cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

To all the newcomers having this same question this answer is FOR YOU:
Plain common sense & ettiquette dictates that the seller should leave feed back first.
As a buyer I chose to spend my money with YOU (not the other way round) You are expected in turn to say "Thank you!"
 It's called decency.
I have had the pleasure of doing business with folks from all around the USA and from each state I have high regards for most of them bc they follow this plain and simple life ethic. Best wishes to you all! 🙂

@wlkngdshbg wrote:
Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they **bleep** well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks

Message 346 of 425
latest reply

Obviously, the buyer has to pay, but there is a difference in paying as soon as the bid is won and dragging your feet for 3 days, there should be acknowledgement for buyer for immediate payment, that was the first part of the agreed upon transaction that was fulfilled.
Message 347 of 425
latest reply

One thing I have noticed is that when I leave feedback 1st, I have received returns for items not as listed, am leaving myself opened for blackmail, only a small amount of buyers do that, but that sure does hurt, therefore I leave no feedback until I receive one, anyways I think the feedback system sucks, to many non payers and abusers of the system.

Message 348 of 425
latest reply

As a biased seller on Ebay - I say without a doubt you are a one hundred percent wrong.  A transaction on Ebay is not complete when payment is made.  That is just the beginning of the transaction.  Feedback is based upon the entire transaction experience.  Suppose the seller ships the item just as described and exactly as pictured. Upon receipt the buyer makes unreasonable demands - saying for example the item is not what he wanted even though exactly as described and pictured.  Then the Seller has already left feedback and has no recourse.  As a seller - I wait until the transaction is complete and immediately respond to buyer feedback personally.  It is only fair.

Message 349 of 425
latest reply

I ain't never been right, but it's certainly bad form to try and instrumentalize feedback over a buyer's head in order to solicit feedback first. Any knowledgeable buyer knows that sellers have no actual power over feedback and, in my view, it reeks of sellers who lack confidence to stand behind their own reputation despite whatever an unreasonable buyer might end up doing. What specific recourse do sellers really think they possess by not being forthright with feedback? An unreasonable buyer is precisely that: unreasonable. And such buyers aren't held back by the thought of not receiving feedback.

As an occasional buyer myself, sending a regular message to the seller stating an item was received in good order accomplishes the requirement to complete the transaction. Engaging in feedback is subsequently up to the seller to initiate or not as they prefer.

Message 350 of 425
latest reply

Sellers that don't leave feedback first lose my business. If I purchase an item at a store, the store employee/owner should say "thank you" shouldn't they? Maybe they should wait for the person spending their money to say something first, meanwhile they should just stair down the buyer and give him or her dirty looks. Is that how it should be? Seller says thank you first after payment. That's how decent people do business. Nobody has expectations of a seller being 100% perfect. A bad comment here and there is expected. Buyers see through this. Do sellers care if I send feedback first or at all if I spend my money at your business? Maybe I'm lazy, but I spend my money with you, isn't that more important than your ego?

Message 351 of 425
latest reply

If the seller leaves feedback first, im more likly to leave positive feedback even if there is a slight mistake after it is taken care of. If they dont then after 4 weeks I leave neutral feedback stating seller is someone that dont leave feedback unless you do. That way future buyers know.

Message 352 of 425
latest reply

I wouldn't push my luck that far, you could lose your buyer's protection if you make it a habit

Message 353 of 425
latest reply

I commonly buy a seasonal item, such as a fishing rod or reel, motorcycle, bicycle parts that I cannot determine if they are as described. If the seller has left me feedback, I will leave positive feedback even not knowing if what I bought is good or not. If I haven't recieved feedback, I won't leave any. If a seller solicits feedback from me before leaving me feedback, I will ignore their request. My bottom line, if I paid promptly, seller needs to leave feedback.

Message 354 of 425
latest reply

Feedback should not be left for either party until the tranaction is complete. How to determine that? Easy (common sense)....

BUYER: The buyers transaction is COMPLETE when they have received the item "as listed" and are SATISFIED with their purchase. At this time there is nothing more for the buyer to wait for the seller to do, so leave the feedback.

SELLER: The sellers transaction is COMPLETE when they know the buyer is SATISFIED, and the buyers feedback is THAT notification. At this time the seller leaves feedback.

*BUYER LEAVES FEEDBACK FIRST*

*I am a buyer and seller

Also, following this method...

If the buyer never leaves feedback, the seller should do the same.

If the seller NEVER leaves feedback after the buyer has, use your power as a customer and NEVER do business with them again!

Message 355 of 425
latest reply

You're funny !  The buyer doesn't have to do anything except pay. Seller wants good feedback, then leave me one.  If they're too lazy to leave feedback, I'm certainly not going to praise them for selling me something. 

Message 356 of 425
latest reply

You said it. And without any absurd CAPITALs to boot. At the core, buyers have no reliable idea if sellers want to participate in feedback short of receiving it first. It is reflexively ignored by self-serving sellers that buyers can also notify receipt of goods and satisfaction using a simple follow-up eBay message. Yet despite employing this courtesy myself on numerous occasions, some sellers still don't wish to deploy feedback. When sellers take the initiative to post first buyers are provided the option of communicating satisfaction and returning feedback at the same time.

It is very telling that an automotive tire seller with almost 300K positive feedback score immediately posted feedback after I made a recent purchase. Seems like resounding evidence that the road to higher feedback is for sellers to take the initiative.
Message 357 of 425
latest reply

You are grosely mistaken.

A Wise seller will wait to see if the buyer indeed is "Recommended" after they receive the item and they don't start abusing, insulting, threatening, swearing, and/or acting crazy and nasty just because there is a small issue.

We serve 136 countries and have flawless reputation, however, just because a buyer pays immediately, doesn't mean they are a good buyer. Moreover, we have our ads set to "Immediate Payment Required" so they have to pay immediately.

What makes a good buyer, is there ability and desire to work KINDLY and RESPECTFULLY with the seller if there is any issue.

For example, is a buyer received a defective or damaged item and they threaten and abuse, we would not have written; " Great Buyer highly recommended!

Your message here is conniving and vindictive, and self-righteous, talking about reporting the seller if they don't leave feedback right away, and holding them "hostage"  with the feedback.

I advise all Ebay buyers to be respectful and kind to the seller when buying anything, and if there is an issue, politely let the seller know so they can work with you for resolve.

God bless.

Message 358 of 425
latest reply

EXACTLY!

Message 359 of 425
latest reply

Feedback is NOT a "Reward for paying promptly"! Feedback is an evaluation of a sale transaction, and whether a seller recommends the buyer to other sellers.

We as sellers can NOT know if the buyer is "good buyer" and recommend them until we see how they act after receiving an item with an issue! 

Please search somewhere else for rewards that matter, like helping someone in need, or doing good deeds. It is rewarding in your heart. It's wise counsel!

Message 360 of 425
latest reply