cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else seen this article?

This is posted from WCVB Boston:

BOSTON —

A Natick couple that was targeted in an "aggressive cyberstalking campaign" that led to federal criminal charges against several former eBay employees announced a federal lawsuit against the e-commerce company and its top officers on Wednesday.

In a statement from their attorney, Ina and David Steiner identify themselves as the victims of the harassment campaign. They are the editor and publisher of an online publication that covers e-commerce companies, including eBay.

When the first incidents occurred, in Aug. 2019, the Steiners said they didn't know who was behind the threats. They said it took nearly a year before they discovered the scope of the situation.

David Steiner called it, "corporate terrorism."

"When we were attacked, it was just terrifying. We were attacked online, we were doxxed, we were sent intimidating packages, threats, intimidation. So, we were really very afraid and I saw how it affected me and how it affected David," Ina Steiner said.

The couple said they were sent disturbing items including live bugs, a bloody pig mask and a funeral wreath.

US Attorney's Office
A mask depicting a bloody pig that federal prosecutors say was part of an "aggressive cyberstalking campaign" carried out by six former eBay employees against a couple in Natick, Massachusetts.

"We helped small businesses sell online and eBay tried to silence me with threats and intimidation," Ina Steiner said. "You would have to ask them what was so objectionable. We don't hate eBay. Our readers sell on eBay and other platforms and management was, apparently, thin-skinned."

Last year, several former eBay employees agreed to plead guilty in connection with the case.

Attorney Rosemary Scapicchio and the Steiners spoke publicly about the case for the first time on Wednesday.

"I just want to make clear that the directives, in this case, came from the top," Scapicchio said. "The directives in this case to stop the Steiners and intimidate the Steiners came from the top management of eBay."

Their lawsuit seeks damages, fees and relief in an amount to be determined at trial.

"Firing employees after the fact isn't enough. Send that message to corporate America," Scapicchio said.

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0