cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mailing to a prison

A woman bought a book and wants me to send it to her husband who is in prison.  It is a very inexpensive book.  Should I do it?  She wants me to put her address as a return in case it can't be delivered.  I don't feel right about this.  Should I just send her money back and take  a negative feedback?  Any advise is appreciated.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

mailing to a prison

She wants you to try and send it to the prison, if it’s not accepted, wants it to go to her? Then she files SNAD and you’re out your money and book. I would cancel, problem with buyers address. I would report the buyer to eBay.
This all sounds bad!

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

mailing to a prison

You will have to send the item to the address that appears when you go to print the shipping label (and that could well be the prison address).  But you absolutely should NOT change the return address because that could cause problems for you later.

There is no reason to refuse the sale or the shipment unless she presses the issue about addresses.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

@sweetswampy  Hi, sweet...nice to see you again and I hope you are doing well!

As zz mentioned, you are required to ship to the address in the "OK to Ship" PayPal transaction notice, however, you can't change the return address to that of the buyer.

I would send the buyer a message and explain that you can't change the return address and would they like to cancel the transaction ~ if yes, cancel using "Buyer Requested" and you will receive a refund for your FVF and the buyer will be refunded.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

I  Googled "can I ship  package to someone in prison?".  The answer was no.  It is not allowed to send pakages to a prison.  So  I told her that but haven't  heard  back yet.  If I don't  hear back,  I will cancel transaction.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

I mailed a sports card to a prison. I can't say if the person received it or not. It wasn't returned to me.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

@sweetswampy wrote:

I  Googled "can I ship  package to someone in prison?".  The answer was no.  It is not allowed to send pakages to a prison.  So  I told her that but haven't  heard  back yet.  If I don't  hear back,  I will cancel transaction.

@sweetswampy  Hi again, sweet...What does the PayPal transaction say regarding the address?  If it says "OK to Ship" then you must ship to that address in order to avoid a defect because using "problem with buyers address" won't fly if PayPal is showing the address as valid.  Don't make the buyers problem your problem and please come back and let us know what happens!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

I refunded the payment and she left me a neutral feedback and she stated Wouldnt change mailing address although everyone else does.  Did refund.  So okay.  I thought it was over but yesterday she sent payment for the book again.     She still wants me to change the return address to her address.   I figure it is because some mail is not accepted.   I feel like refunding again.  I did block her now.  Can she leave another feedback?  This is too much drama for an inexpensive paperback book.  What would you do?  I don't want to call Ebay.  

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

The Paypal says OK to ship.  But they don't know she wants me to change the return address.  Does the post office allow this?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

I just did a search on " is it illegal to use someone elses  return address in place of my own".  The answer was yes it is illegal.   Sorry to be such a pest about this. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

She wants you to try and send it to the prison, if it’s not accepted, wants it to go to her? Then she files SNAD and you’re out your money and book. I would cancel, problem with buyers address. I would report the buyer to eBay.
This all sounds bad!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

Thank you!    I just got a letter from paypal that she is going to open a case against me if I don't refund her money.    So I just refunded her (for the second time).    Then I cancelled with the reason of problem with address.    Ebay just sent me a notice that the order was cancelled and I would be getting my fees back and I can relist.    I hope this is the end of this one.    Thanks to everyone who offered advise.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

Sorry you had to go through all that. She gave me a headache and I didn’t have to go through it.
Have a great weekend!

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

I know topic is a bit old but this might help others with this situation. I sent 2 books to the address in eBay only to have it returned, only to find out it was going to a prison, the address was scratch out and a arrow pointing to eBay logo unauthorized vendor. After a bit of calling around talked to the prison they stated unless you are a Barnes & Nobles you are not allowed to send books to inmates. Anything from eBay or amazon will be returned, and you are charged from postal service for the return. eBay said refund cost of books and cancel order due to address issues.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

That doesn’t make sense. So every book seller needs to look up the address of the buyer to make sure it’s not a prison? That’s not going to happen. Why would the po charge for a refused package? Only B&N?
Yep, still doesn’t make sense.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

mailing to a prison

Cd's, magazines, books, have to be ordered through a company like Barnes and Noble, you can not send them yourself, at least here in Colorado. I am trying to find out about Amazon and E Bay..

Message 15 of 16
latest reply