cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay International Shipping

eBay International Shipping is a new shipping service that removes many of the challenges and complexities associated with international shipping for US sellers. You’ll save on international shipping costs and selling fees. We’ll handle customs clearance, tracking, and post-transaction requests—at no extra cost to you. You can learn more about that here, feel free to review and post any questions you may have below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between today the 28th through Friday the 30th.

Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Re: eBay International Shipping

A lot of sellers don't/didn't understand that from the posts on the selling board at the time of the requirements.

@dhbookds 

That is likely because this new "shipping" program was not yet announced.  Sellers were told here that they had to register to ship to Germany if they used the GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM or shipped directly by eBay staff on the seller board.  I believe it was also inferred that eBay would not allow sales to Germany for those sellers who did not register.  

In light of this new information, I wonder how that is going to work out for a seller who did not register and pay the required license fees, yet will ship to Germany using the new shipping program.  Would their sales be blocked? or has an alternate plan been worked out by eBay for this circumstance?  

Since there are possible fines involved for non-compliance with these new international requirements I also often wondered about German buyers who may use a private freight forwarder that allows them to purchase from sellers who elected not to ship to Germany, or ship internationally at all.   Are they required to cancel those sales?  Will the freight forwarder be responsible for Lucid requirements? or will the parcels NOT be forwarded? 

Message 61 of 92
latest reply

Yeah, I noticed how they buried the lead there. We've updated our shipping profiles -- we're out of the international shipping business as of today. Noticed two things immediately while updating our shipping profiles that should help others, too. (1) It's now possible to sort your active listings by "Global Shipping Program Enabled," which will be very helpful to those wanting to get out of it. (2) When you create a new shipping profile, the template has Global Shipping Program enabled by default, so you have to be careful to disable it when you're creating new profiles. This new change seems like a great way to make money for a company's investors via interest on funds held back from hardworking sellers like us. I guess we're just a bunch of chumps to eBay. Love working for the 'man.

Great job, eBay. 

Message 62 of 92
latest reply

That's a bunch of bull crap. It's NOT normal for there to be holds on domestic orders. Follow the link and read the situations in which holds are placed on domestic orders -- these situations will never come up for the vast majority of sellers with a few years history and a good record. The new global shipping policy clearly states that every seller using it will have their funds held until the buyer receives AND APPROVES of the item. That could take weeks! Ebay states the new policy will make international shipping "easier" for sellers. Pure **bleep**. It exposes sellers to enormous risk, while relieving eBay of risks and creating a new source of income for its investors -- the interest on our earnings that will be held by the Bank of Ebay until they see fit to release them, IF they decide to release them, which will not only be dependent on whether packages sent by eBay make it to their destination, and then whether the buyer is happy with the product. To say that this change is COMPLETELY NORMAL is an absolute lie.

Message 63 of 92
latest reply

Replaced.

Message 64 of 92
latest reply

That's not true. Read the new policy. It states that funds for every international order will be withheld from sellers until item is received AND approved by the buyer. It's NOTHING like holds that are almost never placed on domestic orders.

Message 65 of 92
latest reply

It says we will get paid after the buyer receives the item and is happy with it?? What?? 😮😮

Message 66 of 92
latest reply

@ittybitnot 

Griff gave out the info I referred only a few wks after the Announcement about Germany....so I doubt it was predicated on the "new International shipping program".......Fact is.......he knew about it.....broadcasted it to whatever sellers listen to the podcast.....but nothing was ever mentioned again about in a further general announcement.  (and still hasn't been).........  Another case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing within Ebay?  And no one competent enough to realize sellers needed to be told.

Message 67 of 92
latest reply

This terribly sucks!!

Message 68 of 92
latest reply

I hope it works this way!

Message 69 of 92
latest reply

What about if you don’t accept returns? (Yes of course except for INAD)

Message 70 of 92
latest reply

What state will we be shipping items to? The current gsp in Kentucky results in some really cheap domestic shipping. A box that costs $35 to ship to the coasts, cost like $15 to ship to K.y. Having to ship to Calif, NY, Florida etc will really bump up the domestic costs of shipping.

Message 71 of 92
latest reply

>>it will be a hub exclusive to eBay located in Chicago area.

Sweet!!!

I can ship a 40lb box to Chicago for like $15. I'm going to get a ton of sales from this as my international rates will be dirt cheap.

Message 72 of 92
latest reply

Exactly. This new program is actually WAY worse than the current international shipping scenarios. At least now you get the funds reasonably close in time to when you incur the expenses (shipping, insurance, fees). Under the new program you may wait weeks or even months to get paid, and that assumes the buyer "approves" the sale.

What if the buyer is unhappy with having to pay VAT or other taxes? There are large numbers of buyers who act surprised when their countries impose and collect taxes upon receipt and they take it out on the seller.

What if the buyer decides they want to "negotiate" a partial refund? This is a common tactic.

What if the buyer just forgets to "approve" the sale? Is there an auto-approval after a certain window of time passes?

Certain country's postal systems don't fully track shipments to the end, thus never actually showing receipt, so presumably then there's no action prompting or forcing the buyer to approve the purchase, even if they already received it. Then what?

At least now, if there's an open-ended scenario (buyer forgets to approve sale, or tracking doesn't show delivery but buyer is unaware since they received the goods and are content) the negative ramifications to the seller are limited because the seller was paid up front. Now, the payment to sellers is fully contingent upon the buyer completing an action upon receipt, which opens the door to numerous problems.

Sellers will be much more vulnerable to the mood/intent of buyers to actually get paid.

As currently proposed, I see this as potentially disastrous to certain sellers, depending on the type of and value of the goods they ship internationally.

Message 73 of 92
latest reply

@aqeeqsouq wrote:

seller_update@ebay 

(eBay International Shipping) service is for US sellers only??!

Hey @aqeeqsouq! Right now this service is only available US sellers.

Message 74 of 92
latest reply

How will my final value fees be calculated?

Your final value fee is based on the final price of the item, shipping charges to the US Shipping Hub, and any other amounts you may charge the buyer. Sales tax, international shipping cost, and import charges are not included. Refer to our standard eBay selling fees for more information.

If I am reading this right, fees are going to be higher for the seller on this new system.  For example shipping to Australia.  I sell a $20 item which weighs less than 8 ounces and charge $17 shipping to Australia.  Fees right now are based on the $20 and not the $17 International shipping charges.  With this new system fees will be based on the $20 plus say $5 to ship to the hub in Chicago.  Shipping to the Chicago hub will be higher for those sellers that are farther away.   So now part of the $17 collected for International shipping will be subject to fees.

Is this correct? 

Message 75 of 92
latest reply