cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay is Entering the NFT Business, with an Assist from Hockey Legend Wayne Gretzky

The company announced Monday that it's launching 13 limited-edition digital collectibles in partnership with Web3 platform OneOf, each of which contains a 3-D animated rendering of Gretzky making one of his signature moves on the ice. 

NFTs are a type of digital asset created to track ownership of a virtual item using blockchain technology. Such unique items could be artwork or sports trading cards. Each NFT is unique and can't be replicated and accrues value independently, stored in digital wallets as collectors' items.

"Forty years ago, I was grateful to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated, it was a monumental moment in my life," Gretzky said in a statement. "I'm honored to bring this collectible experience to my hockey fans who have followed my career for decades."

There are 142 million eBay buyers worldwide. It is the second-largest player — though a distant second to Amazon — in e-commerce. Electronics & accessories is the company's most popular category, which appeal to a younger consumer demographic. Earlier this month, eBay bought a 25% stake, worth $263 million, in toy maker Funko alongside a consortium including former Disney CEO Bob Iger, sports agent Rich Paul and the Chernin Group.

“NFTs and blockchain technology are revolutionizing the collectibles space, and are increasingly viewed as an investment opportunity for enthusiasts,” said Dawn Block, vice president of collectibles, electronics and home at eBay. “Through our partnership with OneOf, eBay is now making coveted NFTs more accessible to a new generation of collectors everywhere.”

OneOf claims to be a “green” NFT platform that uses energy efficient blockchain technology. The cryptocurrency mining process can use a large amount of energy, in some cases as much energy as entire countries. OneOf, which uses a “proof of stake” blockchain network, claims to use more than 2 million times less energy than what are known as “proof-of-work” networks. Additionally, the company — which to date has focused primarily on the music business — says more than 80% of the collections featured on its platform come from minority creators and women-led projects.

“Our software and eBay's software will be integrated to provide a super easy NFT purchase experience for the consumer,” OneOf CEO Lin Dai told CNBC this past weekend at Gary Vaynerchuk's “VeeCon” — a four-day NFT and Web3 conference hosted in Minneapolis. “Our goal is to bring on the next 100 million [currently] non-crypto users and I think this partnership helps us do that.”

About one-third of eBay's total customer base use the mobile shopping app each month, which makes it the third most popular shopping app in the U.S. after Amazon and Walmart.

Throughout the remainder of the year, OneOf plans to drop additional NFT series' in partnership with eBay featuring some of the most iconic Sports Illustrated covers. The company says each NFT is “priced for the everyday fan” starting at $10 each.

NFT collections have experienced a significant slide in value this month. Some of the more prominent collections, such as Bored Ape Yacht Club and Crypto Punks, saw prices fall 28% and 32%, respectively, according to CREBACO research.

Meanwhile, cryptocurrency — the asset class that fuels each NFT purchase on the blockchain network — has experienced a downturn. The price of ethereum has recently traded down by as much as 60% from its 2021 peak, while bitcoin hit its lowest level since December 2020 last week, under $26,000.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ebay-is-entering-the-nft-business-with-an-assist-from-hockey-le...

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

EBay is Entering the NFT Business, with an Assist from Hockey Legend Wayne Gretzky

Does a person get an actual card, or painting or whatever with an NFT? 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Does a person get an actual card, or painting or whatever with an NFT? 

NFTs are used to track ownership of intangible items.

I am thinking about offering NFTs of trees falling in the forest when no one is around to hear them.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

NFTs the Beanie Babies of the 21st century. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Considering that ebay's top notch, state of the art AI bots have been busy lately taking down listings of a kid's trading card game which also has (physical) tokens as "not following ebay's digital item policy" and a double whammy "selling digitally delivered items in the same listing as physical items" policy (yes they will say you now have TWO policy violations for the one listing), I will be watching with interest to see how well (or not) they manage this new venture and their 'vault'.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Great timing as the NFT market collapsed last week.

But then, everything else did too. So, carry on.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I'm going to stop calling my stuff "used stuff" and start calling it "fungible collectibles for the reality based collector" 

If that term goes viral and becomes trendy, ebay will finally pour money into the stuff we've been selling here for years...

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

So please come to my house to see my new Bugatti La Voiture Noire NFT. 

You can't sit in it or drive it but I can show it to you on my phone as it's in the cloud.

Gotta be dumber than the pet rock. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

And anyone can screenshot an NFT as long as they don't care about actually "owning" a piece of it.

pet rocks indeed.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

And anyone can screenshot an NFT as long as they don't care about actually "owning" a piece of it.

pet rocks indeed.

But a pet rock can be in your hand: real and tangible item.... No space in the clouds......

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@iart 

Another example of eBay chasing and not leading. The NFT market will be swamped and crater. Very few, if any, NFTs will hold value over the long haul.  

Why does eBay feel they need to invest in any market? They are a venue. If NFTs are hot, eBay should make ways for sellers to get involved. Sellers have always defined what works on eBay and what doesn't.

eBay is trying to chase other people's ideas: like the vault and fractional ownership of collectibles. As other markets drop (stocks, real estate) NFT and other "hot" collectible markets will fall as well.

From my POV, NFTs are a speculative market subject to wide swings. The NFTs themselves have zero intrinsic value like say a gold watch, a Tiffany Lamp, etc. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@glasser

I hear you but I think there's a dimension you might be missing. Literally.

Most of our immediate family are gamers. They get absorbed in their games and online communities. Many sites, like FB, are creating virtual worlds where people can hide form the rugged realities of actual life and create personas and lifestyles they cannot in the real world.

Not saying this is good or bad, just that it is happening. And in these worlds NFTs can be very valuable.

Here's an example. I used to play an on-line shoot-em-up zombie game where the creators would occasionally offer for sale something special - like a super-duper machine gun rocket launcher that plays Elvis songs while firing (not really, just an example). Limited and low editions, only available for a short time (and aren't those, really, NFTs?). After that, players can resell them to other players at much higher than the original price (for actual cash!).

The giants are determined to blend reality and fantasy and NFTs stride across the two.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply