cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, September 22 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: Community Chat, September 22 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

In what has become a rather depressing Holiday Tradition, I will once again request  beg ebay to provide is with information in advance about Holiday advertising and promotions they intend to do, so we can try to tie in with the promotions. Thanks for doing me the courtesy of passing this on to whichever team annually tosses my suggestion in their wastecan.

Message 16 of 75
latest reply

Please make Community Chat easier to find. Please add links from general posts to the chat and find a way for sellers to post in advance. The date and times of weekly chats is awkward for many sellers. Why not set up a message queue with some reasonable limits for sellers who cannot be present and may wish to check in later?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 17 of 75
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles 

That is very impressive in this day and age to be married for 39 years.  Congratulations and I sincerely hope that trip was all you hoped it would be and you had a fabulous time in such a beautiful surrounding.

8.JPG

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 18 of 75
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Three or four months ago the shipping team changed some categories to NOT allow for Media mail shipping.  When they did this, they did it by parent category and did not take into consideration the sub categories in many cases.  

This has caused a significant issue for many sellers having to take their business elsewhere because they can't do MM on Ebay.  I've reported this and I've given specific categories that need to be updated, yet here we are.  Still nothing done after all these months.

I have been told that fixing these issues are labor intensive and they were trying to gather together everything that needed to be changed and then do it at one time.  However that was weeks and weeks and weeks ago, still nothing has improved.

I'd like to get a REAL timeline for When or IF this is actually going to be fixed.  I don't think that is an unreasonable request.  If they plan to fix it, when?  If they have decided they aren't going to fix it, then that should be told to us instead of leaving us in limbo.  This issue cause extra work for some sellers plus it costs Ebay money since they are not getting our business for labels.

If they have no intention of fixing it, just let us know.  Then I will just update my shipping procedures permanently and take my shipping portion of my business elsewhere.  After all this time, I just don't see this as something that is unreasonable.

For me, it is the following categories that need to be updated to allow MM.

Crafts-Beads&Jewelry Making-Instruction Books & Media

Crafts-Sewing-Quilting-Quilt Patterns

Crafts- Needlecrafts&Yarn-Crocheting&Knitting-Patterns-Contemporary

Crafts- Needlecrafts&Yarn-Embroidery&Cross Stitch-Hand Embr Patterns & Magazines-Other Patterns & Magazines

Crafts
-Needlecrafts&Yarn-Hand Embr Patterns&Magazines-Embroidery & Cross Stitch-Cross Stitch Patterns

Crafts-Scrapbooking&Paper Crafts-Instruction Books & Media

Hi @mam98031 this is for sure something we're still working on! The next release will align with the category updates (mid October), but know it's in the works!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 19 of 75
latest reply

@mam98031

Yes, my wheel is at top of mouse in the middle.  I pressed it, and got a teeny tiny icon that looks like a mushroom.  However, I do not know what I did, but now it works as it should!

Thank you!

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 20 of 75
latest reply

@tincan630 wrote:

Will you please fix "the search for anything bar" so I can enjoy ebay again?  Clicking on the search for any thing bar now produces a drop down list of recent searches and nonsense suggestions that are useless.  The only search that still works the way I want it to is "advanced search" and constantly going to advance search is a PITA!    Been suffering with this since an ebay update in May and it's driving me away from Ebay. No longer fun or user friendly!!!

Hey @tincan630! Will you give us a little more info about what you're experiencing? Are you typing something in the search bar? Or, are you leaving it blank and then clicking search? The more detail you can give as to how you're running the search, the better we can try to recreate it. Thanks! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 21 of 75
latest reply

Again, with Q4 almost here, can you confirm that we will have the new store tools (announced in the Fall Update) before October 1st?

-----

Message 22 of 75
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Three or four months ago the shipping team changed some categories to NOT allow for Media mail shipping.  When they did this, they did it by parent category and did not take into consideration the sub categories in many cases.  

This has caused a significant issue for many sellers having to take their business elsewhere because they can't do MM on Ebay.  I've reported this and I've given specific categories that need to be updated, yet here we are.  Still nothing done after all these months.

I have been told that fixing these issues are labor intensive and they were trying to gather together everything that needed to be changed and then do it at one time.  However that was weeks and weeks and weeks ago, still nothing has improved.

I'd like to get a REAL timeline for When or IF this is actually going to be fixed.  I don't think that is an unreasonable request.  If they plan to fix it, when?  If they have decided they aren't going to fix it, then that should be told to us instead of leaving us in limbo.  This issue cause extra work for some sellers plus it costs Ebay money since they are not getting our business for labels.

If they have no intention of fixing it, just let us know.  Then I will just update my shipping procedures permanently and take my shipping portion of my business elsewhere.  After all this time, I just don't see this as something that is unreasonable.

For me, it is the following categories that need to be updated to allow MM.

