cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal holding funds for 21 days

lonewolf6459
Enthusiast
I sold a jewlery item on here and the funds were put right into my account for me to spend. I sold another jewlery item 3 days later and they told me they can hold my money for up to 21 days. What if I was bidding on another item and needed the money to pay for it. If the buyer decides he does not like the item, he gets the money back. I liked the old days on ebay. I have a feedback of 43 with 100 percent positive. I usually only sell on here when money is tight. I am looking for another place to sell. Any suggestions out there?????
Message 1 of 160
latest reply
159 REPLIES 159

Re: Paypal holding funds for 21 days

I started selling on ebay in 1998, when you had to type in a thread to post a picture.  I periodically sell a ton and then take off a month or too.  I used to sell to many Item, which could be a hassle to get out all in a timely manner and the right person, live and learn.  This was the reason to list several complete with them and plan for the next time.

So I sold something buy now this week, knowing it was priced to sell the same day, as it did.  I go to paypal and find a 21 day hold on my money,"what's this?"  I haven't concerned myself with feedback, all that, its bogus, and a pain at many levels.  Consider the customer that oh so common personality disorder, A&L. R. though we will call it obsessive/ compulsive.   The expect the item in 3days in Hong Kong, or  it has a scuff,here and you only told me about the other 49 scuffs but not this one, and oh I can settle for a small cash refund, which you give them to avoid the stupid that comes with "Negative feedback for the $1 item.

Or when you say what you see is what you get, and they missed looking at the 12 pictures you showed them.  I always say, IF you have a question about this item ASK FIRST, and if you do not hear back from me then Please DON"T BID!  But no that is asking to much.  Sorry I got off the topic, or did I?

So I check this thing called Dashboard and though all things seem right, everything is a smidge off 5 stars with 35 in each. 1 engative feedback in 12 months, "HEY THATS REAL GOOD AINT IT" at least I think it is, I mena for Gosh sake were DEALIG WITH FLAWED HUMANS right.  I'm lucky they don't grade me for how much feedback I leasve, as I don't bother unless you ask me too or you have a very small number like under 10. OK whats the problem and this is were it gets interesting, PERFORMANCE in RED = below  standard. Click on that Item as discribed 4.9, Communication 4.85, shipping time 4.93, shipping handling 5.0.  Opened cases 3.3, yeah people complain and all off these were resoved and everybody was happy, but NOOOO everybody is not happy, BAYMONSTER is NOT SATISFIED.  In we go and one of the 3.3 is the same as another, I was dinged twice for one person, THE BAY IS MISTaken, they made a mistake.  SO several holds on the phone including lots of music and being lost in transfer once only to have to start over, and finally speak to someone that may actually be located in this country, and what.  Oh we can fix that but it won't happen until the 20th of the next month.  OK, I ask" so how much interest is paypal paying me to use my money for the next 21 days" silence on the other end then, "No sir we charge you no interest," me"no how much is paypal paying me for interest for using my $300 bucks for an extra 21 days.  "Uhhhhh, no sir we don't pay interest."  Me " you don't, I think you should consider I am a lawyer and specialize in finance, and I hope you are telling this to all your customers, because when I call them as witnesses the interest I will make onm my $300 will be substantial.  Can you hold sir? me "sure."  Minutes and minutes pass..... "Sorry for the hold sir we have fixed the initial issue and have released the hold on your money.  Me "shoot thats to bad, I was hoping to be the person to cash in, oh by the way are you doing this across the board"  "I'm sorry sir we are only able to address you about your issues.  Moral of the story, one voice, full of crap can make a difference.  Oh ebay has become like so many wonderful and fun things in the beginning, stale and slimy, like or politicans.  What happened to , ALL SALES ARE BETWEEN THE BUYER AND THE SELLER AND ULTIMATELY THEY SHOULD RESOLVE THEIR ISSUES, get big brother out of my bedroom , ebay is now another of the 1%ers telling everyone they only get to suckel off the hind tet!  This too shall change in time, think of all the things that were big and went bust when they over extended their realm.  I for one will continue to slog along doing limited business tilll the next place comes along that brings the fun back in being human or a HUMAN Being.  Sorry for the demise of the bay, it was fun once upon a time, too bad, so sad.

