cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

It makes far more sense to have the seller leave feedback after they have confirmation that the buyer has recieved the product and is happy with it. What keeps the buyer from pulling any number of scams after the seller has shipped them the product? The Ebay system as a whole puts FAR more power in the buyer's hands than the seller. Tradiotionally, I will always be happy to leave feedback for a buyer the moment I have confirmation from him that he is happy with the product. So many buyers barely communicate with the seller at all, much less to let them know they are happy with the product they recieved. In my short time selling, the lack of communication from buyer's has been overwhelming and akin to pulling teeth.

The moment I see via the tracking that a product has been recieved, I send a thank you message to the buyer stating I hope they are happy with the product and instruct them to leave positive feedback about the transaction informing them I will do the same as well. Until I hear back from the buyer they are happy, or recieve positive feedback related to the purchase, I don't leave any feedback. How am I supposed to know if the buyer is happy otherwise? How am I supposed to know said buyer isn't going to turn around and file a claim or something?? At the end of the day, feedback is FAR more important for a seller anyway.

Message 331 of 425
latest reply

THANK YOU for that brilliant explanation of your POV as a buyer. You are so right! I have been autoatically leaving nice feedback for every buyer upon payment, but I'm not going to anymore. Half of all my buyers don't bother leaving any feedback. I double box a lot of my items (ceramics) and I hear NOTHING back. I'd be happy with an email, if not feedback. But NOTHING. I write polite notes thanking them for their purchase, I send nice notes on their packing slips, and still NOTHING. Very rude. 

Now, as a buyer, I've noticed sellers not leaving feedback until I get the item and leave it myself. Smart! I don't mind at all because I ALWAYS leave feedback upon receipt of my item. I will be doing the same from now on. 

"Congratulations for paying for your groceries!" Hahahaha! Perfect. 🙂

Message 332 of 425
latest reply

Has it been working? Sounds like a new way of doing it better.
Message 333 of 425
latest reply

So, your saying ...If a big corporation does not have a prestine reputation then why should we, the lttle guys? Really! So if the bigger more expensive house down the street doesn't pickup their trash, why should you.  Striving for mediocrity is exactly what is wrong with today's society.

Message 334 of 425
latest reply

Feedback should reflect the entire transaction, not one stage of it.  Since the buyer has the final say as to whether the item arrived as described and in good condition, it is the buyer who should leave feedback first, to indicate his acceptance.  Until the buyer has indicated acceptance, he can decide that he doesn't want it, and credibly* claim that the item was damaged or not as described in order to avoid paying return shipping and any restocking fee.  (* Leaving positive feedback effectively closes off this option.)

But if the seller didn't wait for this final acceptance, and already left feedback based merely on prompt payment, he has increased the feedback score of a buyer who abuses the system, and cannot take it back.

As a seller, I leave feedback as soon as I see that a buyer has left feedback.  Until then, I'm basically waiting to find out if they will decide to keep the item or return it, and on what terms.

Message 335 of 425
latest reply

I always pay right away via paypal as I am eager to receive whatever I Bought. 

I leave feedback's promptly as soon as I receive items and I inspect it making sure it is what was promised.

Can you expalin to me then why I am still waiting for a seller feedback for an item I bought weeks ago this inspite of me sending him a messege saying "I am leaving him a positive feedback and if he can do the same" this inspite of me having to remind him to ship me the item after it was not shipped 5 days after I had paid for it.

This is not the first time this has happened. Enough.

I agree with what the fella is saying will never leave a feedback unless I receive one from now on. 

Message 336 of 425
latest reply

rickmandick wrote:

......im glad i have 2 actual storefronts, craigslist and amazon to ease the pain of waiting

I too have 2 storefronts;  1 store, a Top Rated Seller on eBay, and the other a Pro Seller Store on Amazon.  

I throw a few items on CL every now and again, but never heard of a Storefront on Craigslist?

Can you send the url to your CL Store?

Message 337 of 425
latest reply

I have been a buyer and a seller on ebay for over 15 years and as a buyer whenever I receive an item as advertised and delivered in a safe manner I instantly leave positive feedback. (sometimes even when its not perfect)

However as a seller I am sometimes dealing with buyers who, for what ever reason, do not leave feedback even when I leave it first.  I try to communicate and create a win/win situation but some buyers experience remorse and than look for reasons to leave negative feedback. eBay should step in at this point but I have read that they do not. As a seller I have contemplated walking away from this. 

More communication and direction from eBay might help. But take note ....this is becoming an increasing negative experience for everyone and eBay should step up and establish honest and FAIR guidlines so people fell free to leave feedback.

Message 338 of 425
latest reply

I believe you are correct in that approach. 

Message 339 of 425
latest reply

Message 340 of 425
latest reply

I've left feedback 12 times to sellers and received nothing. This is why I wait for them now. I was also blocked from buying from a seller for no reason. We had a 10 year relationship with all positive feedback. One day I tried to buy my annual product and I got a message saying I have been blocked. They said that I should be able to buy. Ebay said they blocked me so I could not. Somebody is lying. These two reasons put a bad tast in my mouth about some Ebay sellers. Most are pretty good though.

Message 341 of 425
latest reply

This is my issue also. I've left feedback 12 times to sellers and received nothing. This is why I wait for them now. I was also blocked from buying from a seller for no reason. We had a 10 year relationship with all positive feedback. One day I tried to buy my annual product and I got a message saying I have been blocked. They said that I should be able to buy. Ebay said they blocked me so I could not. Somebody is lying. These two reasons put a bad tast in my mouth about some Ebay sellers. Most are pretty good though.

Message 342 of 425
latest reply

@bjones306 wrote:

"The Ebay system as a whole puts FAR more power in the buyer's hands than the seller." ... Not true. I was blocked for no reason by a seller I had been buying from for ten years. When I contacted them they said its Ebay's fault and did not block me. Ebay said they blocked me and cant do anything about it. I believe Ebay. I believe they seen my posts on here and got mad. I dont know. They then told me to go to their website instead. I told them to **bleep** off.

Message 343 of 425
latest reply

I agree. It is HIGHLY manipulative of sellers to leave feedback ONLY after a prompt buyer has waited for goods to arrive and then leaves feedback. The seller is holding the buyer to "ransom" by his/her behaviour. This is happening more and more frequently and should be addressed by "The Powers That Be" in eBay.

Message 344 of 425
latest reply

I don't agree with you bjones306. The buyers part in the transaction is that you get prompt and full payment. The sellers part is that you deliver the goods as described. By you waiting until a prompt buyer gives you feedback means you are holding the buyer to ransom until he/she gives you the feedback you believe you deserve. You're the seller. You're in business. It is your job to sell products as described. It is the buyers job to pay for purchased goods ASAP. My account is linked to PayPal and payment is immediate. 100% of the time. I ALWAYS leave feedback. If there is an issue then I correspond with the seller until the issue is resolved to the satisfaction of BOTH parties ie the seller and the buyer (me).I am appalled at the increasing number of sellers who either:
- Don't leave feedback at all after my immediate payment.
- Hold me to (psychological) ransom by not leaving feedback until I have done so for them. This is often days/weeks after they have my $'s in their account.
This is really, really unfair IMHO.
Message 345 of 425
latest reply