cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gathering value of some furniture lost in a fire for an insurance claim

I had a solid pecan bedroom set, full size headboard, triple dresser with mirror, 7 drawer high chest and 2 night stands. The drawers were in perfect shape, the inside of all was wood. The set was 25-30 years old. 

I also had a solid oak dining room set. 6 chairs (4 side and 2 end) The table was oval with 2 inserts. The china cabinet doors were decorated with beveled glass. The table was on a pedestal. The chairs were covered in a tapestry material. It was 21 years old

The last piece I am struggling with is a 100 year old+ china cabinet. I had legs that were about 2 feet tall. The front, including the door was wood with glass through out the wood portions of the door. This was as near perfect as furniture of this age could be.

All of the furniture was still being used at the time of the fire.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

No insurance company is going to accept appraisals / valuations based on the opinions of anonymous people on an eBay chatboard who have not seen even photographs of the furniture, much less examined it hands-on.

If you really think this is the place to get info your insurers, then the best you can do is use the Advanced Search function to look for comparable pieces that have sold and note the prices.

Really sorry to hear you, or someone in the family, had a fire and I hope the insurers come through.

-

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I'm very sorry for the losses you have incurred, but even the most competent appraiser wouldn't be able to help without detailed photos, at the very least, as maxine*j points out.  Anyone trying to help you from these boards would be akin to trying to give someone a haircut over the phone.  

Message 3 of 3
latest reply