Message 31 of 160
latest reply

artsybrown: I feel your pain and outrage,:-( but we all agreed to the rules then and in future when we registered for a eBay/PayPal account. I speak from experience that unless a seller has a treasure trove of unique items where buyers will seek out and find that seller even at a kool-aid stand in Timbuktu that other web site present a very poor rate of selling success. To me even with all eBay/PayPals faults they are still the only 'game in town'. I am adapting almost daily and if you can't then good luck to you & future sales at another web site!:-)

Message 32 of 160
latest reply

I Love Ebay.  FACT! But, artie-chicago wants you to "adapt", meaning he doesn't want you to speak out about any "of eBays faults".  He wants you just to take it and shut up and do what they tell you because they are the only game in town.

Ebay reaching across legal barriers into paypal, to hold funds for any reason is a crime.  Ebay cannot hold your assets to make you list free shipping or ship faster than what your listing clearly says.  Buyers must be held to the legal contract too. Donahoe is a white collar criminal and he is commiting extortion every day.  I am one count.  Each other individual seller is another count of extortion under threat and financial ruin.   It is illegal for someone to hack into your paypal account. sd Ebay thinks they can "hack" into my account and extort me for better selling performance when I am better than they are.

Every time I see artie chicago comments, they are ALL the same. Sellers need to shut up and OBEY or leave.

That is exactly what the customer service tells me on the phone.  Same exact stuff.  Ebay is holding my assets weeks after the deal has been competed and both feedbacks left.  Paypal is supposed to have protection against unauthorized access to your account.  But they let eBay in to steal your assets for 3 weeks.

Ebay is holding my assets from me and telling me to do something that is against my best interests. Namely, they want me to increase my prices by adding shipping charges into every item.  Thereby killing my multiple item shipping discounts.  Ebay wants me to rip off the buyer or just sell less but then they punish me for it.  It is sick.  Donahoe is sick. Filthy rich, arrogant, detatched and hostile.  He is why people are protesting in Wall Street.  Greed, open extortion, and insider trading. dsf

Ebay cannot hold any money in paypal from me, that is the same as unauthorized entry into my account.  Only paypal can hold fund and that is only if funds have not been verified or the buyer was a fraud.  But my buyer has verified ALL MY funds and ebay is keeping them to force me into cheating my buyers and hurting my business. I called the police and explained.  They said "Yes, it is extortion and it is illegal, Do you want to press charges?" Of course I said no, but my lawyer is drooling right now.  As soon as the buyer has recieved his purchase, the deal between the seller and buyer is done.  NO ONE outside that legal transaction can interfere and hold your assets to force ANY behavior.  Not even the buyer can hold his own money until he receives the item!!!  That would be extortion. Period.

Buyers are baited and pushed into leaving contradictory positive feedback but leave negative comments.

I have good customer service, far better than eBays. I always have. Just because ONE brand new buyer bought 10 things from me and leaves bad DSR's on all 10 items doesn't mean I had 10 buyers upset at me.  I pay ebayds over 3000 a year, and they say I have bad customer service?

Message 33 of 160
latest reply

It's on this PayPal page:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/ebay_payments_learn_more&...

Here are the most common reasons why:

• You have a Below Standard seller rating on eBay

• You have a limited selling history on eBay, which means that any of the following are true:

1. It’s been 90 days or less since your first successful sale on eBay, or

2. You’ve made 25 or fewer sales transactions on eBay, or

3. You’ve sold $250 or less on eBay

4. We believe there may be a high level of risk associated with your account or your transactions. This can include risk that your account will have a higher number of eBay Buyer Protection cases, PayPal disputes, PayPal claims, buyer chargebacks or other reversals.

The "below standard" stuff doesn't apply to me, and neither do the 4 things listed above, yet they still slapped the hold on me.  When I pressed them on it, the main thing I managed to pick out of all their gobbledygook in the ridiculously garbled emails they sent me was that I don't yet have 100 feedbacks.  I wish they'd make up their minds if their standard is going to be 25 transactions or 100 feedbacks.  I think they use or say whatever is convenient for them, TTTT. 

Here is exactly what they told me, copied and pasted from the email:

"- Maintain good selling performance on eBay:

·        An eBay feedback score of more than 100, - you already
have 48 feedback, you only need 52 more feedback
      ·        Received more than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last
12 months, - your current DSR number is already and average of 5.0."

Message 34 of 160
latest reply

https://www.paypal.com/hk/cgi-bin/?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SaferPayments-outside

Well MA, seems PayPal's 100 FB requirement quite ambiguous:

Why would PayPal hold one of my payments?

You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100,

If you are a seller with an eBay feedback score lower than 100, but you have a record of good performance, you’ll receive payments instantly in most cases.

and you sell an item for more than $100

Sorry PayPal giving you the runaround.

PayPal doesn’t hold payments for eBay items if you meet the following:

I’m a new seller. Will payments I receive be held?

