cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Oh, the weather outside is frightful...

Message 2 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Hi,

This is getting to be insane. It is now -6 degrees and tomorrow it is supposed to be 50 and rainy. Where is all this snow and water going to go when on Monday is supposed to drop back down to freezing. I wish there was some way to ship all this water to California to help with their drought.

greg

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 31 of 74
latest reply

That bridge is about halfway between my house and Marie's.

It's 7 degrees on sunny Cape Cod this morning.  I was up before the sun rose.  Even bundled up, I had a hard time sleeping because my nose was cold.  We don't crank the heat up too much because we try to be conservative.  Now I understand why our ancestors wore woolen hats to bed and had counterpanes.  It was to keep the cold out!

Message 32 of 74
latest reply

Once upon a time, in the early '80s, my husband (of the time) and I had a Stop-and-Rob (convenience store) about a mile from where we lived. 

On Sundays, he would drive over and open while I get the kids ready for church, and then I would walk over and take over until the next employee got there.

One Sunday the temps were below freezing, and the wind chill was -70.

I have not looked to see what that would be in today's temps, but I can tell you IT WAS COLD!

I wore; undies, long undies (both top and bottom), flannel-lined jeans, cotton socks, wool socks, felt-pack boots, down jacket (hooded), scarf, and down mittens.

Three blocks from home I had to take off my glasses because they were freezing to my face.

When I got there, my eyelashes were frozen shut from my eyes watering.

“Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin
Message 33 of 74
latest reply

EEEK!! I've never been in single digit temperatures! 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
easily board
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Message 34 of 74
latest reply

Hi Bev & Messi,

Tell me about the dang cold. We grew up in Western Pa near West Va or as people say "Penncilltucky'. We had NO central heat. The only heat we had was when the kitchen wood stove was working. I was snuggled under two feather beds (ticks). one on the bottom and one on the top with a heavy wool blanket more like a rug on top. Many the time I woke up with snow on top of the blanket Even though the windows were drafty they were still cracked open an inch to let in fresh air. I was lucky since I had to walk to school but uphill only one way 3 miles. When I was in my teens I left home and moved to San Diego Ca. When I went to college I moved back to Pittsburgh since there was no way to go to school in Ca. The beach was too much of a draw. As soon as I graduated I moved east to get a little warmer. I bought a winter weight feather bed in Denmark and it is still the warmest thing in the world.

greg

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 35 of 74
latest reply

Ok it is official.

CA is in a drought.

We only have 20% of our snow pack which provides the state with 1/3 of its water supply.

Start packing those refrigerated containers with ice and ship to CA.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I do not claim to be an expert.
I know a lot about everything, and nothing about anything.

It is your responsibility to verify anything I say, before using or repeating it.

The more I learn about some people, the more I like my cats.

Message 36 of 74
latest reply

The coldest temps I have been in were on the shore of Lake Champlain in upstate New York. This was back in the early 80s and we were on a ski trip. Stayed in a little cabin with only a wood stove for heat. Got down to -42 one night. The next night was -38. Had to get up and keep stoking the stove all night. Couldn't get the car started the next day at first. Once we did, the exhaust pipe formed an icecicle while running! Of course we couldn't ski in weather like that. It finally warmed up to zero and we went skiing. The mountain was cold and extremely icy. Not the best skiing trip.

Experienced -37 one time in North Platte, Nebraska. Fortunately we were just passing through on the way to CO. Much better ski trip that winter. The worst I have experienced here in Central IL was -21. They are predicting -14 here for Sun. night and saying the coldest weather in 17 years...... piece of cake!

Be sure to look your gift horse in the mouth when receiving help.
Message 37 of 74
latest reply

Is this a bad time to bring up the 2004 movie, The Day After Tomorrow?

heh heh heh

“Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin
Message 38 of 74
latest reply

@messilane wrote:

Is this a bad time to bring up the 2004 movie, The Day After Tomorrow?

heh heh heh

Very cold weather is the norm in Colorado, the day after tommorrow is when the patrons from the bars are forced to go home.

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNVM CANTABO AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Message 39 of 74
latest reply

Just came in from a walk around the block at -20. Didn't wear a hat. The noises in the trees sounded very untreelike. The snow sounded like styrofoam. The last half was into the wind and my forehead and neck got fairly painful. Might be cold in the morning.

Message 40 of 74
latest reply

65 this morning, zero tonight. 12 tomorrow.

Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum
Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.

Don

Message 41 of 74
latest reply

Geee this all feels like science fiction - weird. Here in Dixe, the deep south, at 10 am CST our temp is 10 degrees. Early this morning when DH got up, it was 7 degrees. Saw somewhere on the Internet the temp in Boston is 50 something. I know, I know 10 degrees isn't as bad as many areas of the country, but it is terrible for the deep south.

Our Internet is very very slow this morning. The cable went down sometime last night but is up this morning, albeit slow. We may have other problems before the day is over. Pipes may be bursting all over the deep south in the next day or so.

--- Susan

Message 42 of 74
latest reply

I'm ready for my walk!

Just plain Sue.
Message 43 of 74
latest reply

Just plain Sue.
Message 44 of 74
latest reply

@ladybranch wrote:

Geee this all feels like science fiction - weird. Here in Dixe, the deep south, at 10 am CST our temp is 10 degrees. Early this morning when DH got up, it was 7 degrees. Saw somewhere on the Internet the temp in Boston is 50 something. I know, I know 10 degrees isn't as bad as many areas of the country, but it is terrible for the deep south.

Our Internet is very very slow this morning. The cable went down sometime last night but is up this morning, albeit slow. We may have other problems before the day is over. Pipes may be bursting all over the deep south in the next day or so.

--- Susan

The deep south is that like a different country ?

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNVM CANTABO AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Message 45 of 74
latest reply