cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

Re: Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

Honda I bet those shoes would look great on you.

Just don't forget your blue vest when greeting! B-)

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Message 241 of 356
latest reply

wargamer55
Enthusiast

I'm just a part-time seller and I've become very frustrated with the changes in eBay over the years. For example, you can't get a top-rated seller rating unless you offer a 1-day handling time.

Now, this isn't a business for me and I have offered a 2-day turn-around for years which seems more than reasonable, especially considering that buyers get THREE days to pay after they win the bid. And this year, for the first time ever, I've had to open Disputes to prod late payers -- and I've had to do it several times? What's up with that?

I think the entire atmosphere of eBay has turned against small sellers. It's great for buyers and big businesses who are willing to put up with the fees and hassle and can afford full-time staff.

Not to mention various fee increases and other rule changes which are making this less and less worth it. I'm just about out of here, I think. I know when I'm not wanted.

Message 242 of 356
latest reply

wargamer55
Enthusiast

100% Feedback. Member since 1999 and yet I'm not a "Top Seller."

Message 243 of 356
latest reply

Not with a 4.7 DSR in S&H - looking at your current listings - $8.50 S&H is steep - you'd be better adjusting your pricing structure, up your starting price, offer free First Class Package if they're light enough (I don't think they'll qualify for Media Mail), otherwise, they'd likely fit in a flat rate Priority Mail Padded Mailer at less than $6.

Personally, I'd just start them $8.99 or $9.99 and offer free shipping across the board - guaranteed 5-star for S&H.

Good luck!

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei 😄
Message 244 of 356
latest reply

Good morning WarGamer and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

Along with BMR's advice I'd like to add that there is a lot more to TRS and TRS+ ratings.> http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html#what

What you should note is that you can be a TRS without 1 day handling:

Upload shipment tracking  to your buyer's My eBay within your promised handling time for at least 90% of your transactions with US buyers in the last 3 months.

Hope this helps!

There is more criteria to meet to become a TRS or TRS+

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 245 of 356
latest reply

wargamer55
Enthusiast

I generally ship via Priority Mail because it provides tracking. There would be cheaper ways but then there's no tracking number or you have to pay extra which kind of kills the cheapness.  I had a bunch of times earlier this year that I shipped First Class and it looks like that hurt me because there was no tracking number. There were no complaints and the items seemed to arrive (or at least nobody claimed they didn't arrive).

Message 246 of 356
latest reply

Wargamer you have a few inexpensive  items for sale , as a buyer in canada these items would cost under $10 to ship using First class international but shipping via priority would cost $30  .By offering only priority you will lose almost all canadians as potential buyers . Only sellers I buy from are the ones that ship USPS FCI and I haven't had any issues since the increase of usps postal rates.

I don't do normal.......
Message 247 of 356
latest reply

Wargamer - First Class Package now provides tracking (for free) and automatically uploads the status to ebay if you print your label here . . . I use it extensively and it is the only way to ship if it under 13 oz in my opinion . . . 

Priority Flat Rate Bubble mailer would be the best option for your current listing for people who wanted Priority.

A 12 ounce package can go anywhere in the US using First Class Package for $3.23, or anywhere in the US using USPS Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope for $5.70.

To Canada, First Class Package is $8.24 anywhere, and USPS Priority Mail International Padded Flat Rate Envelope is $19.95.

I'd up my starting price by $4 to cover US FCP and list free shipping with a USPS Priority as an option for $3.00.

On the same auction, I'd add Canada via FCI Package for $5 (you already added the $4 to the sale price) and if you wanted to add as an option, Priority International for $16 (unlikely they'd use it - but give them the option).

If the game is over 13 oz, then domestic First Class is out, but International First Class can go to 4 pounds (obviously the rate goes up if the weight goes up) - but as long as it will fit, the Priority Padded Flat Rate stays the same.  For games heavier than 13 ounces, I just up my starting point by $6, and offer free domestic Priority  . . .

Hope this helps.

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei 😄
Message 248 of 356
latest reply

anthony.luca2012
Enthusiast

This is a question that you have to ask yourself. Do the benefits outweigh the restrictions that are placed on sellers? I sell on several other auction sites other than Ebay. You may not get the same number of sales that you get from ebay, but what you do sell goes into your pocket. There are no sellers fees on these sites, and i can accept any type of payment i choose. (with ebay it is paypal or nothing). ( i accept Google chekout, cashiers checks, personal checks, and U.S. postal money orders) I've been doing this for over a year now, and have had no problems with non paying buyers. The only protection on ebay is for buyers. Do your homework, and look around.

I like to buy here on ebay. I have alot of seller friends here on ebay, and some other sites. Let me help you with my buyer's expertise when you shop for fan apparrel or other sports memorabilia.
Message 249 of 356
latest reply

have done atleast several shipments using First Class International myself, have not had an issue yet BUT there seems to be no tracking for them (odd because the post office claimed they fixed that now)

there is "tracking" but no delivery confirmation from what I have seen not a single FCI package i have sent out has confirmed delivery so the tracking just says it left my state and it ends there.

but all of my buyers did receive their items and quicker than they expected to (based on the glowing feedback they left for me - specifically noting very quick shipping)

Message 250 of 356
latest reply

jrkv51
Enthusiast

I just sold an $89 item...Ebay got about $9 of it and it cost $12.90 to ship it...I would say No.  I will never, ever sell on Ebay again...and I've sold quite a bit over the years.  Would rather donate the stuff to a charity.  Between the Ebay fees and shipping costs not worth it anymore.  

Message 251 of 356
latest reply

jrkv51 ...... I would agree about not being worth the time and effort to sell on ebay ,

If I was in the United States and didn't have to worry about Canada Post rates  I would be more likely to sell on ebay. Most of the items I have sold on ebay has netted me less than wholesale cost due to the cost of shipping .It is not easy to sell on ebay and make a reasonable profit with all the competition . I think lots of the people that do sell part time do not realize how much time they are really putting into ebay looking for items they can make a decent profit at .

I don't do normal.......
Message 252 of 356
latest reply

jrkv - is the $89 item the Algebra text?  If so, did you ship it media rate?  That's the best way to ship books . . .

Message 253 of 356
latest reply

Ebay and paypal suspended my account for supposedly selling counterfeit jerseys, which i was not.. My wife and I separated recently and I left several jerseys, jackets and other items behind when i left. I told her she could have them to sell and keep the money. She opened an ebay and paypal account, verififed her accounts with a checking account and credit card. She listed her items, and within 2 weeks was notified by paypal that her account had been suspended for using the same computer and ip address i had used when i sold on ebay. At that point in time she had sold 4 items, and had received a 100% positive feedback rating from her buyers. Paypal froze her account. She has #350.00 being held for 180 days, another $249.00 in sales she could not invoice because she could not receive or send money into and from her paypal account. What is she to do? Is it legal what paypal is doing? The woman followed all of the rules. She was charged for her selllers fees, and she can't get her money. I am now a seller on a much better auction site than ebay. I told her to list there as well. I have cost ebay several sellers and buyers, and will continue to do so. Just a question of time before this all catches up to ebay and paypal, if it hasn't already. Let me know your thoughts on the matter.

You don't need my thoughts, you need a lawyer for your ex, or a new computer with a different IP addy. It is well known that suspended accounts are not allowed to open new accounts with different info.> http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/suspended-accounts.html

Can I or a family member open a new account while my account is suspended?

No, you can't register a new account or use an existing account while your account is suspended. We may also suspend new or existing accounts that were opened by anyone in the same household as, or associated with, a suspended user.

Make sure you check the "fine print" when you click the "I Agree" button on all these fabulous new sites you're running your pie-hole over, they have the same rules too.

Oh, wait a minute! You knew all about this but threw your ex under the bus, gave her stuff you used to sell ( Not fake, right?;-) ) and told her exactly how to open an invalid ID...Brilliant! Talk about sweet revenge! Did she get the 1/2 used toothpaste tube and you got the full kitty litter box?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 254 of 356
latest reply

cooljunketc
Enthusiast

I  AM GLAD SOMEONE ELSE IS FEELING MY PAIN, LOL. THE BULLS*#$ I HAVE GONE THROUGH SINCE I STARTED ON EBAY WITH BUYERS. I HAVE HAD A BUYER RETURN MY ITEM, WHICH WASNT MINE,, BROKEN AND EBAY TOLD ME PRETTY MUCH THAT I HAD TO REFUND THEM BECAUSE I WOULDNT WIN THE CASE. I HAVE PICTURES FOR PROOF BUT WHATEVER. EBAY IS GETTING TO BE LAME AND REALLY IS HIGH WAY ROBBERY. WHO ARE YOU HELPING ANYWAYS?

Message 255 of 356
latest reply