cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

Mumzy, dont feel that bad...I received a negative years ago as the stamps on the package were not in a perfect straight line and ebay sided with them as ebay said it was the buyers opinion and they are allowed to say what they want in the feedback...That is why now, i purposely scan the package and send the buyer  picture through ebay ... I only do it so ebay has a record of the item on file...I suggest you and others do the same...it may be a bit of extra effort on the sellers behalf but it will be on ebays records and they will see the buyer is telling untruths. 

Message 586 of 613
latest reply

Never deal with Canada (Canadian Buyers/Sellers)

Message 587 of 613
latest reply

You dont get it . Ebay is owned by China. Like so many things in the usa. Our Government is the one to blame

not ebay. But you can be mad at who you like . 

Message 588 of 613
latest reply

I sympathize with sellers having to deal with dishonest buyers.  I also concur that eBay sometimes gets it wrong on decisions it makes.  I have seen this go both ways - one time after a car was misrepresented as being rust free, the buyer received a car that when the trunk was opened, the entire trunk floor was rusted away so bad that a spare tire would fall through to the ground.  This involved several thousand dollars.  eBay ruled against the buyer claiming the buyer should have had the car inspected at the buyer's expense.  Sellers often overstate a vehicle's condition, misrepresent model (Pontiac Tempest is NOT a GTO), etc.

The other point I make is this:  If you are setting up a website to sell, you obviously realize 100 percent of the money comes from the buyers through the transaction prices.  A seller pays all eBay fees with buyer's money! Without customers, sellers are completely out of business.  Buyers are paying for overpriced shipping (I have been charged $80 for shipping and have seen half that amount on the label - and no offer to refund the difference), sales tax on un-taxable items such as used clothing, and for all of eBay's fees included in a price, as well as profit for the seller.  There is no shortage of bad buyers and sellers.  Overall, good eBay sellers and buyers make eBay a positive and profitable experience.  Just realize if buyers are not buying, sellers, and eBay are completely out of business because the buyers are the source for 100 percent of the cash. eBay arbitrates on behalf of both parties.  Sellers who go to their own website will be spending time and money in small claims court, waiting months for their day in court.  If an out of town buyer brings a case against a seller, the seller is likely lose if he does not show up - even if the seller is in the right and the buyer is a con-artist.

Message 589 of 613
latest reply

I am so sorry this happens to you. 

This also just happens to me this week.

EBAY ALWAYS FAVORS THE BUYERS!  

On Jan 19, 2021 I sold a Epson Artisan 1430 Inkjet Printer Brand New but AS IS because it wasn't turning on ebay for $194.67.

The original price was $649. But It wasn't turning on so I thought to sell it AS IS broken, for PARTS only. No returns, no refunds and no exchanges. 

Jan. 22 :The buyer requested a return

Going back and forth with the buyer I  offer him a partial refund. HE DECLINED. 

Then I told him to ship it back, but he needs to pay for shipping. HE DECLINED.

Then the Buyer made up some **bleep** false claims and escalated the claim with ebay. 

EBAY favored the buyer and I am forced to take it back including paid shipping. 

Yesterday it got delivered back to me. 

I open the back and I was so shocked. 

When I received the printer back it was missing lots of parts.

All the accessories are missing I send was missing! He kept all the accessories.

Also the original receipt that I have included in the sale was missing.

Aside from that, the printer head is also missing and worst of all the sticker where the serial number was is also missing! The buyer has scratched off the serial number sticker!!! 

Oh did I mention that the BUYER SELL PRINTERS? 

Once he made the return request I saw his shop he sold printers. A day later all his listing were gone! 

What a co-incident! 

Here are the items that are missing.

1. All manuals
  2. Power cables
  3. CDs and DVD drives
  4. DVD print tray
  5. printer head
  6. printer cover of the ink box
  7. Original receipt
  8. Serial number sticker
  9. Paper feeders

The printer came back in a very terrible shape and had physical damage.

I have pictures for proof.

Buyer not only made false claims but has also misused and abused ebays return policy.

He knew exactly that he could get away with it. 

The printer was missing items and it was damaged beyond repair.

Oh and immedialty upon delivery like basically 30 mins later after I open the package the buyer proof tracking number to EBAY and Ebay has refunded him in full and favor the buyer! 

Ebay had the last word and they didn't want to know my side of the story nor hear the seller's input.

Oh and Ebay took money (that I didn't have) out of my Paypal. 
Now I have a negative paypal 

Paypal tried to get money out of my bank account. 

But luckily I put a STOP PAYMENT ORDER ON PAYPAL with my bank. 

Paypal and ebay are getting NOTHING from me. 

They have favored the buyer! THey should get the money back from the buyer!!!! 

On Jan 30 I sent an appeal to ebay.

Ebay: We weren't able to give you a refund

EBAY SEND ME THIS MESSAGE AND CLOSE THE CASE

Hi Christine,

After reviewing this case, we decided to keep the original outcome. We understand that you received your item in a different condition from when you shipped it. Unfortunately, we weren't able to grant your appeal because we couldn't determine that this was caused by the buyer, or that this was something in the buyer's control.

You won't receive a refund for this case.

EBAY is as worst as the buyer themselves! They favored the buyer and they refunded him and they close the case in his favor.

Leaving the seller in a loss with a broken and damaged item.

I have been with eBay for a while now. This buyer was a liar and a thief. A cheater. A horrible buyer in every way. This buyer says something is wrong with the item (whether there is or not) eBay favors them and I am forced to refund his money back and in return get my broken item back with the missing serial number and parts.

THIS IS NOT RIGHT!

The bottom line is that ebay takes the buyers word for it and never the sellers.

Leaving sellers unsafe and screwed!

