cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

That is perfectly reasonable. Just don't be surprised when you don't receive feedback or if one day you receive negative feedback. I know that if I receive a damaged item that I will sometimes give the seller the benefit of the doubt and leave positive feedback anyway. If the seller didn't leave me feedback (at all) after paying within seconds of the auction ending...Well, then I take even the smallest amount of damage very seriously and will leave negative feedback. A seller will be getting negative feedback from me for the first time because their item came damaged AND they didn't leave positive feedback. 

FYI no one cares if you have kids. That is only an excuse to people who actually know you in real life. I don't care if you have 300 hungry children. That was your choice and is completely irrelevant. 

Message 421 of 425
latest reply

I see this Thread is over 10 yrs old but this has been bugging me recently.  I totally agree with you, and I'll even take it one step further. Many times I will leave positive feedback for a seller first, yet never receive any feedback from that seller in return.

I'm sick of reading all the comments from people saying, "Oh, who cares?! Feedback as a buyer is meaningless. It doesn't matter!" Well let me tell You something , it does matter! It matters because it's about having some common courtesy, something more and more people seem to lack. If someone goes to the trouble to thank you and leave you positive feedback, it would be a nice gesture to do the same. 

I always leave positive feedback for someone who has left me positive feedback already, no matter what. Because I believe in mutual respect and courtesy.  I only buy on Ebay, and I used to leave positive feedback for sellers everytime. Not once have I left a negative. But now it has gotten to the point that I will leave positive feedback for a seller even before they leave it for me, and 2 months later, never receive any feedback from them. Shameful! So now I have become reluctant to leave that feedback first. 

I do not message the seller, I simply remember and never do business with that person ever again. I take my business elsewhere and buy from someone else. Since unfortunately we cannot take feedback, back, I will sometimes amend my comment to reflect that person's lack of courtesy. 

Message 422 of 425
latest reply

So this is a very interesting Outlook , and you can take it and reverse it. You may be a great buyer and you may be out not to rip people off but there are many scammers on eBay both sellers and buyers. When you are a new seller you are especially targeted by the scammers if the seller leaves the buyer an immediate positive feedback, if they are being scammed or the buyer  has regret on what they have purchased, that very likely will result in them not being able to win a case even if the seller is not at fault. So honestly it goes both ways! I miss the old days where both buyer and seller could rate one another  I understand from a business Viewpoint why eBay got rid of it  because it was just a back and forth back and forth and that is not the kind of business model eBay wanted or would help grow their business .  But the truth is you could really see if there was a bad buyer or a bad seller because it would just be so many repetitive negative and comments that you could tell . Also you could leave longer messages which was.... okay a little ridiculous some people would write a whole page! LOL Thank you have a great day

Message 423 of 425
latest reply

Just done that very thing today...totally sick of discourteous, ignorant arseholes. 

Message 424 of 425
latest reply

A seller would of course wait to give feedback. As a new seller I learned the hard way why not to give feedback right away.  An "immediate PayPal payment" is the only option for a purchase isn't it?A good buyer gives feedback letting the seller know they are good with the purchase and keeping it.  A bad buyer is one that gets their package and not happy with it or a fraudulent buyer and will make up some extravagant lie to return or get their money back. Simply asking the seller if they may return it for a refund is also a good, communicative buyer.

If a buyer would like to recieve feedback quickly then they are correct to give the seller feedback first.

FYI, The time limit to give feedback goes to quickly. May be to late for seller to leave feedback that it went smoothly if buyer takes advice to play games.

Where do you find the time?

Message 425 of 425
latest reply