• You have been an eBay member for 6-months or more, and

• Your total Feedback score is 100 or greater, and

• Your Buyer dissatisfaction percentage** is less than 5%.
  • The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    Message 35 of 160
    latest reply

Yep, myronann, they are not following their own policy. THey have a catch-all reason on another page:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/paypal_holds_faq

in the section "Who does this affect?"

Bwahaha. And the last section of that page?

"Why does PayPal hold payments?"

Holding funds in a pending balance for a specified amount of time is a common practice in the payments industry. Delaying access to funds helps ensure that sellers have sufficient funds in their account to cover claims or refunds.

This is pure, unadulterated fiction. The payments industry is BUILT around getting those payments through ASAP. It is anything BUT common practice. I write a check to a retailer, they cash it electronically RIGHT THEN and hand the check back to me. They don't nicely hold it for me for 21 days to ensure I have sufficient funds. And don't get me started why it takes 5 days to transfer PayPal funds to my bank account...

Message 36 of 160
    latest reply

I have been argueing this with Ebay & Paypal for hours with no resolution. Paypal blames it on Ebay. Ebay says they are two different companies but can hold your funds through the other company for some odd reason. Maybe a lawyer should check into this. They say one percent of your dsr ratings are low & your funds are automatically held. I got one excuse that a lot of people are leaving us at Ebay right now & running off with the buyers money. All I got in the end is we do everything for the buyer & the seller eats the cost, cut & dry. & they wonder why p[eople are getting tired of Ebay ripping them off. The rep. I spoke to today was just blah blahing about how they provide a platform for me to run my business, They do not provide anything. I pay them to do business, She made it sound like it was a free privledge. I asked well, what do I do when I have a lot of buyers buying withought reading the auction, then when they realize it was not what they thought it was, even thjough it is in big bold black & white, they leave me low dsr ratings... Once again Ebay is going in the wrong direction. I wish Google or someone would buy them out & straighten it out.

Message 37 of 160
    latest reply

I agree it is extortion & we should all team up & pay a lawyer to resolve the issue because the item is yours, you sell it, then the conract is over & the money is yours. By law they have now right to hold funds in your bank account. I asked them about this & they said it was not going to change. Ebay does not care about it's customers, only about it's pocketbook.

Message 38 of 160
    latest reply

ARTIE, You are not adapting, artie. You are agreeing to be a victim of multiple crimes and hostile strong arm tactics.

Just because we agree to their policy to sell on ebay, does not mean we agree to be crime victims.

Not even private country clubs can have "policy" that says they can make you hurt someone or spy on you in the showers and post it on u-tube.  Just because they have the policy does not mean jail sentences won't happen and the club shut down. Sometimes it takes years for the crimes to be known.

Ebays next step is to hold your money for 3 months. Then take all your money right out of your bank account because you have 10,000 dollars "on hold" because they also need your money to pay your fees.  But since ebay is holding all your money, your bank account hasn't had a deposit in over 3 weeks and since you have ISF, they kick you off and keep your confiscated 10 grand.  This will happen within 2 years if Donahoe is allowed to raipe and pillage millions of honest families.  "Kill the goose that layed the golden egg" is eBays motto.

You artie are the person who will blindly support them and tell everyone else that they are wrong. You are trying to tell everyone the sky is red.  (analogy! if you can actually understand something like that)

Even if you are in prison for murder you still have legal human rights to not be raiped in your cell or extorted to get money from your family on the outside.  Likewise eBay cannot say you are below standards and then steal your assets to hold you hostage or leave.

It is a crime to steal under ANY and ALL circumstances.  Period. Ebay is now an organized corporate crime syndicate.

Message 39 of 160
    latest reply

ARTIE, You are not adapting, artie. You are agreeing to be a victim of multiple crimes and hostile strong arm tactics.

Just because we agree to their policy to sell on ebay, does not mean we agree to be crime victims.

Many of us have never been pistol whipped or our accounts illegally emptied by PayPal. If you have an issue with PayPal, take it up with them. In the User Agreement they give you all the information to contact and sue them. 

PayPal User Agreement

14. Disputes with PayPal.

14.1 Contact PayPal First. If a dispute arises between you and PayPal, our goal is to learn about and address your concerns and, if we are unable to do so to your satisfaction, to provide you with a neutral and cost effective means of resolving the dispute quickly. Disputes between you and PayPal regarding the PayPal Services may be reported to Customer Service online through the PayPal Help Center at any time, or by calling (402) 935-2050 from 6 AM to midnight, Central Time.

