cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

I guess you never heard of feedback extortion?   One out of 50 use it.

Message 166 of 425
latest reply

As as seller I leave positive feedback as soon as I recieve the payment.  I am not going to hold the buyer's feedback hostage.

As a buyer, I leave feedback after I recieve the item.  If item is as described, I leave positive feedback.  If the item is not as described, I will contact the seller and try to resolve it.  I never leave feedback first as a buyer.  They can hold my feedback hostage I do not care as ebay ratings is not my life. 

Message 167 of 425
latest reply

This is the farthest thing from the truth, a buyers job is not finished, after paying, weither immediately or delayed, after ebay and paypals points (commissions) on shipping charges, if a seller, packs, insures and tracks properly, we are actually im the hole, what about the communication process. If a buyer refuses to communicate with a seller throughout the process,. Immediate payment should be a given, ebay shuts me down if i owe them 30 cents, but allows buyers to pay when they darn well want, w/o communication until end of deal, after all the work and expense i go thru asa seller, i think we deserve to now immed y or y not someone pays immed. Or when they recieve item and that they are satisfied
Message 168 of 425
latest reply

A seller should leave positive feed back immediately upon receiving payment. Selers who wait are either hiding a false description or withholding positive feedback for extortion. Simple as that.
Message 169 of 425
latest reply

I understand the sentiment but it isn't practical.  Things can happen enroute - what if the buyer isn't happy with the purchase, not through any fautl of the seller, but maybe it was damaged in shipment or the buyer experiences remorse over the purchase?

The point is, - there is a lot of contact that could happen in between shipment and final feedback.  It is best to ensure the buyer is  100% satisfied before the transaction is concluded.  Their feedback is the assurance of that satisfaction.  Once all parties are happy and consider the transaction final,  then the seller can leave feedback.  It is the logical last step.  

I do know there are policies about sellers holding the merchandise hostage until the buyer leaves feedback, or sending threatening notes (etc).  But nothing against what YOU suggest - which is holding the seller hostage by withholding the feedback you owe them. 

Message 170 of 425
latest reply

As a buyer, i've gotten to the point that I want to play the same game as the seller. "I'm not going to leave feedback until they do." I know this way no one will leave feed back, but if that is what happens, that is what happens. 

I feel it is just rude for the seller hold back feedback until they receive feed back from the buyer.

The only way the 'seller is the last to leave feedback'  makes any kind of logic at all is that if eBay is full of buyers that whine and complain about the item they purchased for no reason. If that is the case, this really is broken.

Message 171 of 425
latest reply

@buybyjo wrote:
A seller should leave positive feed back immediately upon receiving payment. Selers who wait are either hiding a false description or withholding positive feedback for extortion. Simple as that.

Have to disagree with you on this!

Many sellers wait to make sure that the item is delivered; the item is received in good condition; that the buyer is satisfied with the transaction; and that there are no problems that need to be resolved.

When buyers leave Positive Feedback, it signals to the seller that "All Is Well.  Package Received in good comdition.  No problems need to be resolved"

At this time most sellers will leave Positive Feedback (that is all that they can leave) if they have not already done so.

There are some sellers who, for convenience, set aside some time each month to leave Positive Feedback in large batches.  (Sellers and buyers both have 60 days in which to leave feedback)

There are some sellers who choose not to leave any feedback at all

There are some buyers who choose not to leave any feedback at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for your comment about sellers withholding feedback for extortion ----

That is impossible.

Sellers are only allowed to leave Positive Feedback; or they may choose to leave No Feedback at all.

On the other hand, AFTER PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE, scamming buyers might try to extort extra items; unwarranted shipping discounts; or special handling.  It is only after payment that a buyer might unjustly reverse the payment; file false claims of "Item Not Received" or "Significantly Not As Described".  Should a seller be required to leave Positive Feedback for such a scammer.  The only other choice is for the seller to leave No Feedback at all.

Message 172 of 425
latest reply

Something I forgot to mention -----

Buyers cannot be harmed by Feedback

• Sellers are not allowed to leave Negative Feedback or make Negative Comments.
  • No one (except the buyer) knows if a seller has not left feedback.

Sellers can be harmed by Feedback

• Sellers need to receive "4 star" or "5 star" ratings on all of their DSR's in order to survive or advance to TRS rating.
  • Sellers can be seriously hurt or completely destroyed if buyers leave any feedback that is "less than positive"

Buyers should use Messages to resolve any problems that arise.

Buyers should only Leave Positive Feedback AFTER the item has been received and there are no problems that need to be resolved.

Message 173 of 425
latest reply

Feedback.  As a buyer I give Feedback when I get the item and see that it is O.K., not damaged, works, etc.

As a Seller, I check my tracking, wait for a Buyer to get the item then give them a few days to contact ME if there is anything they are unhappy about BEFORE I leave Feedback.  I don't presume just because they got it o.k., they will be happy.

