cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Agree those are better places and definitly cost saving.

Message 91 of 1,161
latest reply

I agree with everyone, This has to change. 

I just sold a PS4 on ebay for 555$. 

I bought that very same PS4 for 475$ on amazon. 

555 - 475 = 80$ - 64,12$ EB - 18,08$ PP fees = -2,02$. 

So total, I lost 2,02$ not including my time and wear/gas for my car selling the console on Ebay. 

Really?!?

Message 92 of 1,161
latest reply

Well, I'm pretty sure eBay and PP appreciate your hard work...........

In most cases, If you can't get at least double what you paid for an item (standard retail markup), you are probably wasting your time and money with the current fee schedule.

You're not paranoid if people really are out to get you! 
Message 93 of 1,161
latest reply

@mimigaking wrote:

I agree with everyone, This has to change. 

I just sold a PS4 on ebay for 555$. 

I bought that very same PS4 for 475$ on amazon. 

555 - 475 = 80$ - 64,12$ EB - 18,08$ PP fees = -2,02$. 

So total, I lost 2,02$ not including my time and wear/gas for my car selling the console on Ebay. 

Really?!?

Please, explain to me...why would you not take into account how much you'd need to cover your fees when you orginally set the purchase price of your item here?

Is paying ebay 10% of my selling price (final listing fee) kind of ridiculous? Or is it just me?

Message 95 of 1,161
latest reply

@flyersandeagles88 wrote:

Is paying ebay 10% of my selling price (final listing fee) kind of ridiculous? Or is it just me?

That would depend on what you're selling and how easy it is to sell on a site that charges less, wouldn't it?

Message 96 of 1,161
latest reply

Yes, I just paid 10% to sell an Xbox One.  Had no idea these fees were so high.  Won't be paying these inflated fees again.

Message 97 of 1,161
latest reply

It pays to read & understand all the costs & fee schedules before setting a sell price.  It seems there are a lot of eBay sellers that pay similar fees and do quite well. 

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 98 of 1,161
latest reply

I sold two items last month for a total of $428. I was charged a total of $243 in selling fees. There was no breakdown of the fees in the details of any notice or email I received. Can anyone make sense of that?

Message 99 of 1,161
latest reply

@jethroisking wrote:

I sold two items last month for a total of $428. I was charged a total of $243 in selling fees. There was no breakdown of the fees in the details of any notice or email I received. Can anyone make sense of that?

If I could pull up your invoice and look at the details, as you can easily do, I could make sense of it. eBay doesn't send the beakdown in an email; you have to look at it on-line.

Message 100 of 1,161
latest reply

The thing to remember is that eBay is, for all intents and purposes, a monopoly. The competitors bailed a long time ago. It can charge whatever it wants. If you or I don't use the service, someone else will. eBay started as a great idea, stressing the communitarian nature of the internet. Now it is simply a corporate colossus that acts like its cousins in other fields. Its value is unmistakeable. No doubt about that. To have access to merchandise from every corner is a great thing. But it is the sellers, not the buyers, who make eBay what it is. Buyers will show up anywhere and everywhere something is for sale. Ever put up signs for a garage sale and had people waiting on the curb at dawn? I am losing my incentive to sell via eBay because the company is pushing its "bite" on my transaction to the absolute limit. Eventually only the big sellers will be able to use it, and much of the appeal and value will be gone. The folks who enjoy doing a little hobby business for fun and a bit of supplemental income are being driven away.

Message 101 of 1,161
latest reply

I tried to look it up on my account, and it just says "fee." I cannot find a breakdown anywhere. There may be a page with one somewhere, but when I looked at the message they sent regarding November fees, there was no breakdown or link to a page with a breakdown. Even credit card companies don't do that, make it hard to find out what the reason for the charge is.

Message 102 of 1,161
latest reply

@jethroisking wrote:

I tried to look it up on my account, and it just says "fee." I cannot find a breakdown anywhere. There may be a page with one somewhere, but when I looked at the message they sent regarding November fees, there was no breakdown or link to a page with a breakdown. Even credit card companies don't do that, make it hard to find out what the reason for the charge is.

All Selling page > Account tab > Seller Account: 

ebaysp2.jpg

The link that gives you the breakdown of your fees is right there. There is also a link on that page which gives you an itemized monthly invoice that you can view in multiple ways and/or have emailed to you.

I'm a new ebayer. It sucks when I realize both ebay and paypal charged me for fees at such a high rate. I actually made no money from selling my stuff. When I'm in China, it's much easier and cheaper to sell and buy items online. It is just ridiculous. We have to consider all the fees into the price we are going to sell online, if the price is too low, we sellers made no money!!! And if it is too high, no one buys our product. 

Ebay sucks. Paypal sucks. and they two are from the sam company, right?

Anyway, it is really hard to make some small profit from selling items on ebay. No wonder it doesn't work well in China.

I think I'm done with ebay.

Message 104 of 1,161
latest reply

@cynthiazyy wrote:

We have to consider all the fees into the price we are going to sell online

Typically that would be done BEFORE one started to sell on a site, not after being invoiced.

Message 105 of 1,161
latest reply