cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

What makes me crazy is " you buy 5 items and realize they dont show because they are private" gggsshhh, why makr it private. and i listed and item and took it of 3 days later ebay charged me 4$

Message 61 of 425
latest reply

Feedback is optional, there's no side that "should" leave it first.

Also, feedback is worthless to buyers because no buyer can get less than 100% nowadays.

When up against non-payers, file UPI cases ASAP, do the right thing for the wellbeing of you and other fellow sellers.
Message 62 of 425
latest reply

As a seller and a buyer I’m replying to this from a seller’s point of view right now. Sometime people may pay right away and that’s great. But once an item goes to a buyer the buyer may give bad feedback because they made a mistake and bought the wrong thing and just want someone to blame so they say the item wasn’t described well when really it was described perfectly. Usually I do leave positive feedback right away for a buyer but sometimes hold off until a week after they have received it. After that much time there is a higher probability that the buyer is completely satisfied and then I feel its ok to give the feedback. But yes the feedback system is worthless since eBay made it so sellers can’t leave negative feedback especially for non-paying bidders. Shame on you silly eBay management.

Message 63 of 425
latest reply

ggod-us
Enthusiast
Message 64 of 425
latest reply

I have sold more than a thousand items on eBay as a seller and bought over a hundred items as a buyer. I have tried leaving a feedback immediately to buyers or a couple of weeks later, yet  only a few (like 3 in 40) buyers reciprocate. I send a check up message sometimes to see if the buyer is satisfied with the transaction, some of them reply with praises, and yet no feedback. The few feedback I've accumulated so far are from highly responsive and understanding buyers who leave feedback and I reciprocate immediately or automatically. 

A buyer will hurrily sign in to contact a seller or leave a negative feedback if an item is not as described or if they aren't satisfied with the transaction, but will keep quiet if everything is fine and smooth. So here's my opinion: An automatic positive feedback should be left for sellers (or both) within 30 days of delivery confirmation. 

Most buyers only log on to their ebay account once in a while to purchase an item as a result of their busy schedule, but will log in immediately something goes wrong with a transaction. 

This is a cry for help. 

(Don't mind my fat thumbs, posted with an iPhone)

Message 65 of 425
latest reply

Theres a few good points on both sides as I see it.

I buy and sometimes sell,  I don't like getting or leaving negative feedback.

I can see why sellers would want to hold off on feedback til buyer gives it and also why buyer would want feedback first as well.

I say give good feedback as buyer even if seller has not given yet if your happy with item.

if buyer doesn't respond with feedback even after that then its up to you whether or not you give them your business anymore.

I also believe that it can go the same for a seller, they can just block the buyer from purchasing if they so please, at least I think they can block a buyer.

just give feedback on both sides, it makes everyone feel better.

-----------

As of right now delivery time for an item I just purchased is set to be delivered today but seller has not gave me feedback, and they also was kinda rude in a reply message after I ask for a few more pic's of item.

As long as the item is what I bought and in mint condition as they stated I'm going to give a positive feedback, if he doesn't give feedback as well then I may or may not buy from them again.

I will however send them a friendly message asking for there feedback if after a while I haven't received it, only because they may have forgot.

You Reap what you sow

Always show kindness , wisdom and understanding in all that you do.

Peace

Acts 2:38

God Bless

Message 66 of 425
latest reply

I've been a seller since 1999. Since ebay took away a seller's ability to leave negative feedback for buyers it has opened the flood gates for rude, dishonest people with nothing better to do than cause trouble for hard working honest sellers. I have always left feedback for buyers immediately, but lately I very rarely receive feedback from buyers. I have been bullied twice in the last year by buyers that received their items and then tried to renegotiate the price. One woman actually got my phone number from ebay and called me to complain immediately after paying. ebay wont consider phone conversations when settling disputes and this bidder knew it. Ebay knew she knew it (They told me so when I called them) as she had a history of this behavior. Even then they would not remove the 2 negative feedback she left me because they claimed her comments were mearly her opnion. Didn't matter that she had lied to slander me. I have too many of these stories to list here. But another woman threatened to have someone come and "take care of me" . She purchased a smart phone and after using it for a week, she returned only the phone in damaged condtion. No charger, no box and only half of the accessories. Paypal (owned by ebay - can you say double dipping?) Took the money out if my account and refunded her payment! IF YOU BUY ON EBAY PLEASE KNOW MOST SELLERS ARE REPUTABLE, THE FEEDBACK SYSTEM HAS FAILED US! AND TO EBAY, ITS A SLAP IN THE FACE THAT YOU DO NOT RETURN THE LOYALTY THAT THE LONG TIME SELLERS HAVE GIVEN TO YOU.
Message 67 of 425
latest reply

I sell and buy on E-bay and I agree with you 100%. I have had more problems from sellers (people I buy from) than buyers (people who buy from me.) Most transactions work out smoohly but a couple of bad Ebayers can ruin it. Thanks for the good advice.

