cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furry Friends ~ eBay Style!

Spring is here, and the weather today was glorious ~ 79 degrees in No. Calif!  My dog, Max, found a comfortable landing spot to view the birds and the bees in my back yard.  

IMG_0967.JPGIMG_0968.JPG 

Spoiler
Bench pillows and cushion purchased on eBay!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 1 of 193
latest reply
192 REPLIES 192

Re: Furry Friends ~ eBay Style!

Love your kitty Shirls!

Hidy, guess you'll be your neighborhood designated critter sitter.   lol

I would suggest being a foster mom, but that could be difficult.

I know I would have a very hard time giving them back to the shelter.

Jean

Message 106 of 193
latest reply

We have decided to quit watching the political fighting, and the sad news.

Jean001.JPG004.JPG

Message 107 of 193
latest reply

That is such a great picture, Jean...I think I will have a kitty in my future very soon!

My son goes to Montana every summer for vacation and he takes his two very large dogs with him.  Fenway, the Bernese Mountain Dog has a new nickname "moola" because of the dollar amount spent on her vet bills.  She has undergone 2 surgeries during the past 6 months and is now on chemo.....Zoe, the Old English, seems to sense that something is wrong and is always by Fenway's side....dogs are so cool!  Here they are taking a break on the back deck:

Zoe 

IMG_6296-2.JPG<<Fenway, aka, Moola

Message 108 of 193
latest reply

So Cute!

What we do for our fur babies.

Jean

Message 109 of 193
latest reply

Fenway golf hat.jpg

Have you ever seen a dog laugh?  I asked my son for more pictures so he sent me a selfie wearing his golf hat!  Smiley Mad...then he sent me this pic of Fenway, aka, Moola, wearing his golf hat...Fenway got the joke, lol .....

Message 110 of 193
latest reply

Hi all. Am loving all the fur baby pictures. Lifts my spirits and gives me a big smile. I keep telling SO we need a new addition, maybe at Christmas.

Bits is giving her thunder vest a workout, we have had storms every afternoon. The other day she was particularly overwrought and the storm ended up being the most violent in awhile.

I just know she knew the severity of storm before it started.

The heat is another source of displeasure. Two times recently the power has gone out and she starts to make a very low mew sound. She's definitely not a big whiner, but will mew and roll her eyes.

This last time I was more prepared, as I took pre's advice and had a bag of ice ready to fill up a pack for her.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 111 of 193
latest reply

Bits is one lucky doggy to have a mama like you...as Jean stated, there really isn't anything that we wouldn't do for our pets....love me, love my pet...got rid of a few dates using that rationale! silly tongue emo.gif

Message 112 of 193
latest reply

hidy, thank you. We do love this little dog to pieces. She's a rescue from a puppy mill and had a hard life before making a home with us.

The breeder was a nasty piece of work that dropped Bits and the other dachshunds she had been breeding off at the Humane Society, emaciated, no vaccinations, run down from over breeding and sick with heart worms.

Of course the first thing was the heart worm treatments, then the rebuilding with healthy foods and regular feedings.

We just finished with the last of her surgeries and medical treatments in January of this year. From having so many litters, poor nutrition, her teeth were a mess, but the vet was concerned about the length of time she would need to be under, so everything else was done first.

She came through with flying colors and once everything was healed, was able to have her first crunchy bite of food. She was so surprised ... smells good, hmm, bite down, wow!

I think the saddest thing of all, was that she didn't know how to sit down. She had two modes, walk and drop over.

We had kept her very quiet during the heart worm treatments, but near the end, they want her to start working up to regular exercise and of course to explore and learn her new home.

I expressed my concern to the vet, and he said it was just nerves, the newness of the situation, to let her go and see what she did.

She would walk around the perimeter of the room, continually, take water, keep walking, with tongue lolling out, until she plunked over on the floor. <<<< That only happened once, it scared the bejeebers out of me.

I told the vets office, I don't think this dog knows how to sit down. So started our routine where I would let her walk off nervous energy, then I would wrap her in a knitted blanket and hold her. She wanted to struggle and get down and if I let her, off to walk, walk, walk.

If we tried confining her to a smaller room, then the circles would get smaller, but the walking would not decrease. All of my previous dogs have been crate trained and I tried that with her, what a nightmare.

Began with a smallish, single dog crate, she would buck inside the crate and move it across the floor. Tried her in a larger crate and same thing. Got a big dog, wire crate, thinking if she could easily see everything around her, no. She would run from side to side in a frenzy.