Ebay should be ashamed of themselves. I will stop selling on ebay.

They just lost another seller.

The buyer knew exactly how to play ebay and ebay got fooled by a cheater.

They lost a good and honest seller. The buyer is theft and cheated misusing ebays buyer garantie.

All I can now say is I HATE EBAY and I HATE PAYPAL! I will now start selling on Facebook marketplace. Offerup and Nextdoor app. Ebay has horrible greedy business practices.

I have filed a complained with BBB. 

And I will let my story be heard all over social media!

Exposing Ebay shady way of business. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! 

PS: I just put that broken printer in the trash! 

PSS: The buyer 2015usimfe (13 ) I bock him

Message 590 of 613
latest reply

In future if a customer quibbles and barks about the shipping cost.. tell him you will not charge him a thing in shipping but he has to pay for a plane fare to the nearest airport to you, then a taxi to your place you have the item in person....Then he has to pay you your money , then catch a taxi back to the airport , then catch a plane back to where he started off from (meaning his home base) ... or another case is he can buy the shipping company he will have it shipped by whether it be UPS - USPS - fedex  etc etc etc and when he receives his item for no shipping cost as he will have own the company, he can then sell the company and pay capital gains tax if he does not take a loss... 

Message 591 of 613
latest reply

You collected $260 for an item and spent $280 on shipping? This ones on you.....

Message 592 of 613
latest reply

I totally know what you are talking about. A couple years ago I sold a Kosen Mohair collectable plush Black Bear to a women that wanted it sooooo bad and she tt/me down a $100.00 was $600.00 I agreed and off to the Global shipping it went KY. Then when she received the Bear she said that it smelled and I had pictures of me wrapping it and then mailing it. Ebay sided with her and my bear was sent back I didn't get my ebay fee back and the bear came back to me in the same condition it left. 

Today I found out that an item I just purchased April 24, 2021 last week ebay emailed me today and said the item was removed. I looked up the seller and they are gone, Ebay said I had to go through paypal to get my money back. 

I worked alday to find a new outfit to sell and purchase items and I am done with Ebay they are sooooooooooooooooooooooo crooked now. 

There are really great sellers and buyers like myself that has made Ebay rich and now I cannot support them anymore. Done EBAY:) EBAY eat my **bleep**:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

People don't sell on EBAY or BUY on EBAY.

Message 593 of 613
latest reply

My mother 83 just recently bought an item for her kitchen and the item said delivered and Ebay wouldn't give her a refund. My mother tt/Fedex and they told my mother that the item was delivered elsewhere in our city and sent my mother the receipt of this and Ebay still wouldn't help my mother with the proof of the Fraud. My mothers Bank took care of it.

Open disputes with your banks/cards they will fight for you if you provide the evidence:))))))))

EBAY shame the **bleep** on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell is waiting for you all at EBAY, can't you people feel the heat:) 

Message 594 of 613
latest reply

I sell 1tb hard drive and this is why I stopped using eBay. Buyers would use them for two weeks within the 30day window to return the product saying it never worked. these were brand then drives that i buy for the same price and sell for the same price and make my money off the shipping. Now the hardrives have to be sold as used and not new. SO I know all of these work but eBay always makes me pay shipping and the full price back which screws me since I use the money already to pay for more hard drives. not worth it plus they just got rid of being paid through pay pal so that sucks to. 

Message 595 of 613
latest reply

Now you can. Well, kind of.

Message 596 of 613
latest reply

I completely agree with you. Business is never perfect, just look at Jeff Bezo's return policy lol. Don't expect all customers on eBay are con artists. You will get some con artists here and there but the overal picture will make you more profit for providing good customer service. You need to be smart about these things like purchasing shipping insurance and what to do when the worst thing happens like if a customer cons you. Take photos of serial numbers and how you packed things before shippment. If eBay doesn't help, paypal will help, if paypal doesn't help maybe USPS will help and if nothing works, then just file a case at small claims court, jeeze and if that doesnt work... you live and learn. A good business man learns from being swindled by a con artist and updates its business strategy and continues to do business.

I mean look at the pros, how are they making a killing on eBay? It seems its regular people on eBay just wanna sell stuff to clear things from the house, they seriously need to know how to sell things before palcing an Ad. Selling internationally is already a big No-No for me simply becuase as what the OP is going through.

Message 597 of 613
latest reply

No. I refuse to sell on eBay. Not playing these criminal games.  Bought counterfeit Philips toothbrush(s) from a seller. Chinese illegal activity on eBay. The FEDS/FTC should fine then dealy to fix the illegalities that exist on eBay. eBay is criminal in many respects.

So eBay works a deal with the seller/buyer to give your money back if you give the seller a positive rating. THEY BROKE THE LAW!  EBAY IS BREAKING THE LAW!  BEWARE!

Message 598 of 613
latest reply

CRIMINAL ACTIVITY ON EBAY.

Message 599 of 613
latest reply

I’m so sorry this has happened to you all I am a buyer. A single mother of 3 trying to make a living and I bought a Kiara sky pro led LG lamp. 250+tax the seller had good reviews and seemed very trustworthy. I messaged him prior he said it was what he listed etc. come yesterday me being so excited I open box to a laptop charger and a cheap 20$ uv lamp I could of ordered off Amazon for 20$. I’m willing to prove what he sent was not what he advertised the lamp I thought I was buying wouldn’t even fit in the box the lamp he sent was in . I requested refund and I am now scared once I send back he will scam again. Is their a way I can send to eBay in the same box . I’m still waiting on him to give me shipping label because ebay told me since he sent wrong lamp he has to pay for shipping im heart broken. So I know how you feel I feel robbed and now I don’t know who to trust ., please help 

Message 600 of 613
latest reply