14.2 Arbitration. For any claim (excluding claims for injunctive or other equitable relief) where the total amount of the award sought is less than $10,000.00 USD, the party requesting relief may elect to resolve the dispute in a cost effective manner through binding non-appearance-based arbitration. If a party elects arbitration, that party will initiate such arbitration through an established alternative dispute resolution (ADR) provider mutually agreed upon by the parties. The ADR provider and the parties must comply with the following rules: a) the arbitration shall be conducted by telephone, online and/or be solely based on written submissions, the specific manner shall be chosen by the party initiating the arbitration; b) the arbitration shall not involve any personal appearance by the parties or witnesses unless otherwise mutually agreed by the parties; and c) any judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction.

14.3 Law and Forum for Disputes. Except as otherwise agreed by the parties or as described in Section 14.2 above, you agree that any claim or dispute you may have against PayPal must be resolved by a court located in either Santa Clara County, California, or Omaha, Nebraska. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located within Santa Clara County, California, or Omaha, Nebraska for the purpose of litigating all such claims or disputes. This Agreement shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of California, without regard to conflict of law provisions.

14.4 Improperly Filed Litigation. All claims you bring against PayPal must be resolved in accordance with Section 14 of this Agreement. All claims filed or brought contrary to Section 14 shall be considered improperly filed and a breach of this Agreement. Should you file a claim contrary to Section 14, PayPal may recover attorneys’ fees and costs (including in-house attorneys and paralegals) up to $1,000.00 USD, provided that PayPal has notified you in writing of the improperly filed claim, and you have failed to promptly withdraw the claim.

14.5 Insolvency Proceedings. If any proceeding by or against you is commenced under any provision of the United States Bankruptcy Code, as amended, or under any other bankruptcy or insolvency law, PayPal will be entitled to recover all reasonable costs or expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses) incurred in connection with the enforcement of this Agreement.

14.6 No Waiver. Our failure to act with respect to a breach by you or others does not waive our right to act with respect to subsequent or similar breaches.

14.7 Indemnification. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold PayPal, its parent, the officers, directors, agents, joint venturers, employees and suppliers of PayPal or its Parent, harmless from any claim or demand (including attorneys’ fees) made or incurred by any third party due to or arising out of your breach of this Agreement and/or your use of the PayPal Services.

14.8 Assumption of Rights. If PayPal pays out a Claim, Reversal or Chargeback that you file against a recipient of your payment, you agree that PayPal assumes your rights against the recipient and third parties related to the payment, and may pursue those rights directly or on your behalf, in PayPal's discretion.

14.9 Release of PayPal. If you have a dispute with one or more Users, you release PayPal (and our parent, officers, directors, agents, joint ventures, employees and suppliers) from any and all Claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes. In addition, you waive any protection available to you under California Civil Code §1542, which says: general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in h...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    Message 40 of 160
    latest reply

Yep, myronann, they are not following their own policy.  

Yep, my butt is chapped, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it. 

Haven't sold anything since they informed me that any payments I receive from now on will be held, so we'll just wait and see how quickly they release my funds after the DC shows delivered.

Message 41 of 160
    latest reply

I have had an ebay and paypal account for over 11 years and I just got hit with this 21 Day Hold crap.

I do far more buying than selling, but I have never had any issues when I sold.

Easy solution, the next time I sell an item, I will require check, or money order payment.  I can take the checks to my bank to make sure that they are valid, get paid, and then ship the items.

I'll get paid much faster than waiting for paypal.

KRA

Message 42 of 160
    latest reply

Hi KRA and welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

"Easy solution, the next time I sell an item, I will require check, or money order payment."

Be careful how you word that in your auction. eBay frowns on requiring checks and money orders.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    Message 43 of 160
    latest reply

krapug: Good luck with having checks and money orders cashed at your local bank. I have been told that the wait time was 30 days at the bank I deal with . Not an eBay transaction. And then the time the buyer has to take the to go buy a money order and put it in the mail they can lose their enthusiasm and your left holding your merchandise. Your going to need a lot of patience with your new business plan. 😐

Message 44 of 160
    latest reply

This is my third paypal payment hold.......they can't make up their minds. ha ha. And, while it is an annoyance, it's really not a big deal.

I had two payments released immediately when the buyers left feedback on the delivery day. A recent buyer has not left feedback, and their package was delivered yesterday. Paypal released those funds today.

It's not really a 21 day hold for me......more like 3-4 days. I always keep a reserve in my account anyway to cover an unexpected return.

Message 45 of 160
    latest reply