So holding her, was it. I can't remember now, how long it took, before she got the idea that it was okay to be awake and not moving.

The first time she actually sat down on the floor, I felt like throwing a big celebration! Even to this day, when I see her sit down, I feel a thrill!

Here's a picture of her getting blanket therapy:

FB_IMG_1469252647051.jpg

You can see, even here, that she's not up to a normal weight, yet, because her nose looks so oversized.

Message 113 of 193
latest reply

Oh my, Savanna...that is a sad story.  Bits had to have PTSD if there is such a thing as that for animals and I bet there is.  I say hallelujah too when she could finally sit down!!  You have been what this little dog needed heart

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 114 of 193
latest reply

Savanna, it's so good your family and Bits found each other.

Yesterday, I watched the Arizona Humane Society "Pets On Parade".   

That's a dangerous show for us to watch.  2 of our 4, were on that show (years ago)

They had a darling little black kitty with only 3 legs.

I would of gotten him, but that would be too many for us.

Missing a back leg, he did not have any trouble getting around, and climbing a kitty tree.

Jean

Message 115 of 193
latest reply

Hi all ... I tell you, when I'm feeling a little down, scrolling through this thread, looking at all our cuddly fur babies is great! A balm for what ails you.

Thank you shirls and jean for your comments Re: Bits. She is such a trooper and we are blessed to have her. She is quite the companion, a kind and gentle soul.

shirls, I do think she has some PTSD ... I know I've talked about fireworks and thunder, but it stretches to loud TV noises, sudden knocks, whether it's the front door or someone sitting a cup down too hard, for example.

Another really odd thing is she has zero interest in toys. In my long dealing with dachshunds, they love toys, especially anything squeaky or crinkly. Drives them crazy, getting at the squeaky even if it only lasts a few minutes, before it's destroyed, but it's fun while it lasted.

Her, she hears a squeak the look on her face changes, if it squeaks more than once she runs away with her tail between her legs and hides under the bed. So strange.

Oh Jean, I would be in the sane boat as you, wanting to adopt. Our Humane Society has similar events and then twice a year, they have free to adopt days.

I've seen your beautiful kitties and know they have a great life with you. They look so happy and relaxed. I wonder who rules the roost?

I would have wanted to grab the three legged kitty myself, the past few years is literally the first time in my life, that I haven't had at least one cat, if not multiple. At one point I had six cats and three dogs!

So it's a little odd only having one. We had another female black and tan (another puppy mill rescue) Lucy, who was 11 when Bits first came to live with us.

Sadly, she passed away, a year ago April. That's why we keep talking about another furry pet, just haven't decided if it will be a dog or cat.

Message 116 of 193
latest reply

{{{Savanna}}}...such a great story and thanks for sharing!  Although pets can be time consuming, to me they are always worth it if you are a real pet lover.  One of my favorite sayings is...I rescued my pet, and my pet rescued me.....so true!

Max was also a rescue and when my ex and I split, Max was the subject of a custody dispute....it was a long and hard fought battle but I prevailed when I agreed to give up the season basketball tickets..just goes to show ya what he really wanted! Smiley Mad Pet lover? I think not! 

Message 117 of 193
latest reply

Wow Savanna, it sounds as though your little gal has been through quite a lot! That is so sad. But fortunately a happy ending as she found your loving home!

I would imagine the aversion to noises (squeaks and crinkles) is a trigger based on something that happened in the former "home". As more time passes, perhaps Bits will become more accustomed to those noises not having something horrible attached to them. It sounds like she has already made some great adjustments to her new, safe environment thanks to all of the patience and love you've provided.

Bits did okay with your other pooch while she was still with you. Maybe a friend or neighbor has a cat you can babysit for a day to see if Bits would get along with a feline?

Oh, and I'm glad the ice pack idea helped!!

Message 118 of 193
latest reply

Ugh - that's horrible of your ex, Hidy. Well, I guess that's why he has the "ex" title and not the "SO" title.... Smiley Indifferent

Message 119 of 193
latest reply

Hidy, I'm glad Max ultimately ended up with the right parent. You know, I cringe when people show their true colors and it makes me wonder how I missed it all that time and was I really so self deluded. ::sigh::

Hi pre! That's a good idea about bringing in a pet temporarily. I know that a quiet companion would be best.

I keep thinking about when I was a kid, we had a male dachshund and male Siamese that were best friends. They slept in the same bed together, at night.

I would like for Bits to have that kind of comfort and companionship.

Message 120 of 193
latest reply