cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May 1st Return Policy Change

This question is sort of a holdover from the 2015 Fall Seller Release, but this change goes into effect May 1st, so I think it remains relevant.

On May 1st, in order to qualify for TRS Plus, listings in most categories will be required to include 30 day return policies rather than 14 day return policies. 

However, ebay has stated that SOME categories will be permitted to retain 14 day return policies. Since last September, I've been making the same request: please identify those categories.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

This question is sort of a holdover from the 2015 Fall Seller Release, but this change goes into effect May 1st, so I think it remains relevant.

On May 1st, in order to qualify for TRS Plus, listings in most categories will be required to include 30 day return policies rather than 14 day return policies. 

However, ebay has stated that SOME categories will be permitted to retain 14 day return policies. Since last September, I've been making the same request: please identify those categories.

@my-cottage-books-and-antiquesThe following categories are exempt from the new requirements.

4-5-2016 8-24-51 AM.jpg

Griff

eBay For Business Podcast
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Griff, Thanks. Just to be clear...these categories are completely exampt? There is NO requirement that they have even a 14 day return policy, correct?

Are there ANY categories that will require a 14 day return policy rather than a 30 day return policy? 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Is there a way that I can make a change in my profile to cause all of my 900+ listings to switch from a 14 day return policy to a 30 day return policy?

While I think this is a lousy policy change, I really don't have any choice but to go along with it in order to stay price competitive.  Can I make one change on April 30th that will change my return policy to 30 days on all of my listings except bullion?

Thanks.

O.K.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@okranchlandandcattlecompany wrote:

Is there a way that I can make a change in my profile to cause all of my 900+ listings to switch from a 14 day return policy to a 30 day return policy?

While I think this is a lousy policy change, I really don't have any choice but to go along with it in order to stay price competitive.  Can I make one change on April 30th that will change my return policy to 30 days on all of my listings except bullion?

Thanks.

O.K.

@okranchlandandcattlecompanyo You can use the Bulk Edit option to make these changes. In the My eBay > Selling > Active view (or for those opted into the new Seller Hub, the Listings > Active view) check the boxes next to the listings you want to edit in bulk (Check  the top box to select all the listings on that page.) Then click the Edit button. Follow the instructions from there.

4-5-2016 9-42-11 AM.jpg

4-5-2016 9-43-47 AM.jpg

4-5-2016 9-44-02 AM.jpg

4-5-2016 9-44-39 AM.jpg

Griff

eBay For Business Podcast
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I simply changed my Return option in Business Policies to 30 days. It took several days for all of my listings to change. I have several Return

policies in place, including No Returns on books.

@okranchlandandcattlecompany wrote:

Thanks.

O.K.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

With this policy, it seems that eBay is STILL intent to march small sellers off the RETURNS cliff, regardless of how real life works.

Come one, come all - buy an item from an eBay seller, use it for 30 days then return it via buyers remorse, its not REALLY "sky blue colored", or the wedding is over so its no longer needed, oops it MAGICALLY broke so its SNAD and the many others that exist.

Yes eBay go ahead, punish the good hard working sellers with a loss of TRSP because the manufacturer(s) they represent (the ones who live in the REAL world vs the eBay world) have NO RETURNS policies. Its "surely fair" to make smaller sellers "eat losses" as a PRIVILEGE to sell on eBay and its a fitting punishment to decide for them whats right and whats wrong (when the case is TRULY not a SNAD). Thats the thanks eBay gives to sellers who wont bend to their made up rules.

Its a shame that eBay has become so punitive, so vindictive, and so cruel ... yes ... the new CEO really trying to reach out to sellers ... just not in a good way.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Perfectly said!!!!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Me agrees, as a 15 year veteran, I wonder what Sir Pierre thinks now????

