cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Oh, the weather outside is frightful...

Message 2 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

The high today was 12F, but it's going to hit the 40s on Monday.  Then back into the deep freeze on Tuesday. Most schools here closed due to the cold today.  Mine didn't, but only because we were already closed for the week.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 17 of 74
latest reply

It got to 62 in our backyard today, but we plunge into the deepfreezer tomorrow. Doubt we will see 20, and maybe colder than that. Not near as bad as the east coast though!

Light snow for a couple of days.

But back into the 40s by next week.

“Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin
Message 18 of 74
latest reply

Hi,

ALL weatherpeople LIE. Don may be happy with his 10" and snug. We were supposed to get 2" to 4" max. Woke up to 10.5" and now all the drifting. Temp only went to 17 degrees and is dropping like a rock supposed to go to -1 but with the lies it will probably go to -5. I must say the views are wonderful but I prefer snow scenes on Christmas cards

greg

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 19 of 74
latest reply

@terry5732 wrote:

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_24839862/dayton-closes-minnesota-schools-monday-ahead-cold

Minnesota has the right idea -- closing schools due to the record cold that is predicted.

They don't seem to be doing that here (although northern Iowa will be slightly less cold than MN).  Here, the low Sunday night is supposed to be -24 (that is 24 below, not counting the wind chill).  The high temp Monday is supposed to be anywhere between -9- to -14, depending on which newscast you listen to.  Normally, I would just decide to use a vacation day and stay home Monday, but unfortunately a large group of staff have been planning a trip that day down to Iowa City (about 90 minutes away).  So, looks like I'll be out in it!

Fig

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 20 of 74
latest reply

I walked to school when it was -34 and windy

Kids (and parents) today are sissies

Message 21 of 74
latest reply

...and that was in your pajamas and up-hill all the way, right Terry? 😉
Message 22 of 74
latest reply

Barefoot, and uphill BOTH ways!

“Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin
Message 23 of 74
latest reply

By the way, I was reading an interesting NWS page about the change in wind chill index back in 2001.  Things are a bit different.  Sometimes now the wind chill is higher than it would have been then, and sometimes lower.  For example, air temperature of -25 with a 5 mph wind would be -40 wind chill now, but before 2001 it would have been -31.

Here's a link to the page.  It includes charts, both old and new, and a calculator:  http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ddc/?n=windchill

Overall, any time the temp gets below -10 I can barely tell the difference... it's all too cold!

Fig

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 24 of 74
latest reply

20 to 30 below  with wind chills 40 to 60 below Sunday and Monday and I couldn't be happier.  Those 49ers won't know what hit 'em

Message 25 of 74
latest reply

WOOHOO Packer Backers!!!!!!

Go Cheeseheads!!!!!!!!!

Message 26 of 74
latest reply

Messi - cheeseheads, eh?  One time they were playing the Pats and we were in Boston.  If you looked up at the hotel windows, you knew where all the cheeseheads were staying because they propped their 'heads' up in the windows of the hotel at night.

Message 27 of 74
latest reply

This was taken on Bridge Rd in Eastham today.  Keeping in mind that this car is in a marsh, not a field.  Generally, in warm weather, when there's a storm, the water crests over the road.  The driver is lucky it was frozen solid.

Message 28 of 74
latest reply

Hi,

Isn't that where Marie lives? Hope they are fine. We had the snow and freezing temps and now the high tides caused flooding. My friends have icebergs flowing back and forth in their yard. Tomorrow morning It is be a 5ft ice rink. Welcome to 2014.

greg

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 29 of 74
latest reply

All I know is that it's pretty look at, but I can't stand it any more.  I guess I'll be Florida bound in the next few years.  I just hope the cold and snow doesn't follow me there.  Keep warm my dear eBay family, keep warm!

Message 30 of 74
latest reply