cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Dear brucecox, if feedback is not left, then how on earth would the seller know if the goods arrived or not as most bidders do not even have the manners to send a short message ( via ebay messages so ebay also knows goods arrived safely ) saying that it arrived safely....As bidders in general dont do that, sellers have to keep their files and jam up their email accounts with unecessay folders of bidders that have had their irtems completed...So sellers have to keep it all for 90 days because the bidders have no manners...Get my point??? On top of that, bidders dont want to pay any extra for postage so it has to be sent the cheapest rate possible...Personally i would rather pay a dollar extra and receive undamaged goods that had not got sorted by machine and especially if they were stamps, cards or the like. Have a lovely day

Message 136 of 425
latest reply

How do you know the post office was too rough with the package in transit....I know of many post office workers that throw items from one side of the room to the other and if a person does not catch it properly, they just don't care.....You need to get more evidence before placing a negative on anyone...
Message 137 of 425
latest reply

@oz_in_ohio wrote:

Dear brucecox, if feedback is not left, then how on earth would the seller know if the goods arrived or not

People who don't sell things for $1 (i.e. the vast majority of us, who actually make money here) know when the goods arrive because the tracking # tells us.

I'm betting that the $1 sellers aren't even sharp enough to know that they don't have to pay PayPal 2.9% + 30 cents (if they're even aware they're doing that).

Message 138 of 425
latest reply

Sometimes feedback gets forgotten by us sellers but when we see the buyer has left feedback it reminds us to leave it.  Feedback is still a choice and noone should be pressured into leaving feedback.

Message 139 of 425
latest reply

As a Seller I noticed lately I am not getting any feedback after buyers has recieved the item.  The last 9 items I sold, i have recieved zero feedback.  I dont know whats going on, maybe cause they are expecting me to leave them a feedback first?  In my email with my tracking # that I gave them I nicely ask when they have time and if everthing is fine once the item has arrived please leave me a feedback and then I will do the same.  its this wrong? Ive got burned before leaving feedbacks for buyer but even getting one back 

Message 140 of 425
latest reply

I have been using Ebay since 2005. I've bought quite a few items since first starting out, and I too have noticed sellers eagerness to get positive feedback with 5 star ratings increase as of late while they lag in leaving positive feedback for me. I doesn't bother me too much though as my stats show any seller what kind of Ebayer I am,  I'm really here for the deals and variety of products I can find in one place. If a seller can't take the time to leave positive feedback after a smooth an efficient transaction on my part.... I keep that in mind when buying my next item and will use a different seller.  Their loss.

Message 141 of 425
latest reply

@dazz_887 wrote:

As a Seller I noticed lately I am not getting any feedback after buyers has recieved the item.  The last 9 items I sold, i have recieved zero feedback.  I dont know whats going on, maybe cause they are expecting me to leave them a feedback first?  In my email with my tracking # that I gave them I nicely ask when they have time and if everthing is fine once the item has arrived please leave me a feedback and then I will do the same.  its this wrong? Ive got burned before leaving feedbacks for buyer but even getting one back 

You've gotten zero, but you've only given out one. Maybe your buyers are wondering the same thing you're wondering. There are no rules, there is no "protocol", and they probably don't even read your email. You can go first, last, or never.

How does a seller get "burned" by leaving feedback first? What is a buyer able to do after you leave feedback that they couldn't also do before you leave it?

Message 142 of 425
latest reply

This is not hard.

The seller receives money.
Seller leaves feedback.
Buyer should receive item
Buyer tries to communicate if needed until resolution.
Buyer leave feedback.

I have sold and bought on ebay and although I prefer feedback, I try not to bother the other person about it. I still leave feedback accordingly.

The seller should not wait on the buyer for feedback. You received your money and/or communicated to resolution. You should leave feedback before buyer even gets their item. If buyer receives bad product and leaves bad feedback, seller should not in turn leave bad feedback for no reason other than to retaliate. That is such a scumbag thing to do.

If a seller leaves feedback and the buyer doesn't leave any feedback, maybe one email would be fine, but if buyer still doesn't leave any feedback at all, then just move on. Waiting to leave feedback when the buyer does is backwards and petty.

