cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

I just bought a Louis Vuitton suitcase.. Never received it... EBAY refunded my money & the $50 shipping (wasn't heavy). I was curious (been waiting a month) and it was listed again, EXACT SAME PICTURES... I wonder how many times she ripped ppl off and then re- lists it? She has no other items for sale.. Great gig if you can get it. Want EBAY to respond? Give them a lousy rating for how they handled the situation. You can e-mail me with questions. anklebiter1964@gmail. Hope this helps
Message 571 of 613
latest reply

I had similar experiences with a seller.

I bought something 

For $8 and the seller charged me $108 shipping on an $8 purchase that was labelled free shipping.

I sent ebay all kinds

Of evidence against him but they sided with him. What is so hard to understand about free shipping and why would anyone pay $108 shipping on an $8 purchase that was with free shipping. He went back in and made some changes.

A short time later i made a purchase from another seller. He acted as if he sent my whole order because he had a tracking number. After they get a tracking number they can put anything or nothing in the package. He didn t send 2 expensive bracelets. He did send 2 other things

I sent several emails to him and got nowhere. Went thru ebay and they sided with him. He sent the 2 bracelets in a tiny container that wouldn't have held anything more.

The kicker is it ended up being the same seller under a different name. 

I also paid a seller $95 for a newborn doll. She kept promisng me it was in the mail and got sent back and resent etc. Actually she never sent me anything. Never could get a refund.

These kind of sellers make things rough for a decent and helpful seller like you.

Good luck into the future.

Message 572 of 613
latest reply

May 2020, I just got screwed (as a seller) out of about $86. Nothing has changed. eBay will be dead soon enough. What's even worse, no eBay outsources jobs to the Philippines and other places with really cheap labor.

So, not only are they screwing sellers in the USA, they outsource jobs.

Everything is slated towards two things on eBay, buyer protection, and EBay's bottom line.

Someone needs to emerge a real competitor with better options but this company is terrible.

I don't see EBay lasting another ten years the way it's going.

Message 573 of 613
latest reply

Yes, this just happened to me. I am out 500.00 in shipping alone.  There is nothing we can do the buyer will always get what the want. OF COURSE i will never do this again, however as you can see by all the posts online it will continue to happen. This was my very first and last time dealing with ebay. ITS Evil!  Here a question, Why is there no class action against ebay?

Message 574 of 613
latest reply

,_🙄_, uhg...

~I'm So VERY SORRY, And I Can See

How Easy A FEW BUYER'S Can Disrupt,

And Contaminate, A Normal Functioning

System, And A Multitude Of Relationships

Ongoing, Between The Sellers, And The

Buyers, Which Is So Unfortunate...

~I Appreciate Your Position,

And Respect Your Fortitude

Strength, And Endurance All

Through, "out of ALL times"

The: CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY!

~THANK YOU -

- For Your Willingness To Be

- Persistent, & I ONLY Hope-

-That NOW You Have PEACE...

~RESPECTFULLY!   ,_😇/'💬

((Take Very GOOD Care.,.)) 

Message 575 of 613
latest reply

The scamming and thieving buyer , jolo-4224 , won an auction for a drone. 

He paid quickly and I shipped the package right away.

Shipment to Puerto Rico took some extra time because of Covid-19 related issues affecting shipment delays to the island.  I personally tracked the package my self and even spent a couple hours on the phone and USPS website to get to the reason for the delay. As soon as the shipment was scanned in Puerto Rico, the thief, jolo-4224 (Jose Lopez , Haciendas de borinquen calle mabo #206, Toa Alta Puerto Rico 00953 , Puerto Rico) filed an unreceived claim for the drone WITH HIS CREDIT CARD!!  The next day it was delivered.

After several (cordial) requests with the buyer to acknowledge receipt of the drone to his credit card to release the funds, he refused to close the case and no further response.  

No jurisdiction or assistance whatsoever from Ebay or PayPal and Ebay is still leaving related fees on my invoice.

In the end, it will cost me the drone (sold for $740) the shipping cost of $24.17 plus the extra $2.42 shipping fee for Ebay, the Ebay final value fee of $74.00.  I am fully confident PayPal will somehow take a cut as well, regardless, because they have to make money too, right? 

Ebay and PayPal seem to stand behind and fully support people engaged in this kind of activity so if you need something for free, this method seems to work. It is unbelievable that even with fully documented proof that he is intentionally trying to scam me, he will likely get away with it. As long as Ebay and PayPal get their money, they coukld care less about the outcome of any transaction behind the scenes. They are just as guilty.

I can only hope that another hurricane flattens Haciendas de borinquen calle mabo #206, Toa Alta Puerto Rico 00953 , Puerto Rico and the strong winds blow his free drone straight up his effing bum. I bet the Ebay and PayPal reps would be on the next plane to PR to help him out.  Upon arrival in PR, I would hope the chosen reps choke on their first taste of Tostones.