And not all Buyers want e-mails asking "are you happy with your item?"  I am o.k, with that as a buyer but I saw one Feedback for another buyer that was kind of snarky and read "yes, I got the braceley, I'm wearing it now" or something to that effect.

So, I will usually be curled up with my lap top doing mass Feedbacks up to a week after I see that a buyer has received an item.  I give them at least two days because, sometimes I have gotten busy and not opened a package of, say, nail polish for a day or two. 

Message 174 of 425
latest reply

The problem was unscrupulous sellers who were leaving nasty feedback in retaliation for deserved neutral or negative feedback for poor service or items not received.  For instance, I used to work as a Travel Nurse.  I had a friend on a 6 month contract who was staying at the same (not cheap) extended stay that I was at as we were both working over 1,000 miles from home.

My friend placed an eBay order and the seller sent her a broken item (EdT, broken in envelope, no packing (ill packed), stank to high heaven, runed the rest of her order).  She was a LONG time eBay buyer.  She took photos, politely asked to have that item replaced or refunded and also another item that had been ruined by the leakage.  The seller never even answered her.

My friend sent several e-mails and appealed to eBay.  She got a refund through eBay.  She had not even left feedback for the seller when she looged onto her account and saw this from the seller (Negative Feedback) "Look out for this Motel Dweller who will try to hold you up for free goods" (maybe not verbatim but close).  She started crying, kept crying.  She told me "I am not some homeless person in a weekly pay motel trying to scam someone for free goods.  I am a working nurse trying to get a fair shake."

So, abusive sellers like that are the ones that made it bad for every seller and now sellers cannot leave neutral or negative feedback for buyers.

Message 175 of 425
latest reply

As a seller, I leave feedback once left for me.  Haven't had a comp!laing.

Once feedback is left, I leave mine.

As a buyer, I leave feedback once item is received and I'm happy with it.

It will come to the day feedback just won't be given as people just don't want to.  It is no it mandatory to leave it.  

Message 176 of 425
latest reply

Why most buyers think they should get it for paying fast is beyond me.
It's like saying a seller should get it for posting the item and that's it.
Sellers are gauged on many things from speed of delivery,packaging,item as described,replying to emails in a prompt time and manners.
Some Buyers that think paying fast is all they need to do.
As a seller I've had threatening emails about "where's my feedback? I've paid so you have to give it now you xxxx..!!"
As an example how wrong feedback is I sold a item the other day(I have sold 100's of them). The buyer left negative feedback saying he thought he had been sent the wrong item. He didn't check or email before leaving it. What he thought he had bought he hadn't. When asked to revise the response was oh I can see I was wrong but I can't be bothered to change it.
I can't leave negative feedback. I can only leave positive,which is why I leave feedback when they leave feedback.
Feedback on ebay is a joke when your a seller.
Message 177 of 425
latest reply

To those sellers that feel paying ahead of time for something we never received and state that ...for us as buyers to understand their position or risk and unless we walk in their shoes, that we don't get it and that paying for the item doesn't mean we met our obligation, well if paying ahead of time doesn't.meet our obligation and no feedback should be left off that...then why would you slap a non paying bidder a negative feedback immediately?? Hmm...
Then one more way to prove the buyer has done their part is to ask yourself this...you go eat at fast food place and "pay ahead of time" for food you didn't get yet? Are you entitled to fast, expedient service?? You did your part..there is nothing left for you to do but to wait for the items you paid for.. Would it be fair for the store to say.....well you have paid for a service, yes, but before we give you by our meal, we want to know what kind of feedback your going to give us...or another point is you gontona nice sit down restaurant... They bring you the menu and you select the items you want...what happens next? Does the waiter/waitress bring you you bill and say pay up? Or do they provide the service (standing the chance that you may not like how it was prepared and not wanting to pay for it),and wait until your done ..making sure you like what you got first before asking you to pay?
I would have to guess that if eBay adopted those standards making sellers ship items before being paid for, giving the customer the opportunity to make sure the seller should get a feedback.. Then the seller .. Once the customer is happy and has paid can give a feedback...
Message 178 of 425
latest reply

You seem to comparing eating out with buying online which is like chalk and cheese.

BUT

If you do take you analogy then when someone pays in a fast food or pub where items are paid for upfront, than the moment they pay they are amazing customers (they can do no wrong after that). What about the person who has paid for his drink (therefore an amazing customer) gets drunk, starts abusing the staff, smashes the front widow, has a fight with another customer etc. Is he still an amazing customer becaue he paid for his drink before he drank it? From what you've put he is.

In ebay this happens (ok not this but agressive, rude, dodgy, ignorant etc buyers). And the only thing we as sellers can actually put is "what an amazing buyer,top notch ". Please note I am not saying this about 99% of the buyers but the 1% who don't know what they're doing and usually end up blaming the seller (like my case above).

Message 179 of 425
latest reply

well i am leaveing ebay and not coming back to ebay,i got ripped off by a seller and ebay want help so yal ebay u suck

Message 180 of 425
latest reply