cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Fees too High .. sellers leaving in droves.

Ebay Final Value Fees are too high. They won't learn till the sales drop and drop. Also, gimmicks not working.. all the games they play with the web pages  ..just irritating.

10% fee on final sales and Shipping Cost! Crazy.

5% fee tacked on by Paypal. Crazy.

Some dumb wing nut will say "Raise your price to cover the fees."

Answer: What happens when you raise price? Nobody will buy it.

So, conclusion is to find somewhere else to sell where they don't "tack on' lots of fees which kill your business.

Message 1 of 178
latest reply
177 REPLIES 177

I agree, eBay is just greedy now. I hope something new comes along.

Message 16 of 178
latest reply

Mercari is much better. 10% fee. simple. Just wish they had auctions.
Message 17 of 178
latest reply

UNBELIEVABLE!  There is no customer service.  You only get info from other ebayers.  That’s why these “message boards” were so nicely created to “help” us.  There’s no one there.  But someone is taking our money very readily.  Why don’t THEY just answer our questions?  It’s a billion plus dollar company, you’d think it could hire an actual human or two.  It’s all about GREED.  There has to be SOMEONE out there who can develop another universal selling platform that’s user friendly.  Then come up with an oppositional name for it like antiBay.com, fBay.com (we all know what the f would stand for) or  screwBay.com.  And then,  sink $ into major ADVERTISING  for just a month and  you’d be set for life!!  Come on you geniuses out there!  In this day and age it’s pathetic that all we have is eBay and Craig’s list (where people die and get scammed all the time).  With businesses closing, letting people go and losing $, we’re all needing to sell our stuff SOMEWHERE because we’ve lost are jobs! eBay hasn’t missed a beat!  Still raking it in.   I just tried to tag this and  Can you believe it won’t let me use words like too, with, are and no?!

Message 18 of 178
latest reply

Spoiler
Thanks!  I’ve never heard of Mercari or Market Place.  I’ll try both!  Someone needs to develop a new selling platform and call it Fbay.  All knowing what the ‘f” would stand for!
Message 19 of 178
latest reply

I closed my ebay store due to coronavirus.  I received a message all the listings would be lost and I accepted this even though a tremendous amount of work went into the photos and listings.  Instead, ebay relisted all my items outside of a store and charged me a ton of insertion fees - far higher than relisting them in the store would have cost.  Repeatedly on the phone, ebay has said they would remove the fees only for me to receive an email saying the fees are valid.  This is theft, fraud, and incompetence.  Ebays new coronavirus business model is to steal from their customers by listing items the seller never agreed to and charging them for it.   It is theft, outright, behind a wall of incompetent "customer service".

Message 20 of 178
latest reply

There are no live people.  It’s run by humanoids.

Message 21 of 178
latest reply

I completely agree.
Message 22 of 178
latest reply

Im working on it.

Message 23 of 178
latest reply

I just got complete sticker shock as well after selling an item.  I had no idea Ebay processed a flat 10% fee on top of the fees Paypal deducts.  It would have been nice to see the potential "fees" at the time of listing my item vs getting a huge invoice at the end of the month.  Had I known this in advance, I would have sold my item locally.  After checking Tradesy and Poshmark, the ebay fees are still lower, which is awful.  Is there another avenue anyone has found for selling items?  At this point I might just hit some consignment shops - at least they are actually working to sell my item and I feel my fee would be justified.  

Message 24 of 178
latest reply

If you see my eyeballs rolling around grab them for me for they popped out of my head when I was hit with Ebay fees.  There is zero profit to be made once you consider time, etc involved.  I had left eBay for a bit and came back to find it in worse shape than ever for sellers.  The bells and whistle stuff hinders progress and they constantly want more money.  It is literally depressing that this site has fallen as it has and that there is no end in site.  I am very put off by them not being more upfront on fees, etc.  Once my auctions end, I will very rarely list anything moving forward,  Hint to those who want to save grief... forget listing lower priced items.  Nickel and dime stuff will kill you and will lose you money -- something which is hard to forget.  Oh what once was with eBay and seeing what you've become is depressing, sobering and enough to chase me away for good,

Message 25 of 178
latest reply

I been selling on ebay since 1999, business seller since 2006.  Vat registered.  So when i sell an item for £200 ebay gets £20+ the vat man gets £33.33 include packaging etc it starts becoming stupid.   Alot of my competitors have dropped out.  My fees are over £1000 month.  So really considering just spending that money on marketing my own website.   But the fees are a competition killer if you can lower your costs but your competitor can't. 

Message 26 of 178
latest reply

Well poshmark may seem high, in fees, it It does let you know when you list an item How much you will be making. So you're able to adjust and their format is transparent. They incur all the shipping costs unless you lower an item. There are no fees on shipping there are no PayPal fees or any other fees for the expense they incur by taking a credit card. But most people I feel pay through their poshmark bucks. And in order to get things released all you have to do is ensure that you put a note that someone please release your money once it gets there. Honestly it's a very transparent system on poshmark and you can see just by putting in whatever you would like to charge how much money you're going to make and if you lower any item you'll see how much money you're going to make,  rather than getting a bill for 2000 dollars for 2.5 months, as I did . poshmark will not "bill'" you, they take it automatically. 

I am a long time seller on both, but find my dividends are better on poshmark, for sure because they have a transparent model. They do not take anything for being because they send you a shipping label. So, Even though it's 20%, they're Not charging you that on top of the shipping and a PayPal fee, Which ends up sometimes being sometimes 25 30%. 

And small ticket items have a flat fee. 

Message 27 of 178
latest reply

i bet PayPal will charge a flat 10% fee soon and ebay will raise the fee to 12.5 then 15% to make up for leaving paypal . next 20% fee and then 25% fee 😀

Message 28 of 178
latest reply

What I don't understand is the highly competitive pricing with some of these sellers. After shipping costs, paypal fees, and ebay fees.....there is no way some of these sellers are making money on their items.

Unless they are getting brand new (in the box) items for free somehow. This is crazy. I had to revamp my whole pricing structure, and really tighten up my shipping game (free boxes, bulk padded envelopes, usps supplies as much as possible), just to remain competitive and slightly profitable. All this risk for very little reward definitely makes me question ebay as a legitimate option for selling. 

Also, their auto-relist feature.....that has got to go. Every time my item doesn't sell I am charged a fee for relisting. If you don't want it relisted you need to go to the selling dashboard and specifically state to not relist. What some believe to be a helpful feature is just more fees added to you account. If I pay an insertion fee, then that should be the only fee til my item sells or I cancel the listing.

Message 29 of 178
latest reply

Came here to vent, like the rest of you.  I feel like I've been scammed by Ebay.  These fee's are absolutely insane.  I don't know how anyone would make a dime using this service?  Lesson learned I guess.  An expensive one.  Bye Ebay.

Message 30 of 178
latest reply