Message 576 of 613
latest reply

I would fully support any class action suit related to these incidents.

Ebay and PayPal have gotten too big for their britches and are at the point where customer service and ethics no longer apply.

Money is King no matter how they acquire it. Honest sellers and buyers who used to enjoy using these once great services have been completely outnumbered by (insert any expletives you deem appropriate here) scammers but as long as the money keeps rolling in from any sort of transactions, they truly could care less if they earned it via a legitimate transaction or if it was obtained illegally . To them it is money...period. The customer can go to hell until the next transaction of course.

Message 577 of 613
latest reply

Ebay and PayPal both suck and could care less about anything but the money. 

They don't care about the validity of any transaction as long as they get their cut.

I my case, a buyer filed an unreceived item claim with his credit card one day before delivery! As soon as the package was tracked in Puerto Rico and delivery was imminent.

The money was pulled from my PayPal account and Ebay is still hitting me with all related fees.

Both Ebay and PayPal offer no assistance claiming they are powerless since the claim was not made with either of them but "sorry you had a bad experience".

So what? Better luck next time? 

I gave scathing review and ratings to Ebay. They could care less. They are too big to care now. 

Message 578 of 613
latest reply

I've been scammed as a seller.  I sold a mint video card.  Buyer said it didnt' work and sent a different video card back .  Visually different, rusted, different serial number, color, markings, etc...  Guy stole my video card.  I provide picture proof including photos of serial number to ebay.  Ebay ruled in buyer's favor and I'm out almost $200.   This guy does this regularly as he buys computer parts at full price and somehow makes money reselling them for less.  He is stealing everyone's stuff and shipping back junk he finds.

Message 579 of 613
latest reply

I don't like anything about the NEW ebay, holds on accounts, rulings in favor of buyer every time.  I'm done with ebay, never will sell there again.

Message 580 of 613
latest reply

You should have marked your item somewhere that the buyer wouldn't notice. Just in case these things happen... Also, always record or take pictures of the item and the package before sealing it and shipping. As long as you have these, there are Seller protections to protect you. I too am a seller and I hate to have these kinds of buyers, and as much as it suck, we always encounter them all the time. I package all of my items with care and go an extra mile to personally pack, drop off, and send confirmation e-mails telling the buyer that the item has been shipped, and yet, they still think its alright to purposely replace the item or damage it, in order to get their "money" back.

Message 581 of 613
latest reply

I found this super rare Stranger Things dart shaped cheeto, back in October 2017. It was right before the 2nd season released, so I new it would be a hot seller. 

This stupid Canuck won the bid at $157, which I felt was insultingly under valued. I used over night shipping so he could have it for the airing of S2:E1. A couple weeks later I saw that I had a message from eBay buyer protection. 

The buyer claimed that I just sent a common cheeto and he demanded a full refund including the $67.80 for overnight shipping. Of course eBay sided with him and I had to wait 5 business days to get my super rare cheeto back. 

This is where things took a turn for the worse. When I received the returned package. I realized that not only did the dirty canadian return a different cheeto. But it wasn't even of the"crunchy" variety which I had sent. It was a "jalapeno cheddar," which I'm sometimes in the mood for, but will never take the place of original "crunchy." 

After the trauma of all of this, I couldn't even enjoy watching Stranger Things season 2, without feeling xenophobic towards Canadians. 

For an entire year I just sat in my parents basement all day watching South Park the movie. And the only joy I found in life, was hearing the 1 min 24 second "Blame Canada song."

Thanks eBay! Thanks Canada!

"They're not even a real country anyway." - Copy Shack Employee

Screenshot_20201123-085146.png

Message 582 of 613
latest reply

I will never sell on ebay again and ebay start feeling this financially enough to change the protections for sellers. I sold a phone early in the year, the buyer claimed she couldnt hear while on the phone. I knew it was **bleep** and told her i know the phone works and im not taking returns.  Of course she file a complaint ebay sides with her immediately. The buyer sent it back to a wrong address and because it said delivered they gave her money back. I called ebay argued with them telling to look at the delivery address its not my address.

After like 5th try i got someone to look and i kid you not they told me i need to work it out with the buyer. I contacted the buyer, and thankfully the person at the address rejected it and it was sent back to the buyer. I gave my correct address to the buyer and she again sent it to the wrong address. I contacted ebay to inform them i never got my phone back and the buyer got her money back. Ebay pretty much told it shows delivered on their end and there is nothing they can do and i need to work it out with the buyer. Needless to say 6 months later i never recieved my phone. So F ebay ill never sell with them again. PROTECT THE SELLERS!!!!!!

Message 583 of 613
latest reply

It has happened to me and I got off by a buyer a she wanted me to send her a first-class return label I asked eBay to take care of it customer was unruly no she got my product and her hundred and $120 back

Message 584 of 613
latest reply

Yep I just sent a piece of artwork the only way that the glass should have been shattered is it somebody stepped on it fed x  be ashamed of themselves

Message 585 of 613
latest reply