cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Fees too High .. sellers leaving in droves.

Ebay Final Value Fees are too high. They won't learn till the sales drop and drop. Also, gimmicks not working.. all the games they play with the web pages  ..just irritating.

10% fee on final sales and Shipping Cost! Crazy.

5% fee tacked on by Paypal. Crazy.

Some dumb wing nut will say "Raise your price to cover the fees."

Answer: What happens when you raise price? Nobody will buy it.

So, conclusion is to find somewhere else to sell where they don't "tack on' lots of fees which kill your business.

Message 1 of 178
latest reply
177 REPLIES 177

Re: Ebay Fees too High .. sellers leaving in droves.

I had a net profit of $467 at the end of the month and made it within the month.

I recieved $420 of that $467 and now am being charged a $43 final fee and they added $20 fee for New Activity?

It horrid how much i actually lost from selling it was $103. I assumed that the 10% that i lost was fine but paying for it?

First time selling with Ebay and now the last time. No fees selling in person

Message 31 of 178
latest reply

Yes, it's actually 15% or more that is being taken from (FVprice + shipping) in the end and it's still taken if the buyer backs out and you have to cancel. Tell me, this month, how am I paying more in my invoice than I even made- it's very bad business, I'm going back to Etsy, with my fingers crossed they aren't as crooked as this. At least on Etsy, if I sell something for 80$ total, I'll at least receive about 50$something, rather than being in the negative... eBay is powered by demonic forces, not people. 

Message 32 of 178
latest reply

Agreed! I just closed my account after almost 7 years I loved it when I first started. Now I’m getting invoices for over $100 a month! That’s more expensive then my phone bill! Also I used to be able to speak with someone easy now I get sent on a run around only to end up back at a “help page” there is no way to actually talk to a human anymore. Smh sad. 

Message 33 of 178
latest reply

12.35% selling fee? 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ And they charge that not only on item but shipping cost. I just sold an item.

Explanation of sale.
Sold for $77
Shipping $13.95
Tax (EBay collects) $6.37
Total............$97.32
Subtract fees.......$12.32
Amount to me.......$78.63 but I must pay shipping out of this.
If shipping is correct $13.95 then my balance is $64.68

EBay added the fee that PayPal was getting to their fee. This is getting CRAZY. We keep prices down because of shipping costs but there is barely any profit margin now.

As big as EBay is why can’t they just charge something like 5%? They would still be raking in the money.

I don’t think it’s worth all my time and effort when only making so little on each sale. I have 306 items listed as a way to subsidize my SSDI but it isn’t really helping after all the time and fees. Any recommendations? Thanks 

Message 34 of 178
latest reply

I'm getting confused lately. The last two items I sold, the payment transaction went through just Ebay, not Paypal. Is this something that Ebay started to do... combine the fees with them and paypal? I basically didn't get a payment through paypal anymore, my funds are on my ebay payments.

Message 35 of 178
latest reply

Point is, they dont seem to understand a few things over the years. Why would I want to sell something here when they take 12% of it from me.  If I sell something for 200 I **bleep** sure don't want to give them 24$ plush fees on shipping plus PayPal fees. 

And with all the avenues for self promotion its easier than ever to post on your own social media and sell things. 

They **bleep** off the sneaker community and so now you have sneaker specific selling sites. 

Message 36 of 178
latest reply

If you sell coins for instance go to USA coin book. They charge no listing fees and only 2% when coin sold. They also do not charge illegal sales tax on sale of coins as Ebay is doing.

Message 37 of 178
latest reply

Yes. eBay actually sucks. I know about the fees. But after selling an item, I again was shocked with the eBay + Paypal fees. It is horrendous. I will probably list another item and unfortunately the fees will be added to the price. After that, delete my account and goodbye eBay and probably Paypal as well. The fees are too high for the added value. 

Message 38 of 178
latest reply

I like your idea of creating a new selling place called fBay. Thanks!

Message 39 of 178
latest reply

Capitalism and Greed in full effect.

I sell media like DVD s& Blu Rays, Ebay charges 12%!!!

Buyers also now pay the Internet Trump tax that he enforced and got passed in 2018.

Plus PayPal fees.

So much unnecessary middlemen.

If Ebay CEO's only charged 1% fees they would still be Billionaires.

Message 40 of 178
latest reply

I've had it with eBay & PayPal!!! I started using eBay in 2001 (I think) BEFORE PayPal even existed. Now I have a feedback of 1030...ALL positive, with NO negative OR neutral feedback!

I haven't used it alot over the last 2+ yrs due to not having the $ to buy stuff, or the time to list stuff (including all the things I did to get photos, descriptions, pricing, etc ready to list on eBay).

But I decided to list stuff on eBay (Canada) in Oct/Nov 2020 & had 2 buyers from the US. One item sold for $43.31 Cdn & the other sold for $185 Cdn.

I later went to send someone a payment via PayPal, & saw that eBay charged me fees totalling $228.31 Cdn...WHAT??? That's 30.59% of the $ I got from the buyers!!! I assume this includes the listing fees, but NOT PayPal's fees

Are they flippin INSANE??? If this is what they normally charge sellers now, I'M DONE with eBay!!! Good riddance you greedy buggers!!!

Message 41 of 178
latest reply

We don't sell any good stuff on Ebay now. Just cheap **bleep**. They're slicing their own throat.

Message 42 of 178
latest reply

Hmm, I just came here to read updates - I just got charged 23% on a sale on Ebay - just a couple of weeks after

Ebay dropped Paypal.

Message 43 of 178
latest reply

Wait, I had to look again, they have changed the way they took my shipping out & it was rolled in the final fee.  So....14% is the bottom line of what I was charged.

Message 44 of 178
latest reply

why isn't this Tech Headline news?

Message 45 of 178
latest reply