cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invoice discussion: to send or not to send, that is the question

beastiebabe007
Enthusiast
Morning, all!

The purpose of this thread is to get some input from other sellers (buyers too, if any want to comment) on whether or not to send an invoice after an auction or best offer (I use IPR with BIN, so doesn't apply to that one). I have been sending them so the buyer has it for his/her records. My logic behind that comes from working in my grandparents' security company, where everything got an invoice. It was pretty much automatic. So, when I began selling on eBay, I naturally sent invoices to my buyers.

However, I have seen in some other threads that invoices are only sent if the buyer doesn't pay for a few days and could potentially be taken the wrong way. My custom has always been to send one to the winning bidder immediately following the close of my auction, just as a business practice; no snarky intentions. The invoices include a thank you, repeat my shipping terms, and give info on my return policy (all the nice topics eBay says to include in the message to buyer). Thus far, it hasn't bitten me on the rear, but I'm just looking for some input from you knowledgeable folks.

Is it offensive to buyers if I send an invoice? Or is it an acceptable business practice?

Thought about posting this in SC, but I'm more comfortable posting here. 🙂

Discussion is good, as long as its done respectfully 😉

Thanks!
Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Invoice discussion: to send or not to send, that is the question

eBay automatically bills the buyer on that he invoice they send. You don’t need to do anything.

Be careful when reading and watch the dates on the threads as some information may be outdated.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 76 of 80
latest reply

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, QUIT SENDING INVOICES!!!!!!!!!! IT IS VERY RUDE!!!
IF I DIDN'T REQUEST ONE, I DON'T NEED TO OPEN MY MAIL TO SEE MY PRIVATE AKA PRINTED ALONG WITH MY REAL NAME FCOL!!!!! 

How rude, evil and/or dumb do you have to be to do in 2019???!!!! We have the DIGITAL records: emails galore: 1) ORDERED 2) SHIPPED OUT plus 3) MY PURCHASES where I can look up any info!!!!

Your callous piece of paper causes me NEEDLESS DISTRESS: I am disabled, I don't have the motor skills to cut out papers (no longer can access my shredder) MANUALLY. Surely ANYONE has heard about DUMPSTER DIVING AND IDENTITY THEFT??! What business is it of yours to send me a printout with my REAL FULL NAME PLUS MY EBAY PRIVATE ID?????? ????????????????????????????????? I ALREADY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you want me to trash YOURS without shredding it!??!? 

My purchase received this AM reminded me why I quit shopping months ago. I don't have the energy for this!!!! Not at the volume I was buying. And sellers don't read PMs, don't follow orders: do NOT send me an invoice means just that! I don't want a email reply with a smiley saying "well I already printed it!" THEN SHRED IT, DO NOT MAIL IT TO ME WHATEVER YOU DO!!! UGH! 

Message 77 of 80
latest reply

It is common business practice to include a packing list with an order. It has been this way for nearly a century in the USA, I don't see why this is a problem now. So what do you do with all the other mail you receive with your personal info on it? Mail such as your utility bills and insurance and such?

I stopped sending packing lists for a while, but I started getting complaints from companies when they would buy from me, and from a lot of individuals, too, because they're used to just opening the packing slip holder on the outside of the box and checking what it is, so they can send it to the right person at the company or they can figure out which item they ordered that is in a particular box. It is in fact considered unprofessional by many for a seller to not include a packing list. I would simply not worry about it, there are much bigger fish most of us have to fry than to worry over that.
Message 78 of 80
latest reply

Also, what this thread is about, is actually the electronic invoice which sellers have the option to send to the buyer... most of us who sell here don't send those because eBay automatically invoices the buyer. A packing list and an invoice, however, are not really the same thing. If you ship via truck freight, you are required by most companies to include a complete list of what is being shipped, so the truck driver can show it to the recipient upon delivery (and get it signed for PROOF of delivery, and also in case the driver gets pulled over, he can show what the contents of the truck are.
Message 79 of 80
latest reply

A customer recently put a claim saying item not recieved she was refunded by ebay,two days later got her item. I asked her to return my item but she opened it, ebay told me to send her a invoice . Will there be anything done if she dont pay

Message 80 of 80
latest reply