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

agree wholeheartedly and am sad to see ebay demanding so much of it's 'independent sellers' sort of reminds me of some of the government regulations that drove my once successful  golf business out of business. If congress can enact a federal tax on internet sales, that very well could damage this platform. I can hardly wait for the next rate increase and especially to see how it is disguised. I really enjoyed ebay when I first started selling(2008)but the many new restrictions, policy changes, rate increases(especially the 9% on shipping charges)have dampened my enthusiasm and I don't know how much longer I can hang on. I sell a lot of items for other people and can imagine handing someone $500 and three  weeks later the item is returned to me by the buyer leaving me holding the bag so to speak. I am not sure but it certainly seems to me that these updates are designed to increase revenue(this one by attrition from the TRSP by sellers like me to sell for others and do not want to get caught holding the returned items) While I certainly appreciate the EBAY platform I believe the corporation's policies are not beneficial to it's sellers. Just as an example, why couldn't ebay offer MORE of a discount to seller's who offer 30 day return policies rather than threatening higher rates to those who stick with the 14 day returns. Sounds like a more seller-friendly idea to me but then again I am only a lowly seller on this platform and like those republican voters in colorado, I don't get a vote...........................thanks for listening

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I did the bulk edit a few days ago.....question why was I charged $18.00 in fees. #$%@#$

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I agree totally.!!!!!!!!There is no way someone needs 30 days to decide if they want an item or not! Unless, of course, they use it , and then return it.  Not to mention for us sellers, a lot of the stores we purchase items from has a 30 day return policy, so we cannot possibly offer a 30 day return policy for these items. I just feel like us sellers are always getting screwed!!!

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

This comment you left (see below all) is still getting views, and I'm glad.  I guess eBay isn't aware that there is at least one online venue that has opened and is doing quite well to give them a run for their money now; and, I'm not talking the big A place, which eBay thinks they can (and therefore we need to) compete with.  Unbelievably, if you do a search for something, their venue and items actually *GASP* show up in the rankings too!  eBay has shot themselves in the foot so many times before, you'd have thought they would have learned from past mistakes at least ONCE. 

eBay -- without SELLERS you have no BUYERS.  Without SELLERS you do not get to charge fees for stores, listings, upgrades and the large cut off of their sales of THEIR products, not yours.  Oh, and you'll find you also don't have BUYERS to be returning anything because there will be no one SELLING.  Wait.  Maybe China.  However, we also all know there's yet another site for strictly Asian goods, and I'm not talking eBay. 

Now, I came in to complain about the push to have products not only ship for free (which, hey why not because you're also charging us sellers a cut on shipping now which is absurd), but also always ship within 1 business day maximum.  Do you know how preposterous this is?  I personally physically cannot do it.  You're going to be surprised here, but a ton of sellers on eBay have physical limitations which makes them work from home.  So, not only am I not going to change my handling time, I'm not going to offer returns on my cosmetics because that's utterly disgusting.   QUIT TRYING TO THREATEN ME WITH YOUR TOP SELLER 'BENEFIT' REMOVALS.  You're not going to "require" me to do squat on this.  So I don't get the discount -- you know how quickly that discount benefit will stop being appealing enough, once the seller has a couple of customers return goods for no reason whatsoever OR you decide to punish the seller for not being able to adapt to your stringent bs?!  It's. Not. WORTH. It.

So eBay.  Every time I log on, would you QUIT putting glaring words in front of me about how I need to update my listings?  I wasn't getting enough views before you instituted all this... so you're threatening that it will be even worse?  Ouch.

@theheadphonecompany wrote:

With this policy, it seems that eBay is STILL intent to march small sellers off the RETURNS cliff, regardless of how real life works.

Come one, come all - buy an item from an eBay seller, use it for 30 days then return it via buyers remorse, its not REALLY "sky blue colored", or the wedding is over so its no longer needed, oops it MAGICALLY broke so its SNAD and the many others that exist.

Yes eBay go ahead, punish the good hard working sellers with a loss of TRSP because the manufacturer(s) they represent (the ones who live in the REAL world vs the eBay world) have NO RETURNS policies. Its "surely fair" to make smaller sellers "eat losses" as a PRIVILEGE to sell on eBay and its a fitting punishment to decide for them whats right and whats wrong (when the case is TRULY not a SNAD). Thats the thanks eBay gives to sellers who wont bend to their made up rules.

Its a shame that eBay has become so punitive, so vindictive, and so cruel ... yes ... the new CEO really trying to reach out to sellers ... just not in a good way.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply