cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: We’re updating to a more accurate way of counting listing page views

We've made some updates to how we display listing page views. We’re also adding more traffic data to listings to help you get clearer insight into how your listings are performing.  You can learn more about that here, feel free to ask any questions below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 4.13.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Question thread: We’re updating to a more accurate way of counting listing page views

As to Bot traffic, I'm a little confused by this Q&A from the FAQ:

"Does this mean I’ve been overcharged for Promoted Listings or selling fees?

"No. Listings’ view counts are never used in the calculation of any fees, including Promoted Listings fees and ad rates."

I understand that listing views don't impact PLStandard and PL Express fees, but PL Advanced is based on CLICKS, and isn't a click required to "view" a listing?

So, wouldn't each click BE a view? 

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

A long time eBay myth tells us that the number of views a listing receives may positively affect placement in search returns.  More views equals higher placement as the rumor goes.

So, if views will only encompass the past 30 days how will that affect search placement going forward? 

Or will page views have no effect on search placement? 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

This is from the Update page:

We want you to have listing traffic data that shows as accurately as possible how many buyers have seen your listings. That’s why, in late April 2022, we’ll be updating how we count and report listing page views.

The current page view numbers on your listings count various types of traffic, including a significant amount of non-human traffic—

Page view counts based on this approach have been available in the Seller Hub Traffic Report and Promoted Listings reports for some time. The changes outlined above will increase the consistency of how page views are counted and displayed across eBay.

1. So, which is it? The bots-filtered report will be available "in late April" or "the bots-filtered reports have been "available for some time"?  Where, besides the Seller Hub Traffic Report and PL reports, does ebay display Traffic reports? 

2. If this has been available "for some time" in PL and and the main Seller Hub Traffic Report, does that explain why so many sellers have been complaining about reduced views "for some time" now? 

3. Does this impact Impressions data as well? Or is that not bot-filtered?

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Also, as to Traffic, this is all very nice, but many of us have been requesting---for years---that ebay provide the old granularity we were given years ago , indicating the detailed SOURCE of traffic: Google, Facebook, Store Home Page, etc. Are there any PLANS to provide this? Or is ebay going to continue to ignore our plea?

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Also, as to Traffic, this is all very nice, but many of us have been requesting---for years---that ebay provide the old granularity we were given years ago , indicating the detailed SOURCE of traffic: Google, Facebook, Store Home Page, etc. Are there any PLANS to provide this? Or is ebay going to continue to ignore our plea?

Would also like to see keyword data and search filters buyers used within eBay to find my items.

If I had access to which keywords and IS filters buyers used to search for my items, I could use shorter- more concise listing titles.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@coffeebean832  I want to second what coffebean said---that would be a big help.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Would also like to see keyword data and search filters buyers used within eBay to find my items.

If I had access to which keywords and IS filters buyers used to search for my items, I could use shorter- more concise listing titles.

We'll get this feedback passed on @coffeebean832. Thanks!

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

This is from the Update page:

We want you to have listing traffic data that shows as accurately as possible how many buyers have seen your listings. That’s why, in late April 2022, we’ll be updating how we count and report listing page views.

The current page view numbers on your listings count various types of traffic, including a significant amount of non-human traffic—

Page view counts based on this approach have been available in the Seller Hub Traffic Report and Promoted Listings reports for some time. The changes outlined above will increase the consistency of how page views are counted and displayed across eBay.

1. So, which is it? The bots-filtered report will be available "in late April" or "the bots-filtered reports have been "available for some time"?  Where, besides the Seller Hub Traffic Report and PL reports, does ebay display Traffic reports? 

2. If this has been available "for some time" in PL and and the main Seller Hub Traffic Report, does that explain why so many sellers have been complaining about reduced views "for some time" now? 

3. Does this impact Impressions data as well? Or is that not bot-filtered?

Impressions aren't impacted @my-cottage-books-and-antiques and the new reporting will start coming through in late April in most places that you can see page views (eg - active listings, unsold listings, seller-facing item page).

The Promoted Listings reports and the Traffic report in the Seller Hub performance tab are the only areas where this new way of reporting page views have already been implemented. They're also not tied to the complaints you referenced in your post.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

A long time eBay myth tells us that the number of views a listing receives may positively affect placement in search returns.  More views equals higher placement as the rumor goes.

So, if views will only encompass the past 30 days how will that affect search placement going forward? 

Or will page views have no effect on search placement? 

There is no effect on search placement @b86fiero, as that algorithm hasn't changed. Everyone's views will now be shown 30 days.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

seller_update@ebay  "They're also not tied to the complaints you referenced in your post."

So, if sellers have noticed a recent decline in their views in traffic, it is NOT because ebay removed the bot views, but because fewer people are clicking through to their listings, is that correct? Just want to make sure I understand. Can you tell us just when the bots were filtered out of the Seller Hub Traffic Reports and PL reports?

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

seller_update@ebay  "They're also not tied to the complaints you referenced in your post."

So, if sellers have noticed a recent decline in their views in traffic, it is NOT because ebay removed the bot views, but because fewer people are clicking through to their listings, is that correct? Just want to make sure I understand. Can you tell us just when the bots were filtered out of the Seller Hub Traffic Reports and PL reports?

We can't get into specifics as to what individual members were experiencing @my-cottage-books-and-antiques, but we can verify that when those reports were launched, they were already on the new system for counting page views. 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

As to Bot traffic, I'm a little confused by this Q&A from the FAQ:

"Does this mean I’ve been overcharged for Promoted Listings or selling fees?

"No. Listings’ view counts are never used in the calculation of any fees, including Promoted Listings fees and ad rates."

I understand that listing views don't impact PLStandard and PL Express fees, but PL Advanced is based on CLICKS, and isn't a click required to "view" a listing?

So, wouldn't each click BE a view? 

We want to make sure we get you a detailed reply @my-cottage-books-and-antiques. If you don't hear back from us today then we will work with the Community team to get you an answer as soon as possible. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Regarding "lifetime views" limited to 30 days.  I assume you are talking about the "views" column in seller hub? 

I find the lifetime views to be very helpful and am not happy that I now have to go run a separate non-integrated report to find a longer views time line on each listing.  Seeing the lifetime views helps me make pricing and discount decisions directly in seller hub active listings page.  I have many long tail one of a kind items and need to see the long term trend easily. On seller hub I can make direct inline updates to prices and other fields when I am seeing all the information together in 1 place.

Please consider including (that is to say, not eliminating) lifetime views as a column in seller hub along with showing the new "last 30 day views".   The information is available in the system, but now I have to use multiple sources for the information I need on the page I use to make adjustments. This is not efficient and only helps those who need only the 30 day views.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I agree wholeheartedly! I love seeing my total lifetime views on items that are not "trendy" - we sell collectibles and toys and antiques - not sneakers. We also sell Holiday items year round, but  now, I will have to pull a report every MONTH to see what my view counts are as every listing is counting to my store count. 30 day doesn't help on any Seasonal items (until the season comes).

Once again, ebay seems to forget who started this all for them to be where they are today. Lifetime views could have EASILY stayed as a selectible column to see who uses it before eliminating it completely.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply