cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: Final value fee change in most categories

As you know, fees vary across categories as eBay always strives to achieve lowest total fees across category competitors. Starting on March 1, 2022, final value fees for Store sellers and those without a store will increase slightly. You can learn more about that here, or review the fee comparison chart here. Feel free to ask any questions below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 2.9.

Message 1 of 222
latest reply
221 REPLIES 221

Re: Question thread: Final value fee change in most categories

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

One benefit is the coupon for Ebay branded shipping supplies.  If a seller uses these supplies, the coupon goes a long ways to offsetting the store fee.

Since the quality of product has gone severely downhill, the quantity for the price has drastically changed since launch, and the prices are really inflated compared to other places that offer better qualify supplies- I will respectfully disagree that the shipping supply coupon goes a "long way" towards offsetting the store fee. It's more like 2 feet on a mile long track. 😜

The experience will not ever be the same for all.  There are still plenty of sellers that get good benefit from the shipping supplies.  I use the padded envelopes and the tissue paper.  I find them to work very well for me and have since the beginning.

The prices are however to high IMHO.  And I've been trying to get Ebay to increase the coupons for store owners for YEARS now.  They keep saying it is a good idea yet nothing is ever done.  The product prices continue to go up and up but not the coupons.  They are the same as they were when this program was introduced.  We can't even get a cost of living raise.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 76 of 222
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

It's to pay for the 329% increase in Ebay's CEo salary. Keep cheerleading though

Except the fees did not even get close to that percentage, so a bit of an overstatement.

Message 77 of 222
latest reply

Well, those savings promised by forcing us into 'Managed Payments' didn't last long. I am speculating that because of the new $600 IRS reporting rule, many hobby sellers will be leaving ebay. You would think someone in management might have decided to entice sellers to stay or bring new sellers on board. This will surely increase the number of sellers who will just pack it in or go elsewhere. The short sightedness is mind boggling. I have been with ebay for 23 years, but am branching out. I can't keep all my eggs in this crumbling old basket...

Message 78 of 222
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Since the quality of product has gone severely downhill, the quantity for the price has drastically changed since launch, and the prices are really inflated compared to other places that offer better qualify supplies- I will respectfully disagree that the shipping supply coupon goes a "long way" towards offsetting the store fee. It's more like 2 feet on a mile long track. 😜

You hit on a very good point ... the eBay supply coupon sure doesn't go as far as it used to ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 79 of 222
latest reply

@wyattco 

Keep in mind that last year PayPal raised their rates pretty significantly.  So what we use to pay of 2.9% to them now is as high as 3.49% and a 49 cent per transaction fee.

Message 80 of 222
latest reply

Can't sell now because the fees are so high which means we have to raise he price of our item and people are not paying more than something is really worth just so we can pay Ebay and on top of that we have to increase either the shipping price or the selling price because Ebay charges on the shipping.  Other auction sites like Ebid don't charge crazy fees.

Message 81 of 222
latest reply

@mr_lincoln Most items are priced over $25 so I always pay more for my 'free' supplies.  The price to purchase these supplies has gone up, but our allotted amount on the coupon does not go up.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 82 of 222
latest reply

Other auction sites if we can build them up that don't charge these outragious fees.  Ebid is one of them

Message 83 of 222
latest reply

Message 84 of 222
latest reply

Keep in mind the amount they charge for shipping supplies is almost 3 times what I can get better boxes for here locally. It's NO DEAL at all for the seller. It's another way they get money from us, and nothing more.

Message 85 of 222
latest reply

Enough already! With this fee increase; fees on sales tax collection; 1099k reporting it is now better to sell my precious metals back to the online dealers I bought them from. It is infuriating to think that when I sell a 10 ounce silver bar 1.3 ounces of it go directly to ebay. 

Message 86 of 222
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

@mr_lincoln Most items are priced over $25 so I always pay more for my 'free' supplies.  The price to purchase these supplies has gone up, but our allotted amount on the coupon does not go up.

@evry1nositswindy   When the coupons first came out and depending on what one purchased there could actually be some left over $$ ... comparing last year to this month I can say I only was paying the sales tax over the coupon value ... I just purchased similar supplies using the coupon and not only the sales tax but additional out of pocket money for about the same things.

Now, we're talking boxes here and I know for a fact that corrugated costs have gone up drastically due to supply chain issues.  Two weeks ago I was talking to a business associate in the corrugated industry, they are running into 2 issues right now trying to meet demand ... 1) availability of corrugated material and 2) quality of the material when they find it.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 87 of 222
latest reply

The CEO is one person so you are missing the whole point. The fees on sellers are on 10's of millions of people, which would add up to that total, and then some.  

Message 88 of 222
latest reply

Of course more fees, and less service from eBay. They can't even fix simply glitches that have been going on for years. So we pay more for much less. Everything I see on here is all about eBay nickel and diming everyone to death, and nothing more. Every move eBay makes is so short sided. Maybe instead of spending 5 BILLION DOLLARS to buy back you own stock you could have fixed the massive amount of glitches we have EVERY single day we use the site. 

It's now more expensive to sell with Managed Payments as well, which is the exact opposite of what they told everyone when they rolled it out. 

Stocks are down, sellers are leaving, amount of merchandise sold yearly is down... So the best answer is to raise fees once AGAIN? How about hiring a CEO that actually has a BRAIN! How about the CEO NOT calling people "Low Valued Buyers" if they aren't spending $600 or more per item. How about FIXING THE GLITCHES!

Message 89 of 222
latest reply

King of eBay, what kind of representation do we receive for this additional taxation?

Be careful. You're headed for a tea party.

Message 90 of 222
latest reply