cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Maybe ebay needs to be reported to the attorney generals office so that maybe they can be investigated.

Message 106 of 1,161
latest reply

I haven't sold anything since the fee changes until 2 weeks ago. Sold a game console for nearly 700 bucks but between eBay and PayPal(eBay getting paid twice must be nice) fees and shipping, I made a profit of 80 bucks on the thing. I should've put the dang thing on Craigslist. I'd have all of my profit in my pocket (provided I didn't get shot... I guess there is that tiny worry lol). Now I know for future reference. No more ebay selling for me.

Message 107 of 1,161
latest reply

Also wanted to add, for the person who said setting up a small store would save you money. Sure it would, provided you're a high volume seller. If you're a person like me, who only sells maybe 6 items a year... setting up a store for one month doesn't save you a whole lot. eBay knew what they were doing with that one... 😞
Message 108 of 1,161
latest reply

When an individual or small merchant prices items they often work on very thin margins which are eroded by Ebay and PayPal clip fees. Theoretically, in most cases the right way to handle this is to add 17% to the floor prices to offset the fees. If this is not practical, then the merchant really needs to take the business elsewhere. 

Message 109 of 1,161
latest reply

@vintagedieselmercedes wrote:

When an individual or small merchant prices items they often work on very thin margins which are eroded by Ebay and PayPal clip fees. Theoretically, in most cases the right way to handle this is to add 17% to the floor prices to offset the fees. If this is not practical, then the merchant really needs to take the business elsewhere. 

Or, sell something with a higher profit margin. (Econ 101.)

@blondtxnurse wrote:

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

eBay is getting more and more greedy!! 10% is an INSANE fee to take off the top of a sale in addition to paypal's new 3% fee!! and with all the listing fees it basically takes 15% of your total purchase!! RIDICULOUS!!!! I don't ever want to sell on here again..I would rather sell on Craigslist and actually MAKE MONEY and not have eBay take my money...does ebay do the manual labor of taking and posting pictures, responding to customer messages, printing the shipping labels and mailing the items??? NO, so it doesn't deserve a 15% cut....hopefully a new site comes out where you can sell your items and eBay goes out of business for being A RIP OFF!!!!!!

@blondtxnurse wrote:

Message 111 of 1,161
latest reply

What a joke sold a piece of equipment for 405$ ebay fees 42.64 + paypal fees 12.67 = 55.31  That means I received $349.69! I was turning down 375$ offers on craigslist every day! I will NEVER sell on ebay again. I actually feel swindled. Disgusted......

Message 112 of 1,161
latest reply

I've been using Ebay for many years  with perfect feedback of 398 but I'm no longer going to use Ebay to sell.  I recently sold a vintage guitar and was shocked to see that the final value fees were $245.00.  On top of that I only charged $50.00 shipping knowing that shipping was going to be over $100.00  In the future I'm simply going to lower the price and put things on Craigslist where I don't have to pay commission and will not have to mess with shipping. Ebay, 10% of nothing is .....

Message 113 of 1,161
latest reply

I agree, I'm finally getting fed up with the fees. I used to eBay a lot, I have 1 100% rating followed the rules to the T.

I'm going to start selling on Amazin & especially Craigslist a lot more and start cutting off eBay.

I Bought a Phone for $275, sold it for $350 on eBay. Between eBay & Paypal fees, they added up to about $50. Shipping cost me $10 because I offered free shipping, All this work and efforts, you would think I was going to make $75, I only made $15. It's disguses me how much I loose just for a site.  I don't even want to provide stuff for people on eBay anymore since I don't make any money, where is my incentive?!

Sorry eBay, but give us a freaking break for non businesses.

Message 114 of 1,161
latest reply

I have been a seller since 2010. I have seen a lot of price hikes. I would start my own site if I knew anything about starting a website. I only sell items that I will make a killing off of. Buy a video game for $2 sell it for $20. That is the only way I can know that my hobbie is going to make me money. So my advice is to but really low and sell high. It you take you itemsto an auction house they will charge you 25 %.
I know the fees and bs is getting out of hand but it is better then not selling anything. I dont like craiglist cause im not a fan of getting rapped or shot.
Message 115 of 1,161
latest reply

I agree its in a need of a new revenue totally

Message 116 of 1,161
latest reply

I, for one, am sick and tired of Ebay's excessive fee's. I sold 2 lego items, for a total of 390.00 before shipping, and now my acount balance is 43.00??? And other than that extremely high fee, I ended up having to pay paypal (come on, just say it, it's EBAY) an additional fee of close to 20.00. I lose 65.00 or so because I sell on ebay?

If I had another option, I would take it, but as it is I have things I need to get rid of because of money problems, so I have to deal with these greedy people for some time yet. After that, it's done for me. They're a total rip-off in every sense of the word. Sick of it.

Message 117 of 1,161
latest reply

They'll continue to charge whatever they want, enough to drive away all small time/hobby sellers. They don't want you here. They're trying to compete with Amazon. Just sell your stuff on Amazon/Craigslist and you'll be much happier. You'll avoid paypal too which is equally abyssmal. 

Message 118 of 1,161
latest reply

Ebay takes 10% Paypal takes 3% Don't offer free shipping and Ebay takes 10% of your shipping fee also. Enough is enough, most of us talking here are just the little guys selling things we no longer need or want. Ebay is in bed with big companys so they'll never complain or we never hear about it. Years ago Yahoo tried opening an auction site, it went no where. Its time for someone to step up and put Ebay in its place. Think of any large company, they all have competitors, but not Ebay!!! The only way to keep fee's down is competition. We need someone as big or bigger then Ebay, lets say GOOGLE! They would have the means to start a competing auction site, but there probaly in bed with Ebay also. So we can complain but it just falls on deaf CORPORATE Ebay ears.

Message 119 of 1,161
latest reply

Someone techguy said maybe instagram down the line could intregrate a feature but who knows

Message 120 of 1,161
latest reply