Message 143 of 425
latest reply

With the buyer not leaving feedback, that can show the seller it has not been received.....Then sellers are worried and really concerned. Why should we move on from there when sellers are concerned that there was no feedback left from the buyer indication the item was received safe and sound.....You stated that the seller would retalliate by leaving bad feedback...That clearly shows me you do not know ebay laws and it is difficult to believe you have been a member since 2009. On top of that i dont know if you are aware ( probably not ) that sellers cannot retalliate with bad feedback as they are forced to only leave positive which means they can say as they wish but the mark will be green.......... Have a most wonderful and lovely day....OIO

Message 144 of 425
latest reply

@newrisinsun09 wrote:

The seller should not wait on the buyer for feedback. You received your money and/or communicated to resolution. You should leave feedback before buyer even gets their item. If buyer receives bad product and leaves bad feedback, seller should not in turn leave bad feedback for no reason other than to retaliate. That is such a scumbag thing to do.

If a seller leaves feedback and the buyer doesn't leave any feedback, maybe one email would be fine, but if buyer still doesn't leave any feedback at all, then just move on. Waiting to leave feedback when the buyer does is backwards and petty.

Not doing something that's VOLUNTARY is "Backwards and petty"? You advise the seller to just "move on" if the buyer doesn't leave feedback; why not the same advice for the buyer if the seller doesn't leave it?

And you seem to be completely unaware that sellers can't leave negative feedback. Maybe it would be best to learn how the site works before giving out advice to others. Your vast experience isn't impressing anyone.

Message 145 of 425
latest reply

As a buyer, I feel your pain...however, feedback that is not left for a buyer doesn't negatively affect the buyer. Sellers are not allowed to leave bad feedback for a buyer...even if the buyer tries to scam the seller. 

As a seller, your post is offensive in ways. I agree with you that if a buyer purchases an item, or wins an auction, and pays immediately the seller should leave positive feedback about the quick payment. But look at the other side...buyers who do not leave feedback. I have been a seller since October of 2013, have sold 88 items. Do you know how many of my buyers have left me feedback? 52. Feedback is extremely important to sellers...especially new sellers. You have to have 25 seller feedback to have the restrictions lifted from your account, have your listing limits raised, etc. And according to ebay....you cannot make a buyer leave you feedback, you can only ask them to. Which is exactly what I had to do until I reached 25. I sent out at least 40 requests for feedback. So buyers....leave your sellers feedback. I ship same day, except weekends and holidays, I protect my items from damage during shipping (there is a learning curve there), I provide free shipping, and I ship fast. Go to my profile and check feedback left for me as a seller vs feedback I have left. Then readjust your anger towards the sellers who do not leave feedback...not all sellers are that way.

Message 146 of 425
latest reply

That sucks doesn't it? What you can do though is wait 3 days after it has posted as confirmed delivery and call paypal. They will release your money. I was not going to wait 3 weeks just because a buyer could not take 5 seconds to leave feedback. As a buyer I always left feedback, as a seller I need the feedback. Thank heavens I'm past the requirements of ebay and paypal on my money being held.
Message 147 of 425
latest reply

I have had to literally call two customers to walk them through the steps of fixing a screw up they made. One tried to purchase from a friends account, then purchased from her own account...due to ebays policy if you buy it now and don't pay it now, it is still available to be sold...I ended up with double final value fees. I had to call her to walk her through the steps of canceling the transaction on her friends account. All of this after I shipped the item next day air. No feedback at all. The other was trying to scam for a partial refund. Nope, I took care of her problem by calling the retail store in her city to ask if the could please provide the so called missing component. Then I sent her detailed directions to the store, the store phone number, and who to talk too. I called the store a few days later...my "nephew's girlfriend nor my nephew" showed up. Ebay is no longer buyer beware....it's seller beware. In both cases I got emails thanking me for all the help, but no feedback was left.
Message 148 of 425
latest reply

yes they can...lol
Message 149 of 425
latest reply

@mrobind42 wrote:
I have had to literally call two customers to walk them through the steps of fixing a screw up they made. One tried to purchase from a friends account, then purchased from her own account...due to ebays policy if you buy it now and don't pay it now, it is still available to be sold...I ended up with double final value fees.

You would only end up with double FVF if you listed the item twice and it was purchased twice. "Trying to purchase" doesn't create a transaction, and doesn't result in an FVF fee. If it was "still available to be sold", then they didn't buy it using the friend's account and you weren't charged FVF.

Message 150 of 425
latest reply