Message 68 of 425
latest reply

It's not against ebay policy. Feedback is voluntary. Some sellers wait because they have had terrible experiences with buyers so they will wait until after the buyer gives feedback. Another thing is sellers are not always at the computer. Sellers are busy just like buyers.

Message 69 of 425
latest reply

@cooldealz4all wrote:

A buyer will hurrily sign in to contact a seller or leave a negative feedback if an item is not as described or if they aren't satisfied with the transaction, but will keep quiet if everything is fine and smooth. So here's my opinion: An automatic positive feedback should be left for sellers (or both) within 30 days of delivery confirmation.

If a buyer is not 100% happy but is uncertain what feedback to leave, they may not leave any.

If they know a positive will automatically be given if they don't leave any, they may decide to leave a neutral or neg.

Message 70 of 425
latest reply

As a Seller, I feel the transaction is not over until the buyer has received the item and in the condition stated. For example, if I send out an item and clearly state it's condition and buyer neglects to read the listing where said info is clearly stated, this affects the experience for me as a seller as well. I do feel the transaction is over when the buyer has received the goods and is happy with them. How each party professionally handles getting there should help determine feedback on both sides.
Message 71 of 425
latest reply

So here the other shoe. I've sold 12 items in the last 60 days and only one left feedback after they recived the item. I always leave positive feedback as soon as I ship the item, usually the same day. Both side need some help.

Message 72 of 425
latest reply

As both a buyer and seller on eBay, I think the seller is perfectly correct in waiting until the buyer leaves feedback before the seller does! When I sell an item and don't receive feedback once it's received by the buyer, how do I know the buyer likes it? How do I know that if I go ahead and leave positive feedback that the buyer won't, within the 14-day return window, come up with some lame excuse to return? Or, worse yet, damage the item then return it? Unfortunately, because so many buyers today don't bother leaving feedback, or don't leave it until weeks and weeks have gone by, I've started to leave FB before receiving it. But I don't like doing that.

I think the entire FB system is broken on eBay, anyway. But, really, where does the OP get the idea that it's the seller's obligation to leave feedback first? Seems to me it's acceptable for either to leave it first. But I prefer to get buyers' FB before I leave it. I used to state in my listings that I would leave FB once the buyer had, but nobody pays attention to stuff like that, so I don't bother anymore.

In any case, I always end up leaving FB even though many buyers don't bother with it anymore.
Message 73 of 425
latest reply

your title says one thing (sellers to give fb first) and your post says the opposite (buyers to give fb first).

join me in a cup of strong morning coffee to get our brains working?

Message 74 of 425
latest reply

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you.  Your job is not done when you pay.  You need to let the seller know that you have received your item and you are happy with the service and your purchase. This allows the seller to correct any issues before you decide to leave negative feedback.

Also, feedback is not mandatory is it a choice by either party to leave feedback. Read ebay policy on this.

And, a seller can't leave you anything but positive feedback or no feedback at all, so a buyer has nothing to lose either way.

And I can tell you from personal experience and over 16,000 transactions that only about 30% or less of buyer leave feedback anyway.
And it is a big job leaving feedback for hundreds of sales, especially if the favor is not returned.
As a 16 year seller I have tried it both ways and since the feedback program has been changed it holds less weight than it once did.

THINK ABOUT THIS.... ALL buyers who are SCAMMERS, CHEATS, THIEVES, LIARS ALL have 100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK.

Thats not saying all buyers are bad, but even the bad one's now have 100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK because ebay only allows it.

So now I personally only leave feedback for those buyers who let me know they are happy with their service, shipment speed, item purchased and that we have no issues to address.  The exception for me is buyers who are new or have less than 10 feedbacks, because they are new and unfamiliar with the feedback process and I want to welcome them and help them get started on ebay.

My feedback record so far is below.

18,298 Feedback left for buyers

9,003 Feedback received from buyers

So as you can see I've left twice as many feedbacks as I have received to date.  How would you like to write over 18,000+ feedbacks expecting to get a nice feedback in return.  I like praise as well as the next guy.

I am a powerseller, top rated seller with 99.9% Positive feedback currently.

Just saying, its something to think about.  And if you want more info on "Feedback Etiquette" do a google search.

A buyer is expected to pay quickly and on time thats the norm.  But if they pay late and slow what recourse do I have. NONE.

Good sellers will and should always leave positive feedback when they have received positive feedback.  Its a way to welcome buyers back for the next sale.  If they choose not to leave feedback thats fine.

Food for thought.....

"Four Score and 10 years ago ebay was once a fun enjoyable place to do business." - NOW - "The Beatings will continue until seller morale improves." And if there is no improvement the Cassini Search will delete all your listings from its Search results.
Message 75 of 425
latest reply