND" POLICY. In my mind, my sister and I should have never gone through all this! Ebay should have stepped in and never let this buyer put us through all this. They should have stopped her and told her no more emails and positively no refund. PLEASE BEWARE that any time you sell on Ebay, do not chose the "no refund" option because it's just useless to do so. Ebay shouldn't even offer this option. I was finally told by the last Ebay rep I talked to that I was liable for the refund no matter what, even if I started a dispute claim. So I'd just as soon refund her her money and get it over with because they would be siding with the buyer. That would be the outcome and basically I had no case against her! It's a sad day for me after selling and buying on the auction site for so many years. It paid for many doctor bills and it was our yearly Christmas money that otherwise we may not have had. I know the money my sister made from me selling her purses for her was much appreciated and she put it to good use. We always like to help each other out when we can. And I thought that's what I was doing. Now she has to come up with the $230 which she no longer has. Remember we didn't expect any returns as that was the option we had chosen for our listings. If you sell on Ebay, I pray this never happens to you. Just please be aware that Ebay always sides with the buyer. Even though they don't tell you that, IT IS THEIR POLICY!!!!!

If you've been buying and selling here for years, how is it that you did virtually everything wrong with this listing/buyer/return request?

Message 54 of 61
latest reply

Razor knife will remove the glue so you can get the batteries out. Yes I have done this DOZENS of times and never once destroyed an item. Pick up an inexpensive soldering iron, learn how to use it, as proper soldering technique is key. If you can't get to them with a razor knife like an exacto knife, there are other methods, such as 91% isopropyl alcohol, applying heat to the cement. Usually they can be pried or pushed out, depending on how they're in there. If they're in a tube, like a traditional flashlight, you can apply heat and try 91% pure rubbing alcohol or something like goo gone. Many types of blue are soluble with oil, so you can also try trumpet valve oil, which is a very thin oil much like water, as it breaks up a lot of different types of adhesives. Patience and persistence are your best friend here.
Message 55 of 61
latest reply

I absolutely agree. The Seller is at the mercy of the buyer. I sold 4 brand new items still sealed from factory and under warranty. The buyer claims one of the items was defective. OK they are under warranty and I sent the link to get RMa and offered to do it for the buyer if buyer would give me the serial number of bad item No response. So I asked EBay to step in to resolve and they are refunding the guys money. I won't be selling on EBay anymore.
Message 56 of 61
latest reply

I too will no longer sell on EBay and will be cancelling my current listings.

J
Message 57 of 61
latest reply

I find this quite useful"

https://badbuyerlist.org/

You can see if their listed before, and definately list them afterwards.
Message 58 of 61
latest reply

I sold a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus to a guy who goes by the name of seller8040.  I paid $259.00 for a new OEM Samsung screen and mid-frame, a brand new glass battery cover,  Phone Looked brand new, not a scratch.  the guy i think dropped the phone when he got it, cracked the screen, broke or replaced the front camera with a defective one,  Now i got a phone back with a cracked screen and broke front camera,  i did a complaint to ebay, they have the pictures, and they still did a judgement against me,  refunded all his money,  where in the hell does the seller get protected at all,  I have a very good rating on ebay, have done alot of money on ebay. If ebay don't make this right, i will close my account and goto Amazon, I am a supervisor for a company that repairs phones in ohio, i see alot of people and always recomended ebay to people,  but if ebay don't make this right, i will never do that again.

Message 59 of 61
latest reply

EBay told me that buyer or seller whoever gets too them first wins. So the first sign of a problem from the buyer the seller should immediately file a claim against the buyer and call eBay to have a human investigate. I was told to message the buyer before any item is shipped and get them to agree to your terms and service.  

Message 60 of 61
latest reply