cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paycheck protection for sole proprietor with no employees or payroll

I can apply for the PPP loan as a sole proprietor and supposedly receive 2.5 months of income which is reported on my schedule C. But, when I go to fill out the application, it stipulates at least 25% has to go toward payroll for loan forgiveness. How do you prove you applied towards payroll when you’re the sole employee and have no payroll?? 

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Paycheck protection for sole proprietor with no employees or payroll

You can't. It just means you have to pay it back as a loan rather than receiving it as a grant.
Message 2 of 48
latest reply

You’re incorrect. If any one here actually knows the answer please reply. 

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

You do realise if you read the fine print on the PP it IS a loan, right?

It only becomes a grant (ie forgiven) if you actually use it as intended - for PAYROLL protection.

In fact as a sole proprietor with NO employees (ie no payroll to protect) I doubt you even qualify. And btw, 75% had to be used for payroll, not 25%

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

@justagirl12 wrote:

I can apply for the PPP loan as a sole proprietor and supposedly receive 2.5 months of income which is reported on my schedule C. But, when I go to fill out the application, it stipulates at least 25% has to go toward payroll for loan forgiveness. How do you prove you applied towards payroll when you’re the sole employee and have no payroll?? 

https://bench.co/blog/operations/paycheck-protection-program-self-employed/ 

Message 5 of 48
latest reply

I think you are applying for the wrong program.  You should probably be applying for the Economic Injury Disaster Loan, which can provide up to $10K which does not have to be repaid.  See link for both programs:

https://www.nationalfunding.com/blog/sba-paycheck-protection-program-ppp-vs-economic-injury-disaster...

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

Sole Proprietor does NOT mean that you have no employees; and that loan system is not made for you.

It is for the typical 'restaurant owner' that does not have any partners, is not a listed as a corporation etc.- he is the 'sole owner (proprietor) but he DOES have employees. Wait help, kitchen help etc. Can also be a factory with 200 employees, but still owned by '1 person', sole proprietor. 

The loan is 'forgiven' if you keep paying people, even if you have no business, during this pandemic- keeping those employees out of the 'unemployment' pool, taking money from that system. 

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

This might be the worst time possible to apply for any loans. There is no upside to borrowing in a downturn.

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

Thanks. I read this too. But my question is, will the loan turn into a forgivable grant because I’m using it to pay myself? What I mean is, how is it forgivable when you don’t have a payroll....only pay yourself?

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

Yeah, I meant 75%. 

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

I am a sole proprietor. I have filed taxes for my business for the past 25 years as a sole proprietor.....with no employees. Myself and my business are one in the same. Whatever the biz makes is what I make. 

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

You do not qualify, you have no employees. Yourself does not count. 

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

Okay. Then how are they making it available for independent contractors on April 10? An independent contractor has no employees either. 

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Because of the way it's written, ask 50 accountants and you'll get 50 different answers.
Message 14 of 48
latest reply

Payroll costs

consist of compensation to employees (whose principal place of residence is the United States) in the form of salary, wages, commissions or similar compensation; cash tips or the equivalent (based on employer records of past tips or, in the absence of such records, a reasonable, good-faith employer estimate of such tips); payment for vacation, parental, family, medical or sick leave; allowance for separation or dismissal; payment for the provision of employee benefits consisting of group health care coverage, including insurance premiums and retirement; payment of state and local taxes assessed on compensation of employees;

and for an independent contractor or sole proprietor, wage, commissions, income or net earnings from self-employment or similar compensation.
Message 15 of 48
latest reply