Crafts-Beads&Jewelry Making-Instruction Books & Media

Crafts-Sewing-Quilting-Quilt Patterns

Crafts- Needlecrafts&Yarn-Crocheting&Knitting-Patterns-Contemporary

Crafts- Needlecrafts&Yarn-Embroidery&Cross Stitch-Hand Embr Patterns & Magazines-Other Patterns & Magazines

Crafts
-Needlecrafts&Yarn-Hand Embr Patterns&Magazines-Embroidery & Cross Stitch-Cross Stitch Patterns

Crafts-Scrapbooking&Paper Crafts-Instruction Books & Media

Hi @mam98031 this is for sure something we're still working on! The next release will align with the category updates (mid October), but know it's in the works!

Thank you for the timeline.  It is just so disappointing that Ebay makes us deal with their mess up for about SIX MONTHS before they take the time to fix it.  This causes financial injury to each seller that has to deal with this mess in added time to go around the mistake by Ebay's tech team.  

This is just another example of Ebay dismissing the problems it causes the sellers and only looking to what best suits Ebay and/or the tech team.

Is it any wonder why so many sellers say that Ebay doesn't value them????

Message 23 of 75
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

ebay appears to be having ---again---a glitch with Seller Initiated Offers in which the ebay message to buyers is (erroneously)  telling them that the seller does not ship to them.  SIO is one of the better things ebay launched recently, but this glitch completely undermines its usefulness...and we are, what less than 2 weeks away from the start of Q4?  Any estimated time to get this fixed? 

Also, many sellers are probably sending out offers without even knowing this is happening....since we can't send an offer to that same watcher more than once, each offer we send is killing a sales opportunity. You guys really need to ANNOUNCE that this glitch is happening, so that sellers can either 1. refrain from sending offers till it is officially (and hopefully permanently fixed) or any offers we send need to include something like this: 

PLEASE NOTE: If you are in the US, and this message states "This item does not ship to you"---that statement is incorrect, it is an ebay glitch. I ship to anywhere in the US. You should be able to accept this offer without any problem.

Q4 is nearly here. This needs to be fixed NOW. 

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques there is a tech issue around that error ('this item does not ship to you') currently being worked on, without any estimated time of resolution. If you have an example item number I can attach to the open report I can get your account added!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 24 of 75
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

velvet@ebay 

On one of the threads about the return timeframe glitch, @coffeebean832 brought up an important point that it appeared there had been an unannounced change in policy sometime last November.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Okay-How-long-do-buyers-have-to-return-item-after-they-file-a/... 

returns.png

returns2-1.png

Specifically it seems eBay changed the timeframe for returns with eBay generated labels from 10-15 days to 15-35 days.

While I understand this ultimately wasn't relevant to the specific issue with the technical glitch, I still think it's important to note that something in the return timeframe policy *did* change, even if it was last year.

When exactly did that policy change and why did eBay not make an announcement about it?

I don't have that information for you @valueaddedresource, but will pass the question on to the appropriate team and let you know what they say!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 25 of 75
latest reply

A question regarding where to post information.    Today there's a pretty informative announcement concerning Postal rates for the holidays......USPS, UPS, FedEx.........  I started to post about it to the selling board.........  But I'm pretty sure it would be moved to the Shipping Board, despite the importance to sellers..........  Don't want to get into trouble questioning moderators.....but is there any way to figure this out?  Are there key words we could use to insure it STAYS on the selling board? 

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 26 of 75
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

@mam98031

Yes, my wheel is at top of mouse in the middle.  I pressed it, and got a teeny tiny icon that looks like a mushroom.  However, I do not know what I did, but now it works as it should!

Thank you!

@disneyshopper 

It was likely that wheel button.  Honestly, over the years I've done this many times.  And a couple of pushes on that wheel snaps things back into line each time.  I'm VERY glad it worked for you too.

Message 27 of 75
latest reply

tyler@ebay What about an announcement? This is probably happening to a lot of sellers who don't even know it is happening....shouldn't they be alerted?  

-----

Message 28 of 75
latest reply

What happened to Sold items in the left panel of search? It is difficult enough to price one-of-a-kind collectibles. Inability to access recently sold listings seems like a giant step backwards. Search results pages remain difficult to use. Most filters are useless, especially when eBay predefined Item Specifics values are off kilter. Page navigation at the bottom is awkward, especially when searching for listings in the middle of search results. In addition to returning motorcycle parts, search for a stamp like Scott Catalog number 500 returns so many irrelevant results, that on-target results are difficult to find. If a search returns 40 pages of results with 200 items on each page, why is it do difficult to jump to page 19 or page 33? In some ways eBay search is superior to Amazon search because it does not so readily ignore dimensions or sizes, but results are not good, especially in the Stamps category, where a catalog number Item Specific is needed.

Why is eBay removing capabilities instead of working on better navigation and more professional Item Specifics and catalogs. Who can use crowd sourced eBay catalogs with randomly inferior pictures often questionable properties and attributes?

-----

Message 29 of 75
latest reply

Hmm the promotional thing and paying for key words etc:

How does this work with words that are intellectual property right of others, and folks paying for such usage to eBay??

-----

Message 30 of 75
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: