cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video in ebay Listings

A recent article on the ebay for business blog recommended adding videos to ebay listings.

Does embedded video show up on ebay Mobile?

What impact , if any, will the new "active content" prohibitions have on embedded video?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Video in ebay Listings

Anonymous
Not applicable

We will definitely have a way to embed video using streaming services such as YouTube. Stay tuned for more details on that.

We also do support HTML5 video today and we will be sharing tools and resources to help sellers learn how to do things without active content.

-Shan

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Video in ebay Listings

The iPhone and iPad will not show video if it is Flash-based, but there are other types of video that will display on iOS. The YouTube videos are configured to display on all mobile devices and regular systems.  However, the problem has been that YouTube uses an iFrame to present the video and eBay bans iFrames. The solution to that has been to convert from iFrame presentation to Object presentation, so videos have appeared on both mobile devices and desktop computers for quite some time. 

All of that will go away with eBay's Active Content ban next year. 

It is my understanding that eBay will be looking into a way to allow videos in the new scheme, like in a box outside of the listing frame or using some sort of special tags inside the listing description. At this point, I don't think they have a firm idea which.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Video in ebay Listings

Thanks! I was wondering about this myself and will keep my fingers crossed.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Video in ebay Listings

Anonymous
Not applicable

We will definitely have a way to embed video using streaming services such as YouTube. Stay tuned for more details on that.

We also do support HTML5 video today and we will be sharing tools and resources to help sellers learn how to do things without active content.

-Shan

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Video in ebay Listings

I am currently in the process of updating my 2000+ listings, to be up to date, with the last changes, (UPC's & MPN's). All of my listings, have YouTube videos in them currently & after I edit them. 

It takes an insane amount of time for me to edit these listings & if I have to do this all again, next year, I will be extremely dissatisfied. Is there a certain way I should be putting these videos in my listings, NOW, rather than finding out next year (which at this rate, is how long it is going to take me to edit them all), that I have to go back through and edit them all to re configure the video?

Any help is appreciated. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Video in ebay Listings

Just last month I got this link in the ebay newsletter.

http://for-business.ebay.com/why-and-how-adding-video-your-ebay-listings

I was so excited to add videos with youtube.

I thought this is exactly what ebay needs to be to compete in todays evolving marketplace.

I learned how to do with their guide and started adding videos to my coin listings.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words and a second of video has to be worth 30 pictures.

Thus added videos is worth a 30 thousand words.

People constantly ask me for more pictures and different angles.

This seemed to be the perfect answer.

So I started added videos thinking I could help ebay join the rest of the worlds future.

I used all the techniques from there how to article.

Next year it sounds like video will be banned.

What will happen to my listings with videos.

WIll the videos be removed?

Will my listings be removed?

Will my account be banned for having banned content?

This is serious.

I was in the process of spending thousands of hours to make my ebay store stand out and be a standard for future users.

Here is a prototype of one of my current listings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-S-Lincoln-Shield-Cent-PCGS-PR-69-RD-DCAM-80445546-Video-/152035276584?h...

The video is bad but I was about to order supplys to be able to streamline things to make professionial ones.

Do my videos go against any current rules?

Shoud I stop?

I assume they are fine because they sent a how to email guide to my ebay inbox and I followed to the letter.

What will happen?

WIll I have to reformat them to another video format.

I have over 2500 listings in my anchor store.

I was going to update them all.

Your sellers need clear answers to be able to help make ebay better than the rest.

Please work with us so we can make you great.

Why send a how to guide and then in less than 2 weeks say it will be banned.

If my videos will still be okay after the ban please let me know.

It will be a huge waste of time and money to have to redue them.

It's like making a commerical motion picture and the government regulating video formats to only use a new format that does not exist yet and having to refilm the whole thing.

Just imagine having to recode ebay.com from scratch.

That is what you are asking people to do here maybe.

If I misread anything and am confused please help me understand.

I want to ebay to be as successful as possible.

Please and Thanks Michael

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Video in ebay Listings

@timetravelerscoinexchange

I would suggest not revising any more listings to add videos until eBay settles on their new method for adding (or migrating) videos. But go ahead and add videos to new listings because the videos really do help your listings. I think eBay expects to have a migration plan within a few months, and at that time, they'll let us know how to deal with existing videos.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Video in ebay Listings

I tried adding a video to one of my listings yesterday and the result is only a blank black box in the listing from my PC. The video is not visible on my Android phone. I had some friends look from their devices and my video was not visible to other PC and Android users. But, Iphone users were able to see my video easily.

Any ideas?

Doug

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Video in ebay Listings

If I produce a video for my Opal's & Gemstones will it be able to transfer to my listing's with next years changes.

Or should I wait and find out what will work so I do not have to produce them all again?

thank you  Sean

Message 9